Thread: Float Hunting out of Kotz

Default Float Hunting out of Kotz

Hi Guys:

I use to operate a Gear rental business out of KOTZ from 2002-2008( Northwest Alaska Back Country). We moved but still get lots of inquiries about the ins and outs of doing float trips up in the Noatak andů.. My question is what are you guys doing for gear rental now? Are there any of the flight operations who are offering camps, Rafts ect and is yes who are they?

I am trying to send folks to some one but it appears to be a void? Any input would be great.

Walt

Gulkana River Raft rentals
    Mile 127.5 of the Richardson
    The Gulkana and Delta Rivers

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    it appears to be a void?

That is an understatement

With you gone, Eric Sieh changing jobs, and Buck Maxson retired/semi-retired, I don't have anyone in Kotz left I trust. Will be giving lots of thought when planning future trips up that way. You guys were the back bone of bush trips out of Kotz. Got all my own gear now, but still need to find a reliable local pilot. Jared will get next crack it appears.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Jim Kincaid with Northwest Aviation offers raft rentals but I don't think they have tent, stove, other camp gear available.

Jared, with Deltana Outfitters, is a great pilot, but I don't think he rents gear. You can rent in town, and ship up gear via Era or Everetts or NAC.

The reason that I am asking is I get 12-15 guys a season who write me and seek advise and need gear ect.. I am toying with the idea
    of heading back up just for Sept and setting up a limited shop for 2012 or 2013. Its all a thought right now but I really thought that some one would slide in behind me and fill that nich but it did not happen. Good market for a guy who has the gear and the connections. This is all just a shopping trip as i start to see if it workable.

Thanks for the feed back guys.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    907-822-4290

Default Ram aviation

I think Ram Aviation does raft and gear rentals,

You left a hole when you left, Walt. If the money is there, go for it. You know the transporters up there, ask them what's going on there.
    Good Luck.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks Marten:

I am working on it. I think I can pull it togeather for 2012 maybe. I need to work on the details.

Walt