Thread: Stupid rookie move...

Default Stupid rookie move...

I've been running the rivers around the mat-su valley for about 6 years now in my trusty old 15ft. wooldridge Alaskan with a Yamaha outboard. Before taking it out on the rivers for the first time I pulled it into my garage dis-assembled the bottom end, checked on how to replace my water pump and reassemble everything just in case I needed to on the river...and I did several times.

So this spring I bought a new Wooldridge sportjet..big difference being an inboard. I kept telling myslef that I needed to disasemble everything on the jet unit once so I could see how to in the event I ran into issues on the river...but never did...today I ran into issues.

I looked under and in for the rock but when I couldn't find it I was very uneasy about ripping apart the jet in the water. For all I know there could be a spring in somewhere that drops out when you pull it off and I didn't want to be dropping parts in the river. I idled down river and helped the river push my boat over shallow spots a few times, where I ran into Todd in a Extremem Ultra Shallow by the mouth.

I felt like an idiot but Todd (I forgot his handle) gave me a tow from the mouth to deshka landing and didn't rip me off but just asked for enough to cover his fuel expenses. Thanks very much for your help Todd and I'll shoot you my cell number...if you ever need a tow or somthing all you have to do is give me a call !!

The net net of this experience is...know your boat. I knew better but got cocky...I just wanted to drive it and didn't want to take the time like I did with my old boat to learn how to work on it. If any of you reading this does not know and have the tools to disassemble what they need to so they can fix there stuff...I'd do it before you hit the water again!
    2016 Hewescraft Alaskan 260...

Did you find a rock? Did a spring fall out? One of the guys at the Spring Gathering had a new to him boat and had an extra impeller(?) he wanted to swap out. Looked easy enough on dry land with several experienced folks giving advise. I was amazed how much junk was floating in the river and how many people had problems with their systems because of it.

No springs but there is some oil when disassembling the second piece on the jet unit. The rock was wedged in between the blades on the impeller. I'm actually going to look into small thick air bags that I can use to lift the back of my boat when I need to remove the stomp grate or get a lot better view.

Basketballs>>>>>>>>>>>>>dual purpose

there was a rock wedged in the impeller???? I don't think you would have been able to idle if there was something wedged in there...perhaps it was caught up in your stator? I've seen that happen before and can be a bugger if you can't pull it through....but you already know that
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Carry a handyman jack ... never leaves my boat. You never know when you may need to lift your boat while on the river for repairs to the hull or the jet.

I have never had a rock stuck in impeller but is it possible to just stick a crow bar in or something to dislodge the rock? I know that may damage impeller but if it is that vs not getting home....

M.

It was wedged in between the blades on the impeller for 100% sure...when I get to my laptop I can upload a picture of the rock . I've had the same thing happen in my outboard once but that us much easier to get to. Used a large flathead screw driver to dislodge it. The rock is shaved flat on the side that was rubbing the sleeve, I used a screw driver and hammer to knock it backwards towards the stomp grate and then pulled it out. Should have know with the vibration it caused whenever RPMs increased.

Highlife,

What do you use as your lift point with the handyman? Swim step? Probably bring a 2x6 or somthing to spread out weight distribution so you don't bend the boat?

Thanks!

Here is the rock in question...or the questionable rock ? It was wedged in between the impeller blades with the flat half of the rock against the sleeve.

photo.jpg

Yes, I use my swim step. I had it beefed up to carry the weight of the boat with out cracking any welds. On other boats Ive had that didnt have a swim step I had a inverted piece of angle iron welded onto the transom to use as my pic point.