Thread: Where to fly fish between Seward & Anchorage?

Default Where to fly fish between Seward & Anchorage?

I've got to find a place near Seward, Anchorage or somewhere in between to fly fish for the day on Sept 4th. Please send me your suggestions! Also, gear suggestions would be appreciated. Waders required? I'll have my 7wt rod with me. I have mostly dry flies but i've read a few thing about "beads" on this forum. Please explain this to an ignorant east-coaster. Thanks!

The kenai or the Russian aren't exactly between anchorage and Seward, but they are not that far and will be good fishing for rainbows and dollys there that time of year. If I where you I'd walk up the Russian river fishing the holes. Yes waders are needed pretty much any where you fish here. Not sure I would bother with the dry flies this time of year but they could work. Fishing beads is pretty easy just peg a bead with a tooth pick 2 ins above the hook. Pick out a 6mm color you think will match the fish eggs in the water. That time of year the eggs will still be on the fresher side. Have fun watch for bears!

Quote Originally Posted by mjivin View Post
    i've read a few thing about "beads" on this forum.

Understatement of the century?

The above suggestion from power drifter is a good one. The Russian and Upper Kenai (near Cooper Landing) are a short distance from the road from Anchorage to Seward. There are several places on the Upper Kenai you can hike in to and fish large gravel bars. Hopefully someone here will add more info, not done it myself and couldn't tell you where to park and such. Like most, I fish this river from my raft. There are mile markers (for each mile) along the highway. If someone was so inclined, they could give you pretty easy to follow directions to one or two places you could park and walk to the river. That is where I would focus my efforts if on foot.

If you got $200 to spend, get Troutfitters (fly shop and guide service) in Cooper Landing to take you on a guided drift boat float on the Upper Kenai. That would be a killer day and Sept is prime time. Will be on the Upper Kenai Sept 5-12 myself. If only fishing one day as you suggest, this would likely be the best option. One thing, you won't be spending $50+ on beads and rigging for one day of fishing as the guide will supply everything you need, knowledge being the most valuable. You deduct your expenses on equipment you don't have, the $200 dwindles down a bit. Also, a float on the Upper Kenai is a great experience to have.

http://aktroutfitters.com/

As for beads, order some custom guide painted beads in 6 mm and 8 mm from the good folks at Alaska Fly Fishing Goods (website). You better get on the ball man, time is short for you. There are a few very good articles that explain bead fishing on that website as well.

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...kenai-101.html

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...-rainbows.html

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...ked-truth.html

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...ext-level.html

"Guide" painted bead...

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...-ruby-roe.html

They got a "Kenai" bead kit as well...

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...ypage.tpl.html

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

A few pics from the Upper Kenai from last September...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Show off! Never get tired of seeing your photos Dan. Looking forward to fall fishing again.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Show off!

Me?

Never.

And last but not least, the best "catch" of my life....

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Looking forward to fall fishing again.

Tell me about it man.

I feel like a fat man looking through the glass window at a cake shop

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Tell me about it man.

I feel like a fat man looking through the glass window at a cake shop

-Dan

or an addict getting his next high!
    "The tug is the drug".

Great info guys, thanks so much!

Stop teasing us Dan! Show us some pictures!

Just fished Ptarmigan creek about 10 days ago on my way to Seward, its about 25-30 miles of town. Dumps into Kenai lake. There is a campground & day parking. Pretty of Reds in stream, so fish a #6 orange molted bead and you should go great on the Dollies and there are also Bows.