Thread: Kashwitna

Default Kashwitna

Ran the Kashwitna yesterday, too skinny but fun.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Bit of the Big Su as well, very nice!6053255353_ce90c1a41b_b.jpg6053793802_9ce66d3a47_b.jpg
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Rick How far did you go up the Kashwitna? Was river high? Never run it but have heard that it was a rock fest and not a easy river.
    Glad to see you enjoying the Scott. Kurt

The canyon narrows in about 18 miles up stream of the mouth, we could see the hills without issue so between that and run time I'd say about 16 miles. Challanging and rocky is how Tracy and I would discribe it. The air boater I talked to said the river wasnt more than a few inches from normal for this time of year and it didnt look particularly high.

The big su was much easier going and very nice! We saw one, thats right archery moose is open and the fishing in anything clear dumping into the Su is good and we saw one jet boat!
    BHA Member

16 miles up the Kash in a canoe is nutty....how did the 2 mile boulder field treat you at mile at about mile 15?... coming down from that area must have been interesting too, that water is really moving until you get down to mile 11 or so....what motor you running?
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Question

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    16 miles up the Kash in a canoe is nutty....how did the 2 mile boulder field treat you at mile at about mile 15?... coming down from that area must have been interesting too, that water is really moving until you get down to mile 11 or so....what motor you running?
    And better yet, lifted how high and by what mechanism? And with what used as a prop protector? And how did your prop(s) fare?

20 hourse 4 stroke tohatsu, its moutned with the cav plate silghtly higher than the bottom of the boat, I moved it up a bit from where it was mounted before Kurt. It will run surprisingly well with the transome in the "low water" position. Running like that it only needs about 6 inches of water. Slow going but doable and we did line a bit. It has a beaver tail type prop protector and the prop is on a gasket system instead of a key pin. Tjm just helped me fix the distance traveled we turned around at the boulder field so we traveled about 15 miles. I didn't want to say this for fear of sounding bostful but I have run down class 2/3 water many times in a kayak but this was my first experiance running UP that kind of current. Again rocky and challanging fits.
    BHA Member

Oh Steve my prop is beat! Badly! But I expect to eat up props running our rivers.
    BHA Member