Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Brooks Range adventure

Default 2011 Brooks Range adventure

Five fourm members six rams what a trip,there will be some full reports but can't wait to share this pic!!!

OUTSATNDING!! Congrats, all those are fine looking rams!

Wow ,can't wait for the whole story.

Holy crap Kotton! You and your friends have had some serious adventures the past couple of seasons, well done to all and can't wait for the story and more pics!

Unreal! I can't wait to hear the story... Getting me really pumped for my trip next week.

It sounds like you folks were true blessed on the hunt. Can't wait for the stories

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I can hear the whail of ewes all the way down here in SE. Ramtastic!

**** kotton! Well fellas better change your brooks plans Kotton and company have done wiped them out. Congrats that had to be fun

Wow, that will be quite a write up to read. Can't wait.

Dang what a slaughter! Nice job guys. We spent more time in the clouds, rain and tent than we did hunting in the AK Range.

That's incredible. That picture belongs in a magazine!

Kotton, you need to post your hunt ASAP. That is Amazing.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Simply stunning!!! Congrats to you guys!!!

Well this hunt started it's plans back in November.A fellow fourm member and I were in the first stages of are first fly out sheep hunt!Let me tell you,it sure was a long wait until fly out day.I think it was my most anticipated hunt yet.
    Finally after all the wait we had base camp set and are bags loaded up with spike ready to hit the hills on the 9th.

We picked a drainage to start walking up and after a few miles we found a dropped sleeping bag.Are hopes were low knowing some one must be ahead of us.After a few hours of walking we finally ran into there spike tent.We had a talk with him and he ended up being a guied with two clients and had the same plan we did so we sat down looked at the map and made new plans.We ended up dropping down and crossing the creek and climed up the other side to get some space between us.We lost some time but finally got the tents set and crawled in right as the rain started.We awoke opening morning hopeing for the best.

After some oatmeal and a cup of coffee we decided to head up high in the fog and try to sit and wait it out.After five cold long hours and not a slight break in weather we decided siting in our bags would be alot more comfy than on the side of a hill.We headed down and ate some lunch when finally it broke,we were off again.I'm going to fast foward about ten hours it is a great part of the story but not mine to tell.

While mossy was butchering I climed up the steep shale to 6000' to look over another drainage,after a hour of so of sweat my heart sunk when I finally reached the top to look over into a valley full of thick fog!My heart sank after the energy waisted so headed back down to see how mossy was doing.

After spillting the load it was late, headed back to the tents trying to beat the encroaching fog.This was my first and only time on the hunt were my mental strength was put to the test.We were both physicaly beat and it starts to wear at your mind a little.I don't know about you guys but had this feeling "why do I enjoy this stuff?"It only took one look at the horns and I remembered instantly this is what I live for!

We reached the tents as the fog set in, dropped the meat and was 12:30.Was a long day,when I hit the sack I knew my body was going to feel it in the morning.

Awoke at 5:00 to mossy geting himself ready to carry the rest of his load he stashed half way back to spike camp,I got some needed sleep.I finally woke up and helped him flesh some of his cape out and hung around most of the day recooping.After the chores were done we decided to climb above the tents and glass the surounding areas.We spent the next few hours staring at 15 rams off in diffrent directions.We were just about to head back when I seen five rams comeing down to the bowl above camp.Put the spotter and right away seen a couple were legal.

We droped down the ridge out of sight of them and ran to the tents,grabed the gun,binos and range finder and headed up after them while mossy was geting the butchering gear ready.We crested the hill and were level with three of the rams and two were feeding higher than the rest.We range them at 900yrds and planed my stalk for a few minutes.I had to get two ridges over in open sight of them.

I had to belly crawl to the first ridge were I thought I might be in range.Right away the uper two made me but the bottom three were out of sight of them and didn't give care to me,they just gave me a look for a second when I made to much noies.After I finally made it to the ridge I had to lay there and catch my breath wondering if I am going to make this happen.I got 412yrds frome the finder and had to close the distance to the next ridge.

As soon as I started crawling over to the next ridge the top two really made me out as a threat and booked it over the top.Right then I thought I have blown it as the other three were staring me down more often.Half way down the ridge I finally got out of sight of em and took my time to crest back over.I made it as they all were spread out striaght across a gully from me.Man it was hard judging three of them.

The one on the right was smaller than the rest and the one on the right had heavy bases but couldn't make him full curl on the look he was giveing me.I then ranged the middle one as he was over full curl.338yrds away,I took out three rounds layed two to the left of my rest loaded up my ruger#1 .300RUM with a 180gr tsx and took a solid rest.I let the first shot out and to my horror just shot over his back.I quickly jacked another shell in as the rams swithced positions and I had to locate him when they stopped.My second shot was true,knocked him down to the ground.I gave him a second as I was loading another shell.He was still up so I gave him another round and down he came tumbleing to me.

As I was walking up Mr. big bases was just standing there and I got close to him and wish I had taken him he was a great looking ram.It took both of those guys awile to get out of there I guess they knew they were safe when There buddie went down I have never seen a ram not run.When I got up to him I was flushed with emotions and let out a war cry!What a stunning ram,I love those brooks range flairs.It just didn't seem real,two rams down bye the end of the 11th!!!

Great looking trophy.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Well after capeing him and cutting him up we headed back to the tents and made it to bed bye 11:30.Awoke to some more fleshing and boneing of meat that took most of the day.Packed up the meat to carry it down to the bottom of camp on a creek we planned to walk out in so we didn't have to climb twice the next day.

The most improveing gear purchase I made this year was my Barneys hunter pack,worth it's wieght in gold if you don't have one go bye one.

After dropping the meat we were sitting there and out of no were a moose comes running up the creek.

on the way back up to camp we pumped some more water and it was a lesson learned not to bring a pump next time,600+ pumps for 64 ounces for no reason at all we ended up drinking the water as some sesoned sheep guys told us not to waist our time.

As we were walking up on the tents I noticed a couple of bou down in the bowl below camp and was going to mess with mossy about being nice bulls,sat right down to the spotter and to my suprise there was a big bull out of the two.I got reall excited and told him to look and in a instant we were running trying to close the distance.

We got to the bottom of the bowl and had to sneak up at them.We belly crawled ridge to ridge while they were feeding slowlydown the hill.We finally ran out of cover at 328yrds.The bulls chose to bed against a steep rise in the mountian and lay there for a good while.We were geting atacked bye bugs and we finally got them to stand bye messing around.Couple shots later and the bull went down.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast