Thread: glennallen area, good? bad? got any info?

Default glennallen area, good? bad? got any info?

i'm looking at a piece of property near glennallen to purchase for permanent residence, i'm all ready aware of the water situation but what can you tell me bout the hunting,fishing,trapping,soil for a garden,species of timber to cut for firewood,population, jobs. i'll be booking a flight to come & look the place over myself within a couple weeks but i figured i'd pick your brains 1st, any help with info would be greatly apreciated.

Where about in the Glennallen area?
    Copper center, south, north of there.....near Ahtna land?
    What type of fishing are looking into, salmon, trout, grayling?
    Need more details unless you need a general answer....the area is nice.
    Jobs depend on your skills. The ground is cold so raised beds might extend your season as will a greenhouse (snow and wind load?)
    Most of the timber is black spruce and birch. Birch is better for heating.
    More info needed....
    BK

aprox 2miles west of town on hwy1, gps coordinates are N 62 deg 06' 27" by w 145deg 36' 03". fish species salmon,trout,grayling. pm me please if you'd like to share more info w/me.

Glennallen + lwr 48 = Odd outcome

Be careful and nice to your neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by predatorhuntr01 View Post
    i'm looking at a piece of property near glennallen to purchase for permanent residence, i'm all ready aware of the water situation but what can you tell me bout the hunting,fishing,trapping,soil for a garden,species of timber to cut for firewood,population, jobs. i'll be booking a flight to come & look the place over myself within a couple weeks but i figured i'd pick your brains 1st, any help with info would be greatly apreciated.
    Hunting, well anytime you are on the road system you'll have competition, and you'll be competing against people who are spotting game from airplanes and have hunted the area for decades. It wouldn't be the absolute worst place in the state for hunting, but it would be far from my first choice.

Trapping, again competition.

Soil, lots of black spruce bogs so not the best soil or drainage. You'll be in interior Alaska which means long cold winters and a short growing season. There is a reason Glennallen isn't the agricultural hub of the state, and the Matsu is.

Timber, I don't know what is available via the forest service to cut, but most of what I see out there is small black spruce, not exactly ideal firewood.

Population, not alot.

Jobs, mostly seasonal, i.e. tourist season. There are a fair number of people out there that work on the North Slope oil fields, which always makes for a strange dynamic in a small town. You have people that make 6 figure slaries not working in the town, and a few low paying jobs in the town for the tourist dollars that trickle through the few months of the tourist season.

In short if you are retiring, work on the slope or have your own business where your home base can be anywhere, you might want to consider Glennallen. If however you need to find a place where you can get a job, the MatSu would likely be a much better choice.

Also consider that Glennallen is a pretty good drive from many places you'll end up going. For signifigant shopping trips you'll be headed to the MatSu or Anchorage, for fishing you'll be heading to Valdez, and even for hunting you'll likely be driving or flying out. Supplies will be expensive and limited in GlennAllen, and with long cold winters you're likely going to be doing most of your heating with fuel oil, which is the most expensive way to heat a home.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Re: population, a friend of mine lived and worked in the Glenallen/Kenny Lake area for a few years. His quip: "Churchers, Searchers, Birchers, and Lurchers". That was quite a few years ago, he did mean it as a joke (mostly), and I could say the same about a number of regions and communities in AK!

thanks for the info, i'll keep look'n for my piece of ak to call home, but where ever i choose i already plan on being neighborly & polite to the locals & stick to minding my own business, i'm determined, stuborn, & set on this move, so it's just a matter of finding my piece of realestate, thanks again for the info

The best advice is to move up and rent for a year or two while you explore the state and get a chance to see different areas.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.