Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Brooks Range Sheep

Default 2011 Brooks Range Sheep

After too many unsuccessful sheep hunts, this one went our way. We flew into our area two days before season, after setting up camp we headed out to scout the area and spotted some rams that first eveningcamp2.jpg The next day we hiked a couple miles from camp and saw 30+ sheep and 3 good rams. Things were looking good for the opeing, but the weather soon changed and we spent most of opening day in the tent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Rams

We had the same crappy weather the next day, around 7 PM the clouds moved out and we spotted a ram a couple miles from the ridge we were sitting on and decided to get closer. 2.5 hrs later we found ourselves above 4 rams, 3 of which were legal. By 9:30 PM we had our rams on the ground, my first

Default rams

both of the rams were a couple inches past full curl, but yet only 7 yrs old, My partners has a nice flare to it and both had dark sides

Default rams

A couple morerams1.jpgrams2.jpg

Default Fun is over

We had 2.5 miles of packing ahead of us, though the rams were not big bodied, we still had over 100lbs on our back with a high saddle to cross over, getting too old for this kind of thing. didnt get back to camp untill late that night

Default Weather

we had to finish packing in the rain and waited 3 days to get out due to low clouds and high winds. The cub arrives in the morning and it felt good to be out with my first Ram

Congrats guys !!

congrats to you and your friend!

Seeing all these sheep hunt reports is really setting in the bug to plan a trip to experience this level of hunting. The country of these animals just looks absolutely amazing and therapeutic!

Nice work. Congrats!
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Nice work guys!!! Man of all the sheep areas I want to know about yours is right up there. I wanna shoot one nestled next to a spruce tree Seriously though, congrats is in order!!!

Thanks for posting the results of your great trip. I can't keep the stories straight - going to have to start taking notes.

Fantastic - very happy for you and your buddy - sometimes one has to push the old bones to get it done and it sounds like ya did!
    I'd been wore out just packing all them rocks around your tent!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Good on you. A guy needs some luck to go with his hard work.
    Are we to believe you 2 made those rock walls around your camping spot?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Congratulations, the smiles say it all. It's killing me that I didn't get out sheep hunting this season.

Steve

People of China built The Great Wall Of China, so why couldn't we build that little wall?

Overall it was a great hunt and I had a good hunting partner to share it with. I was glad to be there when AKhunter02 finally killed his first ram. But yes it pushed the old and broke bones to the limit.

Default Great Wall

This area is truely special, You hear about rams being taken in the timber now and then, Rob made a hell of a shot it that ram moving thru the spruce. Rob is the best hunting partner one could ask for, he has a keen eye and a nack for finding game, wouldnt have harvested my first ram without him and couldnt ask for a better 50th B-day present.

what else does one have to do with bad weather than build a wall? needed a place to dry out our gear

Congrats guys, awesome pictures. Never been much past Fairbanks, maybe next year.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Congratulations on the pair of rams! It sounds like the two of you have a healthy respect for each other and genuinely enjoy the company. Good for you guys.

Nice job guys, just goes to show that us "Ol' Fifties" can still get around in the sheep mountains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast