Thread: I watched a boat drop their pots directly on top of mine and...

Angry I watched a boat drop their pots directly on top of mine and...

of course they got tangled with my gear. I had just pulled and reset my pots and was removing heads. I look up when a boat passes very close to mine to find he is setting his second string. I look over to see his first buoy is within 5 feet of mine. 5 feet or less. When his second buoy is finished drifting, it is within 20 feet of my same buoy. WTH is this guy doing?! I take a deep breath, and head over. I wish I wasn't so mad that I had thought to snap a photo of the 3 buoys.

Me: Your buoy's are a bit close to mine eh? Him: Our sounder is not working so we dropped them on an old GPS point. Me: What are you going to do? Him: We should pull our buoys. Me: You go ahead and pull yours and I'll get involved if need be.

Halfway through his pull he breaks something on his puller. So now I begin pulling mine. All is going well until all of a sudden my puller stops. I quickly kill the power to it, but due to the high winds, ripping tides, and the fact that something is hung up on the bottom, my davit bends. I have never gotten a pot hung up (knock on wood.) I noticed when I saw him deploy his second line he was going in circles - I don't think that's a good method. Meanwhile he has attached an anchor ring and buoy to his line and powers up, successfully breaking loose from the bottom. He pulls in by hand until he pulls on board his pot with my line wrapped in it. He untangles the gear, I pull up all my pots and anchor without problem, and he also pulls in his gear.

He asks me if I retrieved all my pots (I did), I ask him the same (he did.) I tell him my davit is bent, he says "yeah, that wasn't any fun." I don't reply, he goes away. I record the info from his remaining buoy. I held my tongue b/c I didn't want this guy "shooting my buoys." So my question to the forum is - Do I contact this guy and ask him to replace my davit? Second Q - should I straighten out my davit? I don't think so b/c I believe it will weaken it further if I straighten it. P8160024.jpg

fix your davit.
    have a beer.
    eat your shrimp.
    have another beer.
    let it go.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    fix your davit.
    have a beer.
    eat your shrimp.
    have another beer.
    let it go.
    Yup. Right or wrong call it collateral damage.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Both good guys and both are giving good advice. Only thing I'd add is another beer to the end of Homerdave's suggestion and just chalk it up to a bad day. Its just not worth the fight, particularly when you're likely to get nothing out of it. Sorry to hear you had a bad day.

Guys, I had a GREAT day. Sorry if I sound "whiny." I doubt many folks would have had the wherewithal to refrain from telling this guy what I thought about his mental capacity. I got over it before I had the heads off the extra gallon of shrimp I pulled thanks to him. He dropped not 1, but 2 strings of pots on top of mine b/c his depth finder was not working. Homerdave, I believe they are very blissful. I am a half full kinda guy - no one was hurt, I'm happy. So, what's the consensus on the best fix?

Difficult to straighten bent pipe and yes, it will bend in the same spot next time. Better to just bend up a new one or else cut, sleeve, and weld this one back to specs while beefing it up at the same time.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

nothing wrong with a bent davit... Mine are all bent.

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

You could try to find a piece of pipe that will fit inside of your davit to keep it from bending.

Man, that's a bummer! On the up side, the guy didn't tangle your line in his prop and loose your pots. Unfortunately there are a small number of people that should not be on the water. It sounds like it wasn't his depth finder that wasn't working, more likely something between his ears was on the blink.

Can't tell from the pic if that's a 2 piece or 3 piece safe-t puller davit. While bending the davit back will weaken it somewhat, that isn't that signifigant of a bend. What you might want do if possible is straighten the davit then move the upper mount above wher the bend occured so that the bend is between the supports. Or, you could straighten the davit and cut a few inches off the base so that the bend is located in or below the upper support.

It could be that the guy had no clue what he was doing and figured to get shrimp he had to set right next to somebody that new what they were doing.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post

Let it go but what is wrong with people today. I was in Valdez and the winds kicked up. everyone was beaching their boat if they could and waiting for the trailer to arrive to make it easiler to load. A young kid with his wife and new family looked at us and stopped right in the middle of the dock. not enough room in front or back to put a boat. So when my ride showed up I proceeded around him and he was pissed when I pushed off his boat to keep my from hitting his........... NO sense in these kids today. (sound like my dad...holy crap) but you all know what I am saying. OK now you can call it collateral damage and move on.......

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    Let it go but what is wrong with people today. I was in Valdez and the winds kicked up. everyone was beaching their boat if they could and waiting for the trailer to arrive to make it easiler to load. A young kid with his wife and new family looked at us and stopped right in the middle of the dock. not enough room in front or back to put a boat. So when my ride showed up I proceeded around him and he was pissed when I pushed off his boat to keep my from hitting his........... NO sense in these kids today. (sound like my dad...holy crap) but you all know what I am saying. OK now you can call it collateral damage and move on.......
    We could prevent a lot of problems if people had to pass a test before slipping between the sheets.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Ain't that the truth....
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

If the winds were howling and the guy's boat was drifting fast and he had a hard time getting his pots to go where he wanted them to, then I could see how he could have ended up close to someone elses pots. But then he would have been obligated to re-set them. But to put them close to someone elses pot using the excuse that he did isn't right. If he was worried about putting them too deep, then he should have put them somewhere between his old gps spot and the shoreline. Hopefully he learned something. But then again, I kind of doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenai In July View Post
    I noticed when I saw him deploy his second line he was going in circles - I don't think that's a good method. P8160024.jpg
    Just curious, why don't you think doing circles is a good method? I've done it to make sure my line doesn't get in a tangled ball as I'm putting it out. Obviously, doing circles around another guy's gear would cause a problem or two. But, what's the downside if I'm all by myself? Always looking to learn.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Boater View Post
    Just curious, why don't you think doing circles is a good method? I've done it to make sure my line doesn't get in a tangled ball as I'm putting it out. Obviously, doing circles around another guy's gear would cause a problem or two. But, what's the downside if I'm all by myself? Always looking to learn.
    I do circles all the time while setting in wind, just to make sure my pots hit the mark and don't drift into too deep of water. I wouldn't advise doing circles around another set however. Hopefully the other guy learned something that day. As far as the davit, I would straighten it, put a sleeve on it and go fishin!!

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    fix your davit.
    have a beer.
    eat your shrimp.
    have another beer.
    let it go.
    Well said and worth repeating.

rep points sent
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    If the winds were howling and the guy's boat was drifting fast and he had a hard time getting his pots to go where he wanted them to, then I could see how he could have ended up close to someone elses pots. But then he would have been obligated to re-set them.
    If the winds were howling and he was having a hard time getting his pots to go where he wanted to, he is obligated to stop what he is doing, wait for a better day, and not get in anyone else's way! A little common sense a courtesy go a long way to avoiding problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Boater View Post
    Just curious, why don't you think doing circles is a good method?.
    I used to do circles and would have tangled gear about 10% of the time so now I run out my set in a straight line.

Thanks for all your input gents (and ladies?)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenai In July View Post
    of course they got tangled with my gear. I had just pulled and reset my pots and was removing heads. I look up when a boat passes very close to mine to find he is setting his second string. I look over to see his first buoy is within 5 feet of mine. 5 feet or less. When his second buoy is finished drifting, it is within 20 feet of my same buoy. WTH is this guy doing?! I take a deep breath, and head over. I wish I wasn't so mad that I had thought to snap a photo of the 3 buoys.
    Yeah a similar thing happened to me in June. Although we didn't get anything damaged and we let it go with no fuss because I recognized a well-known guy from these forums, just didn't expect him to do something like that, but I guess it happens to the best of us. It would be nice for people to at least apologize though and not make it sound like everything is cool just because they do it for a living.