Thread: Can anyone help me out? Needing caribou cape

Default Can anyone help me out? Needing caribou cape

I'm really toying with doing a shoulder mount of the caribou my wife got. We didn't keep the cape and was wondering if anyone got a decent sized bull and if you didn't need the cape, I'd jump all over it!

No biggie either way...just might save me a few bucks...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I'm really toying with doing a shoulder mount of the caribou my wife got. We didn't keep the cape and was wondering if anyone got a decent sized bull and if you didn't need the cape, I'd jump all over it!

No biggie either way...just might save me a few bucks...
    If we manage to bag a similar size bull in the next several days I'll cape it out and lug the thing 12+ miles back to the road as thats the minimum distance of pack it'll be, but being as we don't have vaulted cielings in our house it won't do us much good. Though you might not want to pay the shipping and handling on getting it out of the field. Seriously though I'll see what I can do for ya.

Thanks!!!!!!

My hunting partner and I are going to try and fill our tags this weekend. I'll help out if we get lucky!! Let you know next week!!

Let us know when you find something. Hopefully myself or my father will be taking my nephew up north for caribou in the next few weeks, so if he happens to tag a large bull we'd be happy to pass it along. All it'll cost you is a tenderloin. We got my wife's first caribou mounted, and every day I'm glad that we did. (We also did the canvas picture next to it that I'm pretty sure you recommended. We're loving that as well!)

I was just thinking about your wifes bou and wondered if you took my canvas advice! Very nice! Let's see a pic of the mount/pic on the wall...

I was just thinking about your wifes bou and wondered if you took my canvas advice! Very nice! Let's see a pic of the mount/pic on the wall...
    I'll snap a few pictures tonight. Groupon had a deal on those canvas pictures last spring, so we grabbed two of them. When we redeemed it a month or so ago the company offered another deal for about the same price, so we've got two more waiting that we need to use sometime. Hopefully a sheep for my wife in September?

Heading out Sept. If you still need a cape, drop me a note and I will bring one back if we take a Caribou someone is not going to mount

You can have mine if I get one out of unit 13. I'm not gonna be doing a shoulder mount on a Bou anytime soon. That might be easier than Luke hauling it out. Just key us in on where to go when we shift gears from Sheep to Bou.

Hopefully they won't have closed down the Tier 1 hunt by then.

Here's a couple pictures of what it all turned out like. We had to strip the velvet (much of it came off in our hands on the pack out of the mountains), but it turned out nicely regardless.

We got the wrap-around option on the canvas picture and we really like how it turned out.

A couple more angles:

My wife never used to talk much about my mounts, but now that her's is front and center, it's always a topic of conversation when friends come over. That's OK by me, though. It's among my favorite memories and if it makes her want to go hunting more often, I'm certainly willing to oblige.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'll snap a few pictures tonight. Groupon had a deal on those canvas pictures last spring, so we grabbed two of them. When we redeemed it a month or so ago the company offered another deal for about the same price, so we've got two more waiting that we need to use sometime. Hopefully a sheep for my wife in September?
    Nice mount! And pic, too.

I too did that groupon deal x 2. Got one mailed directly to my elderly Mom and one to us here. That is some nice stuff for EXTREMELY low cost. If you see that same canvasondemand deal through groupon again please post it up or PM me directly; I'd do it again in a second.

Brian, that looks great!

As far as the cape goes, I'll take whatever you can get. Worst case scenario is that you get a few bucks for it if I already have one...

I have 4 extra bou capes just back from the tannery, 1 is colored like the one in the picture of Brians wife's bou., all are wet tanned and ready to mount. 3 were chicken ridge medium bulls and the one I mentioned is big.. 22-24" at the ears.
    Hoytguy

I'm looking forward to how its going to turn out. Thanks again CtP for the cape!!

Duh... I totally misread who was looking for what.. Lmao, I'm doing her caribou.. Wow, it's been a long night., I need to step away from the bondo.

Hoytguy

You bet Kyle. Post some pics when it's hung up.

Quote Originally Posted by CtP View Post
    You bet Kyle. Post some pics when it's hung up.
    Did he hold up his end of the deal yet CtP?? I recall a canvas printed pic of you and your beauty 'bou two days prior to busting your beauty of a sheep.

Heck yeah!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Duh... I totally misread who was looking for what.. Lmao, I'm doing her caribou.. Wow, it's been a long night., I need to step away from the bondo.

Hoytguy
    I guess that means business is good! Happy to keep you up lately!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Did he hold up his end of the deal yet CtP?? I recall a canvas printed pic of you and your beauty 'bou two days prior to busting your beauty of a sheep.
    That was a fun night.

Oh Yeah, I have an awesome canvas pic to accompany DIY anter mount (almost done). I post a pic of the pair when finished.
    I keep staring at the void on my 16' ceiling, waiting for Mr. Ram to claim his piece of real estate. I imagine it will be a bit of time considering what we dropped off... Have you heard from "him" yet?