Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unethical hunting, 1000yd shot @ sheep

Angry Unethical hunting, 1000yd shot @ sheep

Where I work we get all sorts of people. I belive that my job is to try to disuade people from doing stupid things. Last week a man comes in ranting about how the 06' is so much better than the .308win. I tell him politly that there is really only about a 10% differance and out to 300yds not manny animals will tell the differance. He says that that was not true and he had shot a full curl ram @ 1000+yds with his 30-06. In not so manny words I told him he was full of it. I exlained to him that there is a diffrance between an army sniper shooting at the enemy and him shooting at game. in war its great if you would the other guy, hopefully you maim him and he is out of the war. In hunting we must place our first shots well and do all possible to kill humainly; if you just want to shoot at distance then go to the range with soup cans, dont shoot at sheep on the other side of a mountian. There are advanced wind judgments, bullet drop and many other things that go into shooting at targets that far away. I know that all of us have probly taken shoots that we should not have, sometimes it works out ok, but when you see that sheep across the moutian, impress me and stalk to within 100-300 yds or so get a good rest and drop him in his bed, then I will be impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsmith80 View Post
    impress me and stalk to within 100-300 yds or so get a good rest and drop him in his bed, then I will be impressed!
    i think that a lot of us tend to forget what the hunt really is, and try to put our faith in equipment, and it is stupid. i remember a conversation on another forum from a guy that wanted to set up a new gun for whitetail hunting, and wanted to be able to shoot them out to 600 yards. sure, it can be done, but it's not necessary. and you're taking big chances at that range.

i tend to try to keep my shots short, but i grew up hunting whitetails in slug gun only territory, so most of the shooting was between 15 and 75 yards. i still rarely shoot much further than 150 yards or so.

i think those extremely long shots are often bad judgment, and they do little for you in terms of how good a hunter you are.

I too am more impressed with stalking abilities and working oneself in for a good shot. Stalking and one shot kills is a worthy accomplishment in my book. Not so excited about Jack O'Connner type shots in order to kill an animal. I have been seeing a number of articles for .50 rifles and suspect there may be a growing group of folks wanting to shoot at these distances (hunt?). I am also not so impressed with tree stands and drives either. Others will disagree.

Default Been done already

This one got pounded to death in the "How Close Do you Get" thread that ran about a week or more ago.....I find that we all as sportsmen like to talk and all have opinions and embelishment is the norm. First off, unless I was looking across an 80 back in Wisconsin, I'd never even know what the hell a 1000 yard shot looked like....much less know if the animal was legal. I'm guessin the guy is full of sh*# and at best it was 500 which is still a long long ways. When it comes to fish size, and shot length, I factor in a nearly 25 to 50 percent BS factor. But this guy could still be a hack. IF so, you are not goin to change his ways without a baseball bat, He's awful proud of that supposed 1000 yard shot and he won't give it up without a fight. You're best bet to help hunting is to get this guy pegged with a felony so he can't handle firearms anymore.

With a tale like that, I'm guessin this guy is a glutton for attention and may even be packin short in the bedroom. Ignore him at the least and shut him up at the best.

well I have taken a bunch of shots at 1k yds. it is possible and might even end in a fairly quick death to a sheep. now for the bs part. where we shoot long range we have the ability to see the breeze, our targets are dead still (silouette) and our shots are fired from a bench.

the things that make me never even consider a shot like that especially in sheep country are, 1 it takes about 13 minutes to walk that far on flat ground......sheep country is not so flat. 2 the longest big game shot I have taken was an elk at 430 yds in the snow it took me a long time to find him and he fell dead from a neck shot. 3 the angle of entry on a 1k shot is ugly with an 06' you would need to hit it inthe spine to score an offside lung.

I would ask this chap how long he thinks his man part is, if he replies 3 feet, well he obviously meant a 300 yard shot, if not you might want to tell him he is a slob hunter from me.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by highcountry View Post

1 it takes about 13 minutes to walk that far on flat ground......

The average human being can walk about 5 miles an hour. Why is it taking you almost a 1/4 of an hour to walk just over a 1/2 miles on flat ground?

Sounds like a tall tale to me.

BTW, the trajectory of an 06 at 1000 yards is not as steep as mentioned in a previous post. The bullet would still be going around 1300fps with less than 1/10 inch drop across 1 yard at 1000 yards.

it takes me 10 to 15 minutes to walk out and reset the silouettes, we are not walking down the road at 5mph we are walking across our range and that is what it takes.....if you want to be the scrimmage hero and run...go for it.

if the sheep was on anything less then the same level the shot would be tough to get both lungs, I would happily debate your 1/10" at 1000 yards. heck sometimes the less then 30 cal guns dont even tip over the targets, and you can see the trajectory in the spotter, she is heading for china.

Default Catch it.....

What's wrong with packin' short in the bedroom???? Please don't discriminate. I admit that I only have 2 inches.................from the floor.

Johnny

P.S.
    When I'm layin' on my stomach of course.......

Default 1000 yards?

Thats over a 1/2 a mile. I cant even see that far, much less shoot!

5 mph is a fast speed for humans walking -- I think 3 to 4 mph is a little closer for humans on flat ground. A mile is equal to 1,760 yards. A 1,000 yards is 0.57 of a mile. At a rate of 5 mph a person walking at this rate would cover 8,800 yards (146 yards a minute); 3 mph -- 5,280 yards (88 yards a minute); 3.5 mph -- 6,160 yards (102 yards a minute); and 4 mph -- 7,040 yards (117 yards a minute). At 3 mph -- it would take 11.36 minutes to walk 1,000 yards -- At 3.5 mph -- it would take 9.80 minutes to walk 1,000 yards -- At 4 mph -- it would take 8.54 minutes to walk 1,000 yards -- At 5 mph -- it would take 6.85 minutes to walk 1,000 yards

Talking Slay at one K

One thing about it...if the animal doesn't go down instantly at a 1k shot, then there's no sense in going that far to check, right????????? Well now comes an interesting observation...some folks I know are too lazy or lack the skills needed to make a long stalk so hence, the need for the mega-mags. Now the other part of the equation...if they are too lazy to make the stalk to begin with, what makes one think that they'll go that far just to check and see if they wounded or killed the animal, if they don't see in go down first? I know some folks, no doubt, have done it with the specialized rigs available now, and trying not to be judgemental, but at what point do we forsake hunting for the sake of killing?

Arrow

Gentlemen, I know the guy was full of it, this jerk had never even seen a sheep let alone, shot one at 1000 yds. But just for the sake of argument, what power scope do you figure would be needed to tell a legal ram at this distance, now figure said sheep is on parallel in height to the shooter, with a possible muzzle velocity of 3000 fps, and a 165gr bullet, the sheep has one second to change his position, and make that unlikley hit into a miss (hopefully) or a crippling would. I have no dout that people make 1000 yd shoots that was not my contention, what was, is that it takes a great shot, with speclised equepiment (none of which is conducive to sheep hunting) to hit consistantly at that range, and those people are shooting at stationary targets, not moving game animals! As for military snipers, well they are hoping to hit someone they will be fairly happy to criple only to die a lingering death later. I hope most hunters do not share this opinion of animals.

In Alaska I've never had to shoot more than 100 yards and put my personal limit at 300 because thats the longest range I have avaible to practice. I wish I had a 500 or 1000 yard range near me because I know I could stretch out farther. Ive never hunted sheep but I would much rather get as close as possible(maybe I'll hit the draw this year) Because of windage issuses anything over around 400 to me seems impractical.(8.5"drift in a 10mph cross wind) Besides I'm sure not going to take a shot that puts me that much farther from take out! Add 1000yards to my pack out no thanks. By the way a 30-06 zerroed at 200 yards will drop 27" at 400 yards for a 180 gr bullet and 24.4" for a 165 gr bullet.(Acording to the ballistics chart I have) At 1000 yards a bullet would really have to be arcked to even reach it's target I dont think Highcountry's theroy of a spine hit in order to take out the far side lung is far off.

Jim I used to run into putz's like the one you discribe all the time when I worked at a fly fishing shop guys would come in all the time braggin' about this or that when you knew **** well he was telling tall tails. Like Catch it said these folks are trying hard to make up for "personal short comings" and are best ignored. I used to every once in a while invite one of these morons to fish after work and they would either not show up at all or be wearring a $1000 worth of equipment holding another $1000 worth of rod and reel. I'd step out of my $500 truck in shorts with a wonder rod and 4 flys stuck in my hat. "No No please your my guest you work this stretch first" I'd say. Well after they got done flailing about and getting 2 or 3 small fish I'd work the same stretch of river and end up with doubble his catch. These trips ended one of two ways either the dude would get so pissed he head back to the truck where i'd demonstrate that with out a rod using the hand mottions of a double haul I could cast farther than he had all day(serriously if you want Ill bring a reel to the sprotsmens show) or the guy would get a sheepish look on his face after being trounced by a kid with a fiber glass rod from the 1960's and appologise. " Hey I'm sorry I acted like a ass, could you show me how you do that?"

Just one Alaskans experiance and opinion
    Rick P

Default Too Far

I don't know if it's BS or not but 1000 yds is too far for any hunter shooting any rig in any conditions. We can argue all day about the cutoff for too far but 1000 yds is way past too far. I believe that cartridges that are designed for shooting these distances (50BMG) should be outlawed for hunting to ensure that technology doesn't allow for the ever increasing effective killing ranges that we are currently experiencing. I appreciate the necessary skill, and you can shoot these things at targets all you want, but not at game animals.

Alpine

akriverrat, is correct the avg. speed of the avg. walking human is 3 m.p.h., not 5 m.p.h..

I have to much respect for the animals I hunt to even consider long shots such as that mentioned in the first post. I am quite sure though that shots such as that have been taken successfully it is not for me. I will say that if someone I was hunting with attempted a 1,000 yard shot or even a long lesser yardage like that they would not be hunting with me again. Long shots on a range VS in the field are night and day different.

Doug

Default Quigly!

All my 50-75 yard shots are done at 1000 yards! It's just a policy of mine!
    Personally I think that even when being honset most peoples abilty to judge distance falls off exponencially [sic] with distance. Including my own!
    I'm pretty confident with my Savage 99 out to 150 yards (my max distance at the range), but I don't hunt in an area where even a 100 yard shot is possible. And yeah I've gun into lots of these guy's on all topics working at the shop. Just invite them out to the range with you, cause your headin there right now to site in a customers gun, and they will probably remember a previous engagement!!

reuben....

jimsmith

Not that I would take a 1000 yard shot at anything except for maybe a terrorist but a Zeiss Diascope 85 spotting scope does a pretty good job at identifying the quality of rams at 1000 yards.

Post spotting scopes

we were easily able to accurately field judge the score/size of a sheep using a leice televid 77mm at well beyond 1,000 yds. sheep is hanging on the wall now.

as for judging distance, that is what a laser range finder is for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast