Thread: Electronics help please.

Default Electronics help please.

I am installing a VHF and a GPS. Does it matter how close the 2 antennas are located to each other in regards to interference?

Default yes it does

i was told to put mine as far apart as possible. i put the radio antenna on port side and gps on starbard. my radio is under my dash on starbard side along with gps on dash. i think i was told this because the antenna being to close to radio can cause interferance also. then with the excess radio antenna cable wrap it in a figure 8 shape, so you get better reception and less interferance also. the gps wire you can just roll up like normal. when i was building my boat this how it was recomemded to me by all the people i talked to. works great.

thanks for the input. Will put them on opposite sides.

I researched a similar installation and was given/found the same advice with the exception of the figure 8 for excess coax. I don't know if the Fig.8 helps or not. All Shakespeare says for their antenna installations is to insure a minumum of 3' between unit and antenna or other antenna's and do not cut the cables to shorten them. Come on open water!

Default figure 8

sounded funny to me too. but seen it in some boats and decided i was told to it that way and figured it must we right. can't hurt was my thinking. but was told it stops interference that way. if just coiled up like hose they said it has a tendency to create static or something, only with the coax. just ask around and see what other people say, if you go into west marine or dewies most will give you some help. at dewies though go to the back window, far left as you walk in toward the back of the store. a shop guy will come there. good luck with your new stuff.