Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frontiersman Article "Trouble Finds Guide"

Default Frontiersman Article "Trouble Finds Guide"

About Time!!!!!! Let's hope it sticks this time!!

TALKEETNA — A fishing guide slapped in 2006 with a stringer of violations for which he paid $10,300 in fines has again found himself on the wrong side of the law.

Troopers acting on a tip tracked down Ray Blodgett, 53, of Fisherman’s Choice Charters, as he led a fishing trip on Fish Creek Aug. 7.

Troopers report four clients were fishing with salmon roe as bait and using two hooks on their lines.

“Fish Creek is a Trophy Rainbow Trout Special Management Area where only one un-baited single-hook artificial lure is allowed,” troopers report.

The clients: Linda Meyer and Craig Johnson of Clarissa, Minn., Michael Dawson of Reno, Nev., and Richard Mclean of Anchorage were each handed $110 tickets for fishing with unlawful methods and means.

Blodgett, meanwhile, was summonsed for aiding a client in a violation.

That charge was also leveled at him in 2006, along with charges of catching a king salmon and not keeping it.

That prior case hit the courts after Blodgett led a group of clients to fish in Clear Creek in the Talkeetna River drainage the day after king salmon season closed. That case centered around a videotape one of the clients made in which Blodgett said the season had closed the day before.

Nine king salmon were caught during the trip, eight of which were taken out of the water. King salmon cannot be caught unless the fisherman is going to keep them; catch-and-release injures the fish because they are so large, troopers wrote at the time. At the end of the case, Blodgett was fined $10,300 and sentenced to do 40 hours of community work service. At the time, his business was also called Fisherman’s Choice Charters.

This guy is plastered all over the place. Maybe he does this for free advertisement
    I had asked on the other thread, before it was pulled, how far up Clear Creek is Fish creek?
    I have fished clear creek a few times before, and have never been able to find where fish creek comes into it.
    I have heard that the trout fishing up there can be outstanding and I want to give it a try.

Ray Blodgett is a real piece of work. I have had dealings with him on the Deshka River, I hope they shut him down for good!
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Ray Blodgett is a real piece of work. I have had dealings with him on the Deshka River, I hope they shut him down for good!
    BK
    Sadly they wont. 10k is probably a drop in the bucket for a season for a guide with a lot of business. This jag-off will be at it again next year.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

10k was what he got for a first offense. Let's hope the second offense is viewed appropriately by the Court.

He should never be allowed to possess a Fishing License, much less a Guide License, ever again.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I have had several run ins with Ray over the years. The last one was this past June at Clear Cr with my 80 year old grandpa. Ray tried to tell us that we could not fish there even though there was plenty of room. I sure as heck wasn't going to let him tell us where we could and couldn't fish. All that I can say is that he is a real POS! He was voted the Valley's best salmon and trout charter for 10 out of the last 11 years???? I sure would like to know who is doing the voting.....

I just heard that they took his new Wooldridge.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    10k was what he got for a first offense. Let's hope the second offense is viewed appropriately by the Court.

He should never be allowed to possess a Fishing License, much less a Guide License, ever again.
    One would hope. It doesn't seem the fines are very steep in most cases though. Ive heard only 150 bucks for fishing in closed waters and taking more than the limit. The fines need to be stepped up on stuff like this. I think that may be a better deterrent to the average joe. Of course this guy paid a 10k fine and didn't learn his lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    I just heard that they took his new Wooldridge.
    I could use a new boat. Maybe they'll sell it to me cheap.

I could give a S**T less about this law breaking moron. If his boat was taken, then he deserves it.
    Can you even get a boat up to Fish Creek?
    I was told you had to walk up there from Clear Creek if you wanted to get to it.
    I just want to find out about fishing Fish Creek!
    Is it a hush hush fishery?

Yes, he did lose his brand new boat and isnt that sweet justice for all the crap we've had to put up with over the years!

no it isn't hush hush...........to far to go for most people, not to mention not a lot of people know about it let alone fish it.

c6 they might auction it off, but my guess is the brownies or the troopers will keep it and use it in the line of work. Which might add a little salt to the wound if he is able to come up with the money to buy anther boat. As a side note, I thought that if you commited so many infractions within so many years the board of fish??????? would shut you down / suspend your guide lic. ??? is that true or am I off base here?

I have looked into what it takes to have your guide lic taken. I called everyone that might have the power to take it and they all said the same thing. Fish and Game will continue to give him a lic until the courts take his fishing lic. If he only gets a fine he will get a new guide lic next summer. Sad!!
    Bill Booth

Maybe it's time to put some pressure on him when you see him on the water....I make sure to let him know he is #1 in my book each time I pass him I salute him with my middle finger. I'm sure it would make his customers uncomfortable if everyone on the river reminded him of his P.O.S. status! Hit him in his pocketbook. Glad they took his boat, wish they would take him out of Alaska.
    BK

What a clown! Even if he gets his guide lic taken it wont be long before he is up the creek again,you cant wash off stupid.The only smart thing he ever did was put the business in the girl friends name,but a no good lawyer had to tell him to do that. Hope your gone for good Ray ,but we will still have to deal with your lacky state raping guides that u hire. Sorry for the hostile first post.

Quote Originally Posted by kingslayer1 View Post
    you cant wash off stupid.
    I thought the saying went "you cant take the stink out of s*it" but that works too...

for the record fish creek is about the size of deception creek and no longer flows into clear creek, its mouth is upstream from the mouth of clear creek about a quarter mile.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Maybe it's time to put some pressure on him when you see him on the water....I make sure to let him know he is #1 in my book each time I pass him I salute him with my middle finger. I'm sure it would make his customers uncomfortable if everyone on the river reminded him of his P.O.S. status! Hit him in his pocketbook. Glad they took his boat, wish they would take him out of Alaska.
    BK
    hehehe cork off *******s, I agree
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast