Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 4 calibers

Default Which 4 calibers

Im sorry you guys are probably sick of seeing this kind of post. I own a gunshop in ky and have roots in alaska. I am getting sick of people and politics. I am planning on closing my doors for good in april and move back to alaska. I presently own over 150 guns. I am planning on keeping 4 rifles 2 shotguns 2 AR's and my FAL. And a couple of handguns no big deal. What 4 rifles whould you own if you lived either on kenai penn or mat-su vally? I am thinking 338 Win mag, 3006, 270 WSM, 243. what are your thoughts? Do I even need 4 rifles? Keep in mind i am 60 years old and need to be in better shape. Probably hunt black bear, moose, caribou. Thanks rick.

One could easily do with three, 22rf, 223 and 300 win mag.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have three rifles and a shotgun. They are 22rf, 280, and 338 win mag. I'm thinking about adding a 4th in 223 or 220 swift.

.22lr, .223, 30-06.

A .300 or .30-06 and a decent .22 and you're all set. No need for bigger unless you really want a big brownie (maybe not even then) and no need for something smaller unless you want to shoot furbearers. But for the three species you specifically mention that's all you'll ever need.

for hunting Alaska I own 3 a large(375h&h) med(5.56) small(22r.f.). All the others are to control goons if they think they want the first 3
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-rifle-caliber

The link above is the best answer to your questions.

Personally I'd go with a 300WM, a 25-06, and a a 22 rim-fire.

Just my nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Honestly, I think the 4 cal's you mentioned would do just fine...welcome home.

If that's all you are going to hunt, any one of the bigger three would do. My choices would be more like 22rf pistol, 270 and 338 and you could drop the 270 if you wanted as you are keeping a FAL and the ARs to cover the light end.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-rifle-caliber

The link above is the best answer to your questions.

Personally I'd go with a 300WM, a 25-06, and a a 22 rim-fire.

Just my nickel
    Drew
    Perfect response!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by renegaderick View Post
    Im sorry you guys are probably sick of seeing this kind of post. I own a gunshop in ky and have roots in alaska. I am getting sick of people and politics. I am planning on closing my doors for good in april and move back to alaska. I presently own over 150 guns. I am planning on keeping 4 rifles 2 shotguns 2 AR's and my FAL. And a couple of handguns no big deal. What 4 rifles whould you own if you lived either on kenai penn or mat-su vally? I am thinking 338 Win mag, 3006, 270 WSM, 243. what are your thoughts? Do I even need 4 rifles? Keep in mind i am 60 years old and need to be in better shape. Probably hunt black bear, moose, caribou. Thanks rick.
    I like your list as is!

I am planning on keeping 4 rifles 2 shotguns 2 AR's and my FAL. And a couple of handguns no big deal. What 4 rifles whould you own if you lived either on kenai penn or mat-su vally? I am thinking 338 Win mag, 3006, 270 WSM, 243. what are your thoughts? Do I even need 4 rifles?
    All the rifles you listed have taken every big game (and small game) animal in this state, including the ARs.

I really think it should really be what guns do you want to bring with you. Do you have a gun that seems "luckier" than others? If so, bring it. I have a rifle that I love, a custom 'dream gun' that shoots wonderfully, but every time I hunt with it game seems to just disappear !

Bottom line, bring what you want!
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I have 2 22lrs a ruger 1022 tricked out for fun and a slab sided ruger mark III. Those are fun guns. I remember when I lived there before I carried a 338 and a ruger mark I for spruce hens. I have a 25-06 but thinking about letting it go. I have a 45-70 guide gun in the store and I like the way it feels. I have handloaded for 40 years and I have hotrodded a 45-70 so I know they will perform but just not sure if I want to carry it. My 338 has a 20 inch barrel and it has a brake. It is very portable. I have owned 375's and once a 458 but don't see the need anymore. Thought about rebarreling the 25-06 into a 338-06 as I have a lifetime supply of 338 bullets. Thanks for replying you guys are giving me more to think about.

Oddly enough, I think the .338-06 is best caliber for Alaska!

Though I've lived here since I was a kid, I haven't taken anywhere near the amount of game that Stranger has with his 7.62x54R.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

If I were limited to 4 rifles, I can't fathom the thought, I think I'd lean this way. 375 H&H scoped around 8.5-9 pounds (moose, bears, bison, etc.). I'd want a .284 (7mm RM, 280, 7-08, 7x57, etc.)of some persuasion in a relatively light rig under 7.5 pounds scoped (sheep, 'bou, blacktails, etc.) and a 22 centerfire of some sort (all sorts of vermin--foxes, coyotes, wolves, lynx, etc. as well as possible use on blacktails, 'bou and the like). I'm a reloader so a Swift, 22-250, 223, 222, 221 makes little difference to me (otherwise it'd be a .223) and a 22 LR to round out the foursome. If you want four centerfire selections I'd add a 45/70 in a "Guide Gun" configuration for camping, fishing and other similar duties.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

416 rigby, 308, 243, 17 hmr

I have 2 22lrs a ruger 1022 tricked out for fun and a slab sided ruger mark III. Those are fun guns. I remember when I lived there before I carried a 338 and a ruger mark I for spruce hens. I have a 25-06 but thinking about letting it go. I have a 45-70 guide gun in the store and I like the way it feels. I have handloaded for 40 years and I have hotrodded a 45-70 so I know they will perform but just not sure if I want to carry it. My 338 has a 20 inch barrel and it has a brake. It is very portable. I have owned 375's and once a 458 but don't see the need anymore. Thought about rebarreling the 25-06 into a 338-06 as I have a lifetime supply of 338 bullets. Thanks for replying you guys are giving me more to think about.
    Bring the 338 and sell it to someone in Alaska. Find something other than the 25-06 to make the 338-06 or 338-06AI. With your experience & a life time of bullets you could speed up or slow down the AI as needed. Bring the 25-06. Same deal speed it up or slow it down as needed. Loose the 270 WSM, harder to find. With the 25-06 the 243 is just overlap. Bring .22's Bring the 30-06 cause I think there is a law or something that says you have to have one. Everybody else does. That is three. Bring something you really like that doesn't make any sense because you will regret not bringing it. That is four (the .22's don't count). Have fun.

45-70 ...... 300 WM ....... 30-06 and a 22 Mag!
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

I'm a true believer in, using what you got. If you got 150 firearms, well there you go. They'll come in handy a some point, I'm sure.

.375, .300, .22 and an ar for fun just about covers it.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast