Thread: Valdez charts: Where is the scale for miles on booklet charts??

Question Valdez charts: Where is the scale for miles on booklet charts??

I am trying to figure out how far out we can run but can't figure out how to determine distance on these booklet charts. I'm specifically looking at chart 16708.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    I am trying to figure out how far out we can run but can't figure out how to determine distance on these booklet charts. I'm specifically looking at chart 16708.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!
    Not familiar with the booklet charts, but if they show latitude it's easy. One minute of latitude = 1 nautical mile.

Well, that's what I was thinking but everything is on a different scale on these. I did manage to find, right at the top of the NOAA page, that the rescaling was done in a way to keep accuracy in measuring distances. I was trying to make it too complicated.

Thanks!

Well, I was going to give you a bunch of grief, but I'm glad I looked at 16708 before I firmly planted my foot in my mouth. On 16707 there is a nice scale on the bottom of each even page, but the only one I saw on 16708 was in the inset for Tatitlek.

Bonanza's suggestion is the way to go. You could make a small ruler out of card stock.

Quote Originally Posted by bonanza View Post
    One minute of latitude = 1 nautical mile.

Google Earth has a real nice measuring tool. Once you figure out how to use it, it's really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    Well, I was going to give you a bunch of grief, but I'm glad I looked at 16708 before I firmly planted my foot in my mouth. On 16707 there is a nice scale on the bottom of each even page, but the only one I saw on 16708 was in the inset for Tatitlek.

Bonanza's suggestion is the way to go. You could make a small ruler out of card stock.
    LOL

Yeah, I saw that, too. And trust me, I spent some time searching on 16708 for a similar scale. But yeah, as long as the minutes are scaled too it's no big deal. I can work with that.

Can someone tell me how far it is from Valdez to the entrance of Galena Bay? I've got it at around 37 miles, which seems farther than it should.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Can someone tell me how far it is from Valdez to the entrance of Galena Bay? I've got it at around 37 miles, which seems farther than it should.
    That seems a little high. I haven't been there in years, but it seems like it was more like 22-25 miles. If you don't get a good answer here, PM Stid, he'll know.
    Last edited by Frostbitten; 08-17-2011 at 13:55. Reason: more info

I might have to buy the full-size chart, because the distances just aren't looking right to me and with a jet and a 50 gallon tank it makes a big difference in my range....

Here's a link to full-size if you want to play with a scale and latitude:

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/16708.shtml

Here's a great tool to play with as well, and the scale in the lower left adjusts as you zoom in or out, and you can toggle between topo, sat, hybrid, etc:

http://mapper.acme.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bonanza View Post
    Not familiar with the booklet charts, but if they show latitude it's easy. One minute of latitude = 1 nautical mile.
    Just make sure you're using the LATITUDE markings on the left or right sides of the chart! Mistakingly using the Longitude markings along the top or bottom will nearly double your measured distance if you're in the PWS region.

Valdez harbor to the Narrows is about 9.5 NM. From there to Galena Entrance is about 8 NM. So you'll cover about 18 NM to get there from here.

I just checked to see how you came up with 37 miles and it appears you used a minute of longtitude for figuring that. Remember the longitude lines run north-south, but they are measuring how far east-west you are. When you're doing stuff in Alaska, just remmeber that the LONG's are the longer numbers (e.g. 146, 150, 151, etc) and the LAT's are the shorter numbers (e.g. 60, 61, etc).
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

JOAT, you're absolutely right. I only have sections of the chart and used the first side I found. Of course, it was one of the longitude sides.

Thanks for figuring that out for me!