Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids, school and hunting?

Default Kids, school and hunting?

How many of you pull your children out of school for more than 5 days? I'm planning on taking my 11 year old on a 8 day moose hunt but kind of apprehensive due to her missing at least 6 days of school. My wife and I like many of you are are really big on school and our kids not missing much if any. My wife is on board and supports this but still kind of unsure. Hoping maybe some our educators can pipe in, in the end if will set her back a few weeks I probably wont 'take her, but if the school can give us her work assignments for those 6 days she can knock them out and turn them in before we take off on our adventure would be cool as well. One last note my daughter lives for the hunting and enjoys her time out in BFE with dad, she is getting that age and here real soon it won't be so cool hanging with dad and chasing moose for 8 days.

Do it! it will be one of the best experiences of both of your lives. Do you recall your first hunt with your dad?

Just my nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    How many of you pull your children out of school for more than 5 days? I'm planning on taking my 11 year old on a 8 day moose hunt but kind of apprehensive due to her missing at least 6 days of school. My wife and I like many of you are are really big on school and our kids not missing much if any. My wife is on board and supports this but still kind of unsure. Hoping maybe some our educators can pipe in, in the end if will set her back a few weeks I probably wont 'take her, but if the school can give us her work assignments for those 6 days she can knock them out and turn them in before we take off on our adventure would be cool as well. One last note my daughter lives for the hunting and enjoys her time out in BFE with dad, she is getting that age and here real soon it won't be so cool hanging with dad and chasing moose for 8 days.
    Certainly every kid/situation is different, however, this can certainly be done. I took my boy on a 7 day hunt, missing 5 days of school. We worked with each of his teachers AHEAD of time and he brought school work to camp with him. He did a little schoolwork each day and didn't fall behind. That was when he was in middle school, but now that he is in high school, it may be a bit tougher for him based on his class load, sports etc.

I say talk to your daughters teachers and see what they think.

My boys miss several days at the start of the year to fall hunting, and the last couple of days every year to spring bear hunting. A lot of family's do it. I've even heard of some crazy folks that take something called "family vacations", what ever those are.
    One think to keep an eye on is the number of "allowable" absences your child can have, Miss to many days total and it could effect them passing the grade.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

She just started middle school as well... So its new to her, time to make new friends etc. Trust me I want to take her with me and I probably will. But I always look ahead and see how this cold affect her schooling and such. I do remember my 1st time hunting with my dad it was a great time she has been out with me before last year her and the wife showed up for 2 days itwas the weekend. She did not want to go back LOL.

you should take her for at least the entire hunt, if not an extra day to help with the processing also. She has the entire rest of the year to sit inside a brick building and plan for her next moose hunt.

I would not recommend presenting it to the teacher as "it would be nice if she could go",but as "our family is going on an 8 day moose hunt, and I would appreciate any lessons/reading you can send with use so that she stays current. We plan to spend time every day in camp working on school work." (even if it's just keeping the school work dry and moving it out of the way to hang/dry more important items)

You might have to push to get some of the reading sent along, maybe offer to pay for photocopies and to perhaps even make them yourself, as teachers are often hesitant to send books home.

You might also discuss with your daughter preparing a report / photo essay / presentation for the science class on her return. I recall a couple of teachers who really enjoyed that when I missed school for blacktail hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    My boys miss several days at the start of the year to fall hunting, and the last couple of days every year to spring bear hunting. A lot of family's do it. I've even heard of some crazy folks that take something called "family vacations", what ever those are.
    One think to keep an eye on is the number of "allowable" absences your child can have, Miss to many days total and it could effect them passing the grade.
    Thanks for the heads up on that I will have to call the school I mena I will have the wife call the school lol.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    you should take her for at least the entire hunt, if not an extra day to help with the processing also. She has the entire rest of the year to sit inside a brick building and plan for her next moose hunt.

I would not recommend presenting it to the teacher as "it would be nice if she could go",but as "we are going on an 8 day moose hunt, and I would appreciate any lessons/reading you can send with use so that she stays current. We plan to spend time every day in camp working on school work." (even if it's just keeping the school work dry and moving it out of the way to hang/dry more important items)

You might have to push to get some of the reading sent along, maybe offer to pay for photocopies and to perhaps even make them yourself, as teachers are often hesitant to send books home.

You might also discuss with your daughter preparing a report / photo essay / presentation for thescience class on her return. I recall a couple of teachers who really enjoyed that when I missed school for blacktail hunts.
    Once things are settled at the school I need to stop in and talk to them. I'm sure they see it every year and have plans in place. Is there anyone else on here that have kids that got to wasilla middle school that have dealt with the middle school in the past. I don't know if most parent just take the kids and don't worry about it until they get back... I'm sure I could have this all figured out today if I called the school I think I will wait until Friday.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

We have four boys in grades 3-8 this year. We never hesitate to take them out of school for family trips or a day here or there for a day trip or just to take a day off with Mom or Dad.

