Thread: what to do with a 2.5hp tohatsu 2 stroke

Default what to do with a 2.5hp tohatsu 2 stroke

So I have a 2.5 hp tohatsu 2 stroke, but no longer have a boat. The tiller handle fell off into the water and now it has a homemade handle which is fine because the original handle was so stubby it needed an extension anyways, these motors have the throttle and choke on the case. I'm thinking about selling the motor but don't know how much I can get for this motor. It runs awesome and has low hours as it was only used on a small boat in a lake a couple times a year, probably 20-30 hours. So my big question is should I order up the handle ($39 with hardware shipped), will it get me better money for the motor, or will i not be able to get that much money for the motor anyhow. Because for a low price the handle is not worth replacing and the motor really isnt worth selling. So the question is how much have you guys sold similar motors for?

Don't know?? Question is how much do you want for her as is? Is she a long shaft?
    thanks,
    Goo

I'll give you $100 for it if it runs and I'll order the handle.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Well if it was a 4 stroke like my 2hp Honda I know it would fetch a good bit more than a 2 cycle. Never see them less than about $600 I would think maybe half that but its kind of up to you as the seller, what you need for it.

Dont sell it! I have the same engine for my tender. With out a doubt the most reliable and low maintenance engine I have ever had. The 4 strokes are heavier and MUCH higher maint. Fix it or sell it to me

Quote Originally Posted by akpowrider View Post
    The 4 strokes are heavier and MUCH higher maint.
    2 strokes are much better for portaging and flying with.
    My buddy's who have little 4 strokes end up having to drain the engine oil when flying them or portaging as they end up leaking oil if not carried just right.

I have a 2 stroke 2.5 hp evinrude. It has the choke and throttle on the case just like you describe. I use it as a kicker on a river boat and a main on a 17' aluminum freighter canoe. That little motor is extremely reliable and fun to use. It's a favorite of bush pilots for the reasons drifter mentioned. If I were you I would fix it up and keep it but if you must sell it I will be happy to give it a good home.

well it sounds like I should be able to get a decent amount for it, thanks for the input.

I posted it in the for sale section for those who were interested, thanks.

There's a for sale section?

Default i will buy your motor

please contact me about your 2.5 outboard. 540-639-6923. my email is loch639@i-plus.net. My name is tony. Iam loking for a tohatsu 2.5 for my canoe. Thank you. Tony Lowman

Sorry I put it in the for sale section here and on craigslist, it sold off craigslist day one for $450 asking price.