Thread: Dedicated fishfinder

Default Dedicated fishfinder

My Raymarine C90 is not doing the job. I've tried cranking up the gain but it still doesn't show fish marks, or bait balls. It's a great depth sounder.

Looking for a good, maybe 8 inch display, dedicated fishfinder.

You sure you are over fish? I mark the hell out of kings/cohos with my raymarine 57d. They look different than they do with a lowrance or furuno, but you can seem them when you know what you are looking at.

My Raymarine C90 is not doing the job. I've tried cranking up the gain but it still doesn't show fish marks, or bait balls. It's a great depth sounder.
    Jim,

That is disappointing to hear about your Raymarine C90. If I ever upgraded my electronics I have been interested in going with the RayMarine series like yours. Are other owners of BayWelds having this problem with their units as that seems to be the elctronics of choice for BayWelds leaving Allen's shop?

I just read an articlle today in Fish Alaska talking about turning off the fish id feature to eliminate false positives. But that seems to be the opposite of your problem.

Doug

The fish ID is garbage and for rookies. Turn it off. I really like the raymarines. Take a little getting used too, but I can see everything with them. One day in the boat with me and you'd be all schooled up. I wish I had taken more pictures of my screen during this last summer. I marked a ton of salmon, and caught a lot of them, but sport fishing and commercial fishing. The frequency you are running might have something to do with it. 200 in shallow water (less that 100ft) and 50 in deeper water. I just use the auto for gain, on the "trolling" setting. I think it's Med.

Here is the only screen shot I have. That little mark was a winter king, and as you can see in the bottom pic, a pretty good one! You can also see my ball down there, and some feed on the bottom.

I sometimes see fish marks on the screen but they're never arches like on your screen 270ti. And I have never seen my ball track like that. I had to replace the DSM30 sonar module. Recently there's been a software upgrade for the module that I'm getting the dealer down here to install.

I really like the unit but it's been a little spotty for me.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I have some friends who where having some issues with a Raymarine..

Furuno is a pretty bulletproof unit. I've been using a JRC on my charters, and I LOVE it.

I run a Furuno GP7000F and love it , if it was ripped off I would buy another.

I see a Bait ball on the bottom left side of the screen , Looks like a thermal line [ red broken line ] at about 90 feet, A fish arch at 50 feet.

Do you have a FISH/CRUSE select on that machine ? If so be sure you are on FISH mode.

You might want to REBOOT the machine and let it run in AUTO mode , them machines are perty smart ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific23 View Post
    Looks like a thermal line [ red broken line ] at about 90 feet,
    I think that is his down rigger ball, not a thermal line.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I think that is his down rigger ball, not a thermal line.
    I meant thermocline, not thermal line. Darn Texans!

P7220471.jpgI've got a Furuno 7000 also, i like the machine but the screen is to small for my old guy eyes. Thats some new shrimp botton i was checking out on it. I was out a couple of weekends ago with some buddies and we killed the silvers, i could pick out the silver's in the bait balls with the machine so we just cruised around till i saw them then dropped the jigs on'em and loaded up. It was a blast.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Steve, I hear ya, I now wear reading glasses for the fine stuff, I'm also typing right now on a 22" HDMI monitor and guess what ? I still wear the reading glasses if I don't change the font size.

Getting old sucks.

Pete , that is the LINE to the CLINE .

OK, that is is ball , I'm not used to looking at a guys BALLS so I'll take your word for it ....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by pacific23 View Post
    Pete , that is the LINE to the CLINE .

OK, that is is ball , I'm not used to looking at a guys BALLS so I'll take your word for it ....LOL
    Well, if you put your old man glasses back on and increased the font size a bit more, you can re-read 270ti's post and see that he identified his own "ball" on the screen. Still enjoying the heat down there? 40+ days of 100 would get a bit old.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    I sometimes see fish marks on the screen but they're never arches like on your screen
    Most times you will only see color, a fish has to pass straight through the sonar to return an perfect arch.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Yeah Pete , I helped read meters Friday and it was 105* in the shade , we walk as we only have about 1900+ meters . I now have blood blisters on the soles of my feet.

And YES I CAN READ the electric meters , there up on the house and I can see past my keyboard just fine.

But I aint fixen to show yall my Balls.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
    Most times you will only see color, a fish has to pass straight through the sonar to return an perfect arch.
    Exactly right. It's colors that tell you what's down there, not the shape of the mark. That's a 25lb ball too, and it shows up much better than the normal 10lb downrigger balls.

I'm back to looking at a dedicated fishfinder again. No GPS, just fishfinder. Anyone using the JFC-600?

Just buy one of the bigger furuno units and be done with it!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I had a Furuno GP7000F on my last boat and loved it. I also had a JRC on a previous boat which was a really good unit. I bought a Furuno FCV585 as an early Christmas present to replace the Garmin sounder I now have. Don't cheap out on the other end. The transducer makes a big difference so that may be part of your problem with the Raymarine. Spend the money on a good through hull with high speed fairing block.