They are only kids for such a short time.

Only reason the ASD does not like, it, (IMO), is if it is not an excused absence they don’t get the money based on the number of kids in school that day.

We have never had a teacher complain about it and all have been willing to give work ahead of time or make up work. We try not to have them absent when there is State testing or such.

And really will it go on their “permanent record”? Don’t know about you all but I had a lot of stuff put on my “permanent record”. Where is that record now?

When I was growing up my parents often took me out of school for family trips sometimes two week hunting trips. I would not trade those times for anything.

My kids get a much better education on our family trips than they ever will in school.

Very true I'm always thinking on hwo things well make a her a more rounded individaul as well. So when she is much older she cna relate to the expierences she had as a kid growing up. Hopefully staying away from the city life and continue hunting as well.

Wow, my daughters are 1 and 4, but I think I've got another justification for home schooling...

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

We thought about home schooling but they would never get much schooling…..I would be the problem…..”Hey the fishing, camping, hunting, hiking, hooligan fishing, boating, snowshoeing, ice fishing, etc, etc, looks like it may be good today…….this school work will wait…..”

As a teacher, I say take her with you! Check with her teacher and see if she can get the work ahead of time so she could work on it while in camp. I do my best to make it as painless as possible for my students and parents!

We live in Alaska for crying out loud! Lots of education takes place at hunting camp and in the field. I give my students an alternative assignment if they are heading out hunting. There is a lot of science "stuff" happening out there. A fresh piece of back strap, tender loin, and pictures brought back from the hunt also help. Do it while your kids are young. Once they hit high school, the absences will effect them.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I was always one of those that got to go with dad growing up and we took these types of vacations. PLEASE take her out and enjoy the time. Don't worry about the school as she will catch up...as I did. I had a boss once when I was going off to college tell me (though your daugher is a ways from college, but notheless it makes sense at all ages) to "not let college get in the way of my education"... Makes a lot of sense. Life lessons are just as important and textbook lessons.

You see that's what my problem was I was addicted to hunting as a kid the older I got the more school I missed which in the end I dropped out. One reason we stay on our kids about school and going to college.

As a teacher, I'm hugely supportive of parents taking their kids out to go hunting. In all honesty, though, you might not get such support from all of her teachers. There are some who aren't as accommodating, but they're required to give make-up opportunities for any excused absences regardless of the reason. It sounds like you've got the right idea, though - try to get her work early, have her work on it either before or during the trip, and then make sure she follows up after the hunt. I know that in my classes there are certain labs and activities that are difficult to make up and that can't be done ahead of time, but if you approach the teachers in advance you should be able to make the situation workable. Like spoiled one, as a science teacher I believe that my students learn far more about biology in the field than in my class, but that doesn't necessarily apply to all classes.

Take your daughter hunting. You most certainly won't regret it.

I would take her (if she wants to go), however there are some steps to take to ensure that her missing school will be least imacting on "HER." Missing 8 days of middle school can really set some kids back and they have a hard tiime adjusting "back to school."

To respond to "hogfamily" response that schools get only funded by the day's students are in school is incorrect. Schools get funded in Alaska by the days a student in enrolled during a 30 day count period in October. Enrolled mean's they are registered in school not that they are present. The FED's however look at attendance rates to determine AYP but 8 or 10 day's is not going to count that negitively toward's attendence rates.

I am a dad of a 14 year old girl that still loves to hunt and fish and I am also an educator. My family values include my kids get an education in the outdoor's as well as school. I would argue the lesson's she will learn with you moose hunting may be more valuable then the classroom.

To make this trip more pain free for your daughter please include her in conversations with her teacher's and principal in finding out what she can do as far as makeup work and or maybe keeping a daily log of the hunt including picture's she can share with her peers and teachers when she returns. The other option is to have her get as much of her school work done ahead of time (before she leaves) so she is not overwhelmed when she returns.

Best of luck and have a great trip!

Rod123,

Thanks for clearing up the funding thing. I was told that a couple of years ago by one of our kid’s school principal when I inquired why the ASD administration was so opposed to kids missing school.

My Son goes to Wasilla Middle and I took him out last year for 5 days for a Caribou hunt. The hunt was a reward for doing exceptionally well in school the prior year. He, his Mother and I spoke to his teachers prior, they set him up with his assignments, then gave him so long to take the tests and other assignments he missed. I felt they were very supportive and made the hunt more enjoyable due to the lack of worry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast