Thread: Richardson highway/McCarthy road

Default Richardson highway/McCarthy road

Morning folks,

My girlfriend and I are flying to AK for a two week trip on Thursday and heading to Wrangell/St. Elias first. I'm an avid flyfisherman (she's a novice) and looking