Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-herring trolling options

Default Non-herring trolling options

Being a Midwestern guy fishing Lake Michigan, we never used herring while trolling. What are some of the other regular options guys are using trolling for silvers? Dodger and flies, spoons, crankbaits, J-plugs?

Secondly, outside of a herring and a bait clip or fly, what are guys pulling behind a dodger up here?

PK

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by pk_in_ak View Post
    Being a Midwestern guy fishing Lake Michigan, we never used herring while trolling. What are some of the other regular options guys are using trolling for silvers? Dodger and flies, spoons, crankbaits, J-plugs?

Secondly, outside of a herring and a bait clip or fly, what are guys pulling behind a dodger up here?

PK
    All of the above, plus large spinners (Tee Spoons), swim baits, hootchies, kwik fish... On a bet once, my buddy trolled a large musky bait (gawdy in-line spinner with large skirted hooks) while I trolled herring. I told him I would buy lunch if he was able to catch a silver on that rediculous looking contraption. Lunch cost me $25 bucks that day!!

I grew up fishing out of Grand Haven and Manistee.
    Last edited by Frostbitten; 08-17-2011 at 15:13. Reason: additional info

#6 Blue Vibrax Spinner and Brad's Super Cut Plug Herring.
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Well I always start with an Apex then move on to T-spoon spinners. If that doesnt work I break out the Coyote spoons and pixies followed by the famed hoochie (with or without the spin n glow in front) and on to the coho fly. On a really tough day I dig deep and break out the small and shiney food prep sink rigged with tandem trebles . In various colors of course.

Seriously though, the Apex is a killer and spinners have always worked well for me. If you use the hoochies behind a dodger/flasher make sure your leader is no more than 18" to give it good action. 16" works best for me.

cohos are just about as dumb as humpies, so fish with whatever you want. I like flash/hooch personally, but anything works.

I've done well with magnum wiggle warts, krocodile spoons, and even K-13 kwikfish.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Agreed 100% Saltwater cohos are flat out pigs. They eat anything in sight. I've caught them while halibut fishing a belly strip on a 12/0 circle hook. The key is to be where they are, and have some kind of hook in the water.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Brad's Cut Plug is by far my favorite. For 15 years fishing in SE Alaska my rig was always a flasher and hootchie combo, just like 270's rig. I used a set of sliding 4/5 hooks ~ each hook got a strip of herring. Worked well, but I hate fighting a flasher, and it takes some time to get all that gear back in the water. With Brad's you just pull the hooks back in and away it goes. More time in the water, more fish.

But 270's right, Silver fishing is about finding the fish, after that just about anything brings them in.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Yep if it is brite colored and fast moving...silvers will hit it...once you find the fish, you don't even need a herring..."fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    cohos are just about as dumb as humpies
    He, he, he. I don't know about that but once they're around, and you find them, about any color works. If they're scarce you have to work a little harder.

Just adding my two cents: I think with silvers as long as you work the water column to find them they're going to hit anything that looks remotely like it's swimming and will fit in their mouths. I really wonder how many times I've been trolling too deep or too shallow and went right by the fish. It would be cool to see some underwater videos of coho hitting a lure or a herring and see if they'll come up or dive down to chase one (or how far they'll go vertically to chase the bait or lure).

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    He, he, he. I don't know about that but once they're around, and you find them, about any color works. If they're scarce you have to work a little harder.
    That's true. Finding them can be a challenge, if their isn't a million around. Nothing is worse than slow coho fishing.

I was on a "Fish House" charter boat out of Seward on Friday. We had 10 on board and were fishing out in the sound. Mooching, the silvers were at the top 20 feet of the water column. I've fished for 30 years and have never seen this before, I'd bring my bait up to 10-15 feet and you see two to three fish all fighting to grab the bait. Was some fun fishing.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by Bibico View Post
    Just adding my two cents: I think with silvers as long as you work the water column to find them they're going to hit anything that looks remotely like it's swimming and will fit in their mouths. I really wonder how many times I've been trolling too deep or too shallow and went right by the fish. It would be cool to see some underwater videos of coho hitting a lure or a herring and see if they'll come up or dive down to chase one (or how far they'll go vertically to chase the bait or lure).
    Coho's mark easily, and once you get an idea what depth they are liking, adjust.. When I guide, my clients mooch. My eyes are glued to the sounder, and I tell the guys what depth they need to be at. First one there gets a bite. I'd say I mark and we catch 85-90% of our cohos right off the bottom, if we are in less that 100' of water. Most sport guys trolling around me have it stuck in their heads that they need to troll shallow for 'ho tho, and miss out on a lot of fish.

I will say, that an 11" flasher gets the cohos coming from greater distances than spoons. I've watched them come from 30+ feet on the sounder to hit a trolled flasher. I've watched a king come up 100' on a sounder to hit a 11" flasher.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    I was on a "Fish House" charter boat out of Seward on Friday. We had 10 on board and were fishing out in the sound. Mooching, the silvers were at the top 20 feet of the water column. I've fished for 30 years and have never seen this before, I'd bring my bait up to 10-15 feet and you see two to three fish all fighting to grab the bait. Was some fun fishing.
    We get that occasionally here. Hard as hell for people to hook them, if they can watch the bite! Not to mention the mooching weights flying at my face all day, when they are biting up top. haha

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    That sounds like Valdez last Friday.
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Something that can be trolled fast enough to keep up with the 5" tomic that should be under your "typical" gear 90% of the time. For me this is a commercial 11" flasher and a hoochie rigged with a fair-sized single stainless siwash hook.

I fish the tomic 65+ feet down and it hits big silvers and will pick up feeder kings in the area. It's a rare day that I pull it out of the water in favor of a more typical silver rig. Too many kings around to risk not having it in the water.

Diver with coyote spoon, longest gaudiest apex, or 4" tomic out the back to cover the shallow water. All of these lures tow well at speed.

When everyone keeps saying hoochie what are you referring to? Just a squid skirt looking thing?
    Sorry but I am unfamiliar with the terminology.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by ak_mathews View Post
    When everyone keeps saying hoochie what are you referring to? Just a squid skirt looking thing?
    Sorry but I am unfamiliar with the terminology.
    Exactly right.

Take your pick!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast