Thread: Things you realize sometimes

Default Things you realize sometimes

I did a 20K road march the other day and it made me realize how bad one is not ready for anything even though you think you are, physically I was good to go as far as my legs and and upper body were good even though I was only lugging a 40 lb rucksack we all know how uncomfortable those things are even the new one we have are not the best especially how they carry on the shoulders. Also the boots we have are not the greatest but I was wearing a pair of boots I really like and consider one of the better boot deisgns the Army has out thier as well. But what was bad were my feet they wore tore up it was like someone took a hammer and beat the tops of me feet and the bottom of them don't know how to describe it they were brusied and felt like they were on fire regardless made it in the alloted time. What brings this up are all the sheep stories out thier now and the guys humping it 20 plus miles up and down these hills. So my hats off to you guys and gals for being able to do this with little to no problems at all. Also shows you all have great training programs in place prior to your sheep hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I did a 20K road march the other day and it made me realize how bad one is not ready for anything even though you think you are, physically I was good to go as far as my legs and and upper body were good even though I was only lugging a 40 lb rucksack we all know how uncomfortable those things are even the new one we have are not the best especially how they carry on the shoulders. Also the boots we have are not the greatest but I was wearing a pair of boots I really like and consider one of the better boot deisgns the Army has out thier as well. But what was bad were my feet they wore tore up it was like someone took a hammer and beat the tops of me feet and the bottom of them don't know how to describe it they were brusied and felt like they were on fire regardless made it in the alloted time. What brings this up are all the sheep stories out thier now and the guys humping it 20 plus miles up and down these hills. So my hats off to you guys and gals for being able to do this with little to no problems at all. Also shows you all have great training programs in place prior to your sheep hunts.
    There are always ache's and pains. Anyone who has side hilled with all their gear and sheep in their pack will tell you their feet hurt!I have always felt that sheep hunting is more mental than physical. It is amazing how once you put your mind to doing something, your body will get there. I also feel that the more you do growing up as kids, the easier physical activity is. I haven't "prepared" for a sheep hunt at any point in my life. This summer I spent a couple of weeks up and down ladders and carrying lumber around the yard, yet, still humped out a 130# pack through some serious ****. But, I knew where I had to go and got my mind set on getting there. I don't think I've ever had an "enjoyable" 12 mile walk with a loaded pack, but it has never stopped me from doing it over and over and over!

I concur with that... I think when your hunting it always seems a little better. But if ever go sheep hunting I know I need to do some
    serious walking/running with boots to toughing up my feet.

Of course the pounding the feet take on pavement, or even gravel roads (Malamute back to post or up and down Davis Highway) is always a lot worse than out in the woods.

if you walk around bare foot a while, it'll toughen up your feet
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan J View Post
    Of course the pounding the feet take on pavement, or even gravel roads (Malamute back to post or up and down Davis Highway) is always a lot worse than out in the woods.
    Very true we started on pavement once we hit the dirt road it was all downhill from there. I couldn't wait to hit pavement again. The
    guys with the highspeed boots ie danners etc seemed to did a little better in the foot dept. I guess I need to stop being cheap and buy some. In the end a good pair of boots will make or break you.

if you walk around bare foot a while, it'll toughen up your feet
    While this MAY be true to prevent blisters, and I'm not sold on that, what 323 is talking about has more to do with boot sole/insole and cushioning. It feels like someone has been repeatedly hitting your foot with a hammer.
    Just like running shoes, not every boot works for every foot.
    When your talking military approved boots, unfortunately it seems you sacrifice durability for comfort. And most times comfort for durability.
    Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan J View Post
    While this MAY be true to prevent blisters, and I'm not sold on that, what 323 is talking about has more to do with boot sole/insole and cushioning. It feels like someone has been repeatedly hitting your foot with a hammer.
    Just like running shoes, not every boot works for every foot.
    When your talking military approved boots, unfortunately it seems you sacrifice durability for comfort. And most times comfort for durability.
    Just my thoughts.
    Exactly i have yet to be on a sheep hunt but when and if I will be sure to find the right boots. I only had one blister on my pinky toe. That didnt really bother me.