Thread: Difference between small bulls and big cow 'Bou?

Default Difference between small bulls and big cow 'Bou?

How do you guys tell the difference? I'm sure I'll get the general idea after a while, but any time I've seen "bou before I was always to young or never cared (I used to HATE hunting a few years ago) I got one of them special drawing tags this year, and while I want a dandy bull, I'll prolly end up shooting one on the small side cause me and dad both have 'bou tags and we are taking his kia sportage up (Keep an eye out for it its red and has been rearended so its got a plastic rear window with some beautiful light blue duck tape! Lol oh and its got a rear wheel with a bent rim and leaks almost 4 gallons of oil and tranny fluid a week) dad has been caribou hunitng before, but Usualy when we hunt thesea days we ususaly hunt separate. Any body got pictures of a bull and cow next to eachother? Mostly I'm wondering how to tell between little bulls like what BRWNBR's kid shot and a nice mature cow. (we are only allowed bulls on our tags)

Thanks in advance
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Look under the legs. If you see something that looks like a snake hanging down, it's a bull. Over the years I've been able to tell the difference between small bulls and cows by looking at the body structure (not talking private parts), even if the bulls are smaller than the cows, but I really don't know what the difference that I'm seeing is.

other than a rear end view, or spotting the penis sheath, they are alike. my method is to look for a shovel( this is not 100% or approved by fish & game) I've noticed that of all the caribou i've watched-north slope,40 mile,white mnt, macomb. there has only been 1 cow that had a shovel-now others on here may have seen lots. but if i see a group that looks all about the same body size & horn size *then i try to find one with a shovel. then try to locate a sheath on him.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hu..._gender_id.pdf

alot of people haven't seen this one yet. enjoy, hope it helps. after a while just seeing them you'll know

Last fall my girlfriend shot what we both had determined to be a nice meat bull, big body, white long mane, single shovel and all. After she made an excellent shot and we made our way to it we were both surprised to find it was a huge old cow. She was dry as a bone, fat, and had what I guess( I haven't seen too many caribou), was a big set of antlers for a cow. The rack was about 3' tall by 2.5' wide. I guessed body size at roughly that of a spike or cow elk, and I've seen alot of them, both on the hoof and the ground.
    I guess the only advice I can offer after that story is too look for the proper tackle, or really big antlers. Luckily for us her tag last winter was either sex, so it all worked out, but definitely be sure before you lower the boom on one with a bull only tag.

Hadn't seen that one- thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    How do you guys tell the difference? I'm sure I'll get the general idea after a while, but any time I've seen "bou before I was always to young or never cared (I used to HATE hunting a few years ago) I got one of them special drawing tags this year, and while I want a dandy bull, I'll prolly end up shooting one on the small side cause me and dad both have 'bou tags and we are taking his kia sportage up (Keep an eye out for it its red and has been rearended so its got a plastic rear window with some beautiful light blue duck tape! Lol oh and its got a rear wheel with a bent rim and leaks almost 4 gallons of oil and tranny fluid a week) dad has been caribou hunitng before, but Usualy when we hunt thesea days we ususaly hunt separate. Any body got pictures of a bull and cow next to eachother? Mostly I'm wondering how to tell between little bulls like what BRWNBR's kid shot and a nice mature cow. (we are only allowed bulls on our tags)

Thanks in advance
    I usually look for the penis hanging beneath the bulls. Pretty much a dead give away!

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Last fall my girlfriend shot what we both had determined to be a nice meat bull, big body, white long mane, single shovel and all. After she made an excellent shot and we made our way to it we were both surprised to find it was a huge old cow. She was dry as a bone, fat, and had what I guess( I haven't seen too many caribou), was a big set of antlers for a cow. The rack was about 3' tall by 2.5' wide. I guessed body size at roughly that of a spike or cow elk, and I've seen alot of them, both on the hoof and the ground.
    I guess the only advice I can offer after that story is too look for the proper tackle, or really big antlers. Luckily for us her tag last winter was either sex, so it all worked out, but definitely be sure before you lower the boom on one with a bull only tag.
    was the old cow alone? usually they are not alone.

i have seen them sleeping in a circle, a bunch of cows with young (they call it a nursery) and it is so funny to watch the antlers of the cows dip and rise again as they sleep restlessly.all these caribou in a cirlce, heads nodding and rising again.

the bulls often go out patroling from the nursery and back again. kinda like scouts. and that is why i ask, was she alone. often what we know of an animals behavior patterns and social struture can provide a clues. but no matter what, sometimes even the tackle can be wrong. it's rare, but it happens.

glad you had an either tag.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    I usually look for the penis hanging beneath the bulls. Pretty much a dead give away!
    yes, that is whats called a pecker checker

She was with a group of about forty head but not really "with" them. She was standing feeding about ten yds from the biggest part of the herd. The part that nearly made me cry was the pair of bruiser bulls about thirty yds to the left she passed on. These were both what I would call big, four foot by four foot antlers, lots of points, etc. Her reason for passing them, for sake of the table.

Anyway I can't wait to get to go caribou hunting again as I'd like to have a chance at a nice bull. Maybe next year I guess.

i like that feeling when you see a big body, and when i take a big body down for the meat.

i bet you really didn't look too hard for the sex because it didn't matter.

but when a hunt is sexist, it makes a person really make sure before shooting.
    edit signature here