Thread: Sockeye fishin'.... Juneau style

Default Sockeye fishin'.... Juneau style

Question for any of you Juneau locals on the board. Is this for real?

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Yes.

that is one of the better solutions I have seen...beats dragging them down the trail or roping them down the river.

Oh yeah Sweetheart Creek Sockeye, Juneau's version of dipnetting the Kenai, 2 hr boat ride to Snettisham, Commercial guys stock a lake the short river has 3 falls at the mouth the third is impossible for the fish to pass, so the fish can't spawn so they open it up to personal use, however some use traditional dipnets like the kenai but most people use throw nets like used in florida or otherplaces to catch baitfish, takes some getting used to, usually get 1-2 sockeyes a throw if ur good 4-5, lots of humpys to pick through also, if ur fishing upriver the easiest way to get ur fish down to the salt is to float em like the video we usually used a big bouy and send it over the falls and have someone down below to retrieve, usually 3-5 brown bears hanging around,
    and hey doc no chance of flipping here, it is illegal to fish with a rod and reel here (sign posted by the saltwater) nets only no joke took my rod one time and people were upset and told me I was breaking the law if I fished

Kind of makes me miss Juneau. Of course, the occasional sockeye could be found here in Kenai this summer...

The guy who made that video is on this board.....

bwhahahaha, now that's a funny feeling to stumble upon your video linked to on this site.

Seal Humper ( ) is right on. The pinks were THICK this trip. It was more like 10 pinks in every cast and maybe one sockeye. I had been practicing for a couple weeks before the trip and my buddy didn't and he was out pacing me with sockeye because his crappy throws would slice through the pinks and open up enough to catch a sockeye or two! Id pull in full nets of pinks and spend 10 minutes untangling the writhing mess.

We had 7 different brown bears move back and forth around us through the day and had a couple yearlings get WAY too close.

There were enough pinks that the bears were eating great, they were just curious of our stuff.

Here's some more videos from the trip.

It was a productive but tiring trip.

Erich

I would like to make it down there some time, good video.

Quote Originally Posted by FishAddictAK View Post
    I would like to make it down there some time, good video.
    Thanks! It was fun to get the chance to record the trip. I just brought the camera along as an afterthought.

Erich