Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Legal rams 40 miles in 5 days. Hard work but well worth it.

Default 2 Legal rams 40 miles in 5 days. Hard work but well worth it.

P8110287.jpgP8110296.jpg

Just wanted to share my buddy Josh and my sheep hunt. I dont have much time just got back and heading back out guideing. We started hiking on the morning of the 9th. Saw 4 rams on the morning 10th way to far off to tell how big but new they were rams. By 8pm that night we got up on the ridge and saw the 4 rams way down in the creek bottom feeding. 3 of the 4 rams were legal and no way to stalk them where they were. So We headed back to are tent for the night. We woke early on the 11th and hiked back to where we saw them last. We didnt end up finding the rams till 6pm. They were in a tuff location but we were able to get to 330yds. My buddy Josh had first choice and chose the old double broomed ram. It took him 4 shots and one in the horn. The first shot would have killed it but we couldnt tell where he was hit. Once we new his ram was done i set up on my ram. He had only moved 30 yards and was standing there trying to figure out what was going on. I couldnt get a shot laying down, there was to many rocks in the way so i got a steady rest from my knees and let him have it. I put him down with one perfect shot. I was due, my last 2 sheep it took me 8 shots total. It took us 2 1/2 days to hike out. My ram was 38 1/2 x 13 7/8 an 1 1/2 past full curl on the left and 35 7/8 x 13 7/8 broomed on the left and was 9 years old. Its my biggest ram so far. Josh's ram was his first. It was double broomed 31 5/8 x 13 5/8 and was 11 years old. The tip of the one horn was just over 6 inchs around. All you sheep hunters know how tuff it can be mentally and physically but it is always worth it in the end. Good luck to everyone on the rest of the season. Hopefully ill have more successfull hunts to post.

that 1st photo, with the 2 of you and the 2 rams together. that is quite a photo.

congrats to both

Whoa! I'm all smiles after seeing that. Top notch performance there gentlemen. Congratulations.

Great job and sweet picture of you and your buddy, one day the sheep bug will bite me... Well whenever I get drawn for the carpenter sheep tag.

2 guys + 2 sheep=heavy packs.....any idea what they weighed? or did you shuttle the meat out? congrats on a killer pic with the two of you there...always funner to share stuff like that with a buddy!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

That is frickin' awesome. Nice job to both of you and Congrats!!
    Reading these threads are definetly going to keep the wheels turning when we get up there.

Very nice! One of these days I hope to get a sheep. Thanks for sharing.

Good work guys!

Way to go guys. Great looking rams with what was I'm sure a tough hunt.

Guys like you have me deaming of a sheep hunt.I'm not sure how I'm goning to get away with it but 2013 is my new goal.Congats to both of you.

Not too often that you see a double like that, congrats all the way around.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Way to go men! Thanks for sharing.

Nice rams ! Thanks for sharing .

I'm jealous. Thank you for sharing... Now its time for a bow hunt? Please keep posting your hunts.

Im not sure the actual weight but we took 90lbs of meat to the butcher. I weighed the cape and horns when i got home and they were 24lbs a peice. My pack goin in was 52lbs so im guessing anywhere from 120 to 140.

It is time for a bow hunt. I tried last year took my gun and bow. Got within 90 yards of 2 legal rams but couldnt get any closer. If i was gonna use the gun i wanted something bigger than what i already have so i let them walk.

Here's a couple more pics from the hunt.

P8110103.jpgP8110286.jpg

Congrats guys! Thanks for sharing the story and pics. For a guy like me who didn't make it up in the sheep mountains this year I look forward to these posts! Oh and 120-140 pound pack out for 2 1/2 days......better be in shape to chase those critters! Great job!

RC

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunter7 View Post
    Is that a bullet hole through the horn?? I did that once on a elk.

kxj66ni

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunter7 View Post
    Im not sure the actual weight but we took 90lbs of meat to the butcher. I weighed the cape and horns when i got home and they were 24lbs a peice. My pack goin in was 52lbs so im guessing anywhere from 120 to 140.

It is time for a bow hunt. I tried last year took my gun and bow. Got within 90 yards of 2 legal rams but couldnt get any closer. If i was gonna use the gun i wanted something bigger than what i already have so i let them walk.

Here's a couple more pics from the hunt.

P8110103.jpgP8110286.jpg
    90 Pounds of meat from 2 sheep? lIf so - criminal

Have you ever absolutly boned out and trimmed all sinew, fat, lympatic tissue, arteries, and tendons off an animal? How about consuming meat for two days on the haul out?

There has to always be one. And what about an approximation here? What if they kept 5 pounds of Backstrap for the BBQ?

Congrats again gentlemen. Enjoy them Rams!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast