Thread: Kuirzinjik (Lobo) Lake

Default Kuirzinjik (Lobo) Lake

Hey folks,

Just a quick question here for those in the know. Many of the lakes along the southern Brooks Range, particularly those in the central and eastern portion are receding. I have heard reports that Kuirzinjik (Lobo) Lake, once a popular landing spot for floaters on the Sheenjek, has dried up.

Can anyone confirm that for me?

Most appreciated!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mike, I think we lost LOBO years ago. Its been about 10 years ago since my last Sheenjek float, but we had to take out on a small lake on river right a mile or so above OLD WOMAN. Not such a good take out, but didn't have time to go to the Koness.
    Back in the early 80's when I was a hunting guide up there, LOBO was a God-send.
    Would check with Yukon Air.
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Mike, I think we lost LOBO years ago. Its been about 10 years ago since my last Sheenjek float, but we had to take out on a small lake on river right a mile or so above OLD WOMAN. Not such a good take out, but didn't have time to go to the Koness.
    Back in the early 80's when I was a hunting guide up there, LOBO was a God-send.
    Would check with Yukon Air.
    Goo
    Thanks, Goo. I just confirmed with another source that Lobo is gone. Kind of a shame, with so much history in that area going back to the Murie's travels in that country and all. Sounds like other lakes in the area are drying up too. Have you heard anything about Last Lake up there? I saw some pics that were supposedly taken recently and it looked okay. (BTW, no, I'm not looking for another hunting spot... :-)

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    (BTW, no, I'm not looking for another hunting spot... :-)

-Mike

Wink, wink, wink.

Mike, what we called "LAST LAKE" back in the day, was a dry lake bed that we went in on wheels close to Double Mt.
    Its my understanding that the SHEENJEK has been hit hard the last few years due to the fact that some dude did a hunting film on her. Made himself a few $ and showed the world my favorite place!! And the beat goes on!!
    Goo