Thread: Garden season ending, was a good one though

Default Garden season ending, was a good one though

More rainy day projects. (Rainy season, must be close to moose season)
    Picked almost the last of the broccoli & got 9 more quart freezer bags in the freezer.
    Have 1 more uncut broc. & a few side shoots to eat off of a few more times. I broke all the big old leaves & chopped up into the compost bin.
    The green house is slowing down & real wet inside from condensation. Some mold starting to grow. Very few blooms on the cucs now.
    Need about a week of nice weather to get some green beans. Ate one mess so far, hoping to freeze some.
    One more bed of beets to freeze up.
    Some zucs, but no new ones, too wet to get them pollenated. Lots of rotten ones on the plants, I threw in the compost.
    Eating potatoes now, they are doing well.
    Been eating peas, may get enough to freeze some up.
    Pumpkins turning color, got a few pretty good sized ones.
    Sun flowers are not going to make seeds, some years I get some but not this year.
    Still some lettuce growing but slow, but enough for some good salads.

How did/is everyone else's gardens? (other than wet )

Attached Images Attached Images

Our broccoli is about the same as your's.. got a lot of broccoli in the freezer, Finally got enough beans for a mess of snap beans and bacon, There would be a lot more if we'd ever get 3 days of sunshine in a row.. The carrots are just now getting big enough to harvest. Got a couple baggies of them in the freezer. Our beets made a poor showing this year, not sure why.. The peas are just now starting to produce well.. and the raspberries could really use some sunshine too... Wife picked about 3 gallons the other day, but there are zillions of green berries left to ripen... Still have 2 cuc's left to pick, and getting 1 or 2 tomatoes a day... but I think we're going to end up with a lot of green tomatoes to bring inside to ripen.. Should have a nice crop of brussel sprouts to pick after the 1st frost. After the grandkids went home, I gave away 2/3 of our strawberry plants to make room for another raised bed...

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    I gave away 2/3 of our strawberry plants to make room for another raised bed...
    Thank you again for giving me some of your strawberry plants, John. I'm planting them in Soldotna this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by northbird1 View Post
    Thank you again for giving me some of your strawberry plants, John. I'm planting them in Soldotna this weekend!
    I hope it works out for you... as a suggestion, I'd give them a shot of compost/manure when you plant them... Maybe cover them with straw or leaves this fall...

I hope it works out for you... as a suggestion, I'd give them a shot of compost/manure when you plant them... Maybe cover them with straw or leaves this fall...
    I'll sure do that. I'll let you know next year how they do. About what time of the year do they normally start growing the new growth?

Quote Originally Posted by northbird1 View Post
    I'll sure do that. I'll let you know next year how they do. About what time of the year do they normally start growing the new growth?
    I usually cover mine with straw (or leaves) and right after all the snow is gone and I rake the straw (or leaves) off you can see new growth start...

I usually cover mine with straw (or leaves) and right after all the snow is gone and I rake the straw (or leaves) off you can see new growth start...
    Thanks for the good information, John. I really appreciate your help (and the plants).

yeah! you have said exactly . I hope that it should bit longer. !

Mine is doing great. I just put in my fall crops and still getting lots of tomatoes. My cucumbers are just about done. I am still waiting for my watermelons to ripen. I have a winter squash, Long of Naples, that I have harvested 135# from with 5 still growing and more female blossoms on the way. They average about 25# each with a range from 13# to 36#.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Harvested cabbage, onions, shallots, celery, peas, beans, zucchini, lettuce, broccoli yesterday. Have more of each still going strong. Plus beets, carrots, potatoes, and outdoor tomatoes. We have several more weeks of good outdoor production. Just need to protect from the early frosts. A simple drape of visqueen does that easily enough.

Good to hear others AK gardens are doing well.

I was just in the garden pulling out some of the plants & throwing them into the compost bin.
    A few Zucs got some wind damage & some got a mold growing on the main stem so they were done.
    Like you still getting lots of stuff except onions, root maggots got most of them.(even with wood ashes about 1/2" deep on top of the soil around them).
    Will get enough broc side shoots for a few more meals.
    I tried some acorn squash, the plant/vine got huge but not blooms or squash so I composted it also. Temps I guess.
    2nd cabbage heads (kinda like side shoots on broc) are doing good, a few we ate already.

Bad 5 letter word "FROST".
    Yea, could happen anytime now. I may protect the zucs that are still producing but that's about all I have that the frost will kill. Potatoes & pumpkins need a frost to hit before digging/picking for long term storage.

All in all still doing pretty good eating out of the garden.

What a day!! SUNSHINE yesterday & today, Green house fan running almost all day.

I heard brussels sprouts were good to have the frost hit also. True??

Brussels will do fine into hard freezes. In fact the cold really pushes their production. A few frosts are exactly what you want.

Thanks
    I can go hunting & not worry then.