Thread: below Skilak

Default below Skilak

has anyone ever hunted below Skilak lake on the Kenai? When I was fishing there one september I saw some guys going out and was wondering how it hunts with fishing boats and other traffic around?

Never fished it, but often wondered the same thing. I think it should be good, perhaps later in the season when things start to dry up here around Anchorville. Got two friends with boats that want to check it out. If I do this year, I'll let you know what happens...

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

A friend of mine used to do it every year. He knew of some spots that always held ducks and would cut the motor and drift or sometimes stop and hide the boat and hunt from shore knowing ducks would show up.
    Not sure how it would be nowadays with the increase in boat traffic the last few years.
    Probably worth a try though.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by hookedonquack View Post
    has anyone ever hunted below Skilak lake on the Kenai? When I was fishing there one september I saw some guys going out and was wondering how it hunts with fishing boats and other traffic around?
    That use to be one of the better duck hunting areas we had on the peninsula. Since the rainbow fishery became so popular it isn't as good and it is difficult to hunt without stressing over where the heck everyone is, at least it is for me and thus I only hunt there the occasional weekday late in the year when there are less people around.

Default thanks

You know that's exactly what I was assuming. The last few year when I trout fish up there it is just ridiculous how many boats are on the river it would stress me out "keeping tabs" on everyone as you say. Plus, I saw an attachment on the forum about the new regs for the lower Kenai and it looked about as inviting as doing my income tax.. haha. But it is amazing how many birds are on that river, so a fella has to ask.

it can make for a great cast and blast lol. get away from the high traffic areas and there is lots of birds to be had. even after the marshes freeze over. PM me late oct. i'll be hunting it

I'll be sure to do that