Thread: what would you use?

Default what would you use?

If you were going to hunt what ever there is in kenai pennisula and you had a choice between 3 rifles which would you use. A win mod 70 in 338 win mag, weatherby vanguard 300 weatherby mag, winchester mod 70 in 270 weatherby mag. And you could only bring one rifle. Thanks.

A kimber montanna in 7wsm would likely be much more enjoyable to tote in the field than any of those choices.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

If I can't have the kimber I'm going for the .270 model 70

There are innumerable choices and like Paul H given my druthers I'd probably carry something else, but a 338 WM is never a bad choice anywhere in AK. Perhaps not the best choice, but if you shoot it well I'd prefer it to a 24 inch barreled 300 Wby or to the 270 Wby. Of course either of the three will work, but my preference would be for the 338 WM among your listed options.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

.338 would be my choice.
    BK

Another 338 vote here but if I was restrected to one rifle it would be a 45-70 lever gun. 30-06, 308, 7mm08, 300wm, 270 and a long list of others will take any game in Alaska, a guy dosn't "need" a big gun to get it done . . . in fact a lot could be said for the $130 beater Mosin 7.62x51r that is found all over the Bush these days.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default what would you use

I find it interesting that the nagant in 7.62x54R is found all over the bush. We have a lot of them here in ky as well. I have one of all three variants. I shoot the 338 well i have killed a couple deer with it including one on naked island ak several years ago. I mainly use the 270 wby now cause i can shoot about 500 yards in any direction on my property plus theres nothing that can hurt you out here except the neighbors bull. I figured the 338 or 300 wby might be more popular. Back to the nagant. Do the majority of people that carry it carry the FMJ ammo? Soft points here are not too common because of expense. I also own Cedar Ridge Tactical a storefront gun store. www.cedarridgetactical.com I think I will retire though and I am looking to come back to ak. once your a resident you just cant get ak out of your blood. I worked in prudoe bay back in the 80's for 3 years.

338 for me. I like heavy bullets at medium velocity and you can always drop bullet weight if you need more range. With the smaller calibers you can only go so heavy.

I have been shooting a Mod. 70 .338 Win. Mag. on the Kenai since the early 80's, still do. It is all I have used since the mid 70's except for a few deer that I shot with a Mod. 70 30-06. Lots of good bullets for the .338. If you are a high velocity guy use a 210 grain Nosler Partition or 210 grain Barnes X bullet. Lots of guys like the 225 grain Barnes X. I am old school and still use the original 250 grain Barnes X, but I might work up a 210 grain Barnes X load this winter, in case I get the velocity urge, so far I haven't needed it or missed it. There is a good reason the .338 Win. Mag. is so popular in Alaska.

Another .338 vote, ammo is usually cheaper and more plentiful up here in that caliber. Kills everything very cleanly if the shooter does their part, and shoots flat enough for most hunting situations in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    A kimber montanna in 7wsm would likely be much more enjoyable to tote in the field than any of those choices.
    That would be an awesome package and one I would love but of the three choices I would go with the .338 'cause of my aversion to small bullets in bear country.

The .300 mag would be my choice.

Out of your three choices I would take the .338. You will be hunting black bears...

I like two of the three choices but would choose the 300 Win Mag, I know it is not one of the Three
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS