Thread: Yamaha 9.9 kicker not turning off

Default Yamaha 9.9 kicker not turning off

I guess it is a better problem to have a hard time stopping a kicker than getting it started, but I picked up a strange problem with I thought I would see if anyone here could point me in the right direction to fix. My kicker is permanently mounted, and has throttle, starting and choke controls at the real helm with standard Yamaha controls. It starts and runs fine, but when I turn the key off, it just keeps running.

Does anyone know how this works? Is there a kill wire that runs back to the motor that has possibly gotten broken? The way I am currently turning it off is to choke it until it dies.

Thanks,
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Yes there is a control wire that goes back to the kicker that short out the ign, or bring +12v to the ign circuit. I would look at the kicker and see if a wire got disconnected. I would also start the kicker and turn off the start switch. If it still running move the cable around and see if its stops, if it does you have a broken wire or loose connector.

Standard kill on a motor is to touch the neutral to the ground. Grounding out the circuit. Should be a black and a white wire. Look at the back of your main switch (key) and see if one of the 6 wires has come loose. Other option is to see if the ground came unhooked from the engine block. Somewhere you're not making that connection when you turn the key.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    The way I am currently turning it off is to choke it until it dies.

Thanks,
    You should have a safety lanyard with a clip you can pull to shut it off instead of choking it. Not a fix just a temporary solution.

My Suzuki 2.5 had the same problem, the kill switch would not stop it. I found that the wire was disconnected, I imagine it is as simple as that.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

The control box wires are connected thru bullet connectors. At least the last one I fiddled with was like that. (I converted one from electric start/remote to electric start tiller. Lots of head scratching over all them little wires!) The white wire should be the ignition stop wire. I'd check inside the box to assure continuity. While there you can test the circuit. It may be a switch problem. This link may help you.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/y...rolbox.jpg?o=1

Thanks everyone for the input. It was indeed a ground wire that had come loose, so the problem is fixed.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded