Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GCI and your fishing

Default GCI and your fishing

Does anyone have GCI cell service in the state? They are coming to Igiugig and I was thinking on switching over for next year. How is there coverage on the road system?

George

I can't say about coverage in your area, but I'll pass along a "heads up" from our experience. The salesman that approached us was pretty convincing, even promised that we could try the service for a month, and if it didn't work out, we wouldn't be charged for the month when we returned the phones and withdrew service. The coverage and services didn't work out, so after a couple of weeks we returned the phones along with a letter to stop service.

Then the fireworks started. We got a bill for the month of service plus penalties for withdrawing. Phone calls and shouting finally got us clear of them with our wallets intact, but it wasn't pretty. Bottom line, whatever the salesman promises, get it in writing. I'm not saying anything about the company was dishonest, but that particular salesman should be reluctant to darken our doorway ever again.

I switched to AT&T 2 years ago, but I never had a complaints about the coverage (at least in AK). I strongly agree with Brown Bear that their customer service is about the worst I have ever seen. (in any company, not phone service)

George, you might try using one of those "pay as you go" phone plans for the first month, rather than signing up for a year. then if it's crap, you're done. I was thinking about getting one just for use in the summer as their chart shows the best coverage in the state, but I'm skeptical.

Cheers!

That is a good thought Mad Dog.

G

I've used GCI for years. Great coverage. Use them all over the state in places where the other company is dead air. Great data coverage for the BlackBerry. Great service all around. Not a single complaint from me. Switched to them from ACS after the great Cellular One sellout. Never looked back.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Expressing my feelings about GCI would violate forum rules.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I'm with Milo on this one

GCI has the best coverage off the road system by far... ACS doesn't even work in King Salmon
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I find it strange that there are a couple folks who have such criticism of GCI? I'm curious why. If you never used GCI, then you can't judge them.... so, when you had your GCI phone and dialed a phone number, did the call not go through?

Maybe I don't understand the finer points, but GCI has considerably greater coverage of Alaska than the other guy. They are an Alaskan company. Every time I dial, the phone works. Every text goes through. Every email pops up instantly on by BB via the "smart phone" data package. The service price is less than the other guy. When I changed from regular phones to "smart" phones, they gave us 2 free BlackBerry devices worth over $700. The people at the GCI office are considerably nicer and more customer oriented than the other company (whom I have to use for DSL and home phone service due to their service monopoly structure).

I've been with GCI for years and there's absolutely nothing negative I can come up with about their service.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Joat,

I did have GCI. I also said the service in AK was fine. My complaint was I paid for nationwide service and when I went outside for my dads surgery it didn't work. I knew 3 days before the surgery and called tech support on Saturday from a land line. I told them it was a land line, because the cell didn't work. They said they would look into it and call me back. They left a message on my Cell phone on Friday that they didn't have coverage in that state.

Then when I went to AT&T, I told them I didn't want to pay the cancellation fee. The customer support reps on the phone can authorize an adjustment of $25. Really? Why even answer the phone? I asked to speak to a supervisor. You can't. But they say one will call you back. ( they don't )

I finally sent a e-mail explaining the problem. They replied to call them. No, tried that. I e-mailed them back that I would not call and to correspond by e-mail. They finally agreed, but it took 3 months to finally get someone with authority.

That is why I don't like GCI. I still use them for everything else, but I stand by my statement that they have the worst customer service I have ever dealt with.

Stan

Roughly the same experience here. The salesman promised us that if the service didn't work out for us, we could drop out with no penalty and no fees. The functions we needed didn't work as promised, so we sent everything back and canceled the service.

I'm surprised there wasn't a statewide yellow alert, GCI customer service treated us so much like child molesters. They disavowed any claims made by the salesman and said we still owed them for a month's service. Plus all the cancellation fees. They threatened to turn us over to a collection agency if we didn't pay up. One agent refused to let us talk to a supervisor and hung up on us. It took two weeks of determined calling and yelling to get shed of the shoddy outfit. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I ain't going back for any reason. Ever.

I dont use GCI for cell service but I can agree that their customer service is atrocious. I have to eat a bunch of migraine medicine before I even attempt to call and deal with those idiots. I use AT&T for cell service and it seems to work pretty much every where Ive been unless Im out way off the road system.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Must be a problem with the Anchorage GCI office then. I've never had a problem at the Soldotna GCI office on any of the 3 times I've been in there over the last half-dozen years. I've never tried to call them about anything. Not sure why I ever would need to?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Glad you're happy, and sincerely hope nothing changes that for you. When something ain't broke, don't fix it.

A couple of things you should know. Out in the villages that gci provides service to, you must have a gsm phone. I myself have a cdma phone. It has no coverage out in the villages. My phone is for urban areas with 3G services. Previous to this upcoming month, GCI had only edge service which is more like 2G. They are rolling out real 3G and "almost 4G" this month. Gci acquired AK Digitel sometime ago thus the reason for 2 network types. I was down at Skilalk lake lower boat launch last month and my friend had At&T and could make calls there and on the kenai river, I could not with my GcI phone. I could dial out if I drove up the hill from the boat launch. Migh have been able to make calls if I had a gsm phone like a samsung or htc. I had a motorloa milestone CDMA.

As far as sales lying to you ...of course they lie to you,that's why they are in sales. Acs does it and so does AT&T. Being an Alaskan it is up to everyone to look at providers coverage maps and carriers don't all cover all areas for nationwide coverage. You can't expect to have coverage in a Verizon area or sprint area or tmobil, just because you bought nationwide coverage. As far as their customer service goes, it is better than acs. They won't call back even their large corporate commercial customers. Most of the customer service techs are young kids Andy they handle Internet calls all day long as well so they cant please everyone. Just look at the providers coverage maps on their websites, they should also show who their roaming agreements are with. Sorry you couldn't use your phone during a time of need. Oh you might be able to get a phone that has both CDMA and gsm, I would like to have that myself.

Try a BlackBerry. It runs on the EDGE network as well as GSM. Mine works everywhere GCI has color on the map.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

George The only thing that works for me is to have AT&T and GCI phone plans. It costs a bit more but it's effective. Oh yea you'll need a sat phone too! The fishing is gruesome here with 1000's of dead and dying salmon filling the river. Jim

Jim,

Where are you at???

George

Geo I'm on the Copper about 50 miles East of you. No cell phones work here unless we climb the hill behind the house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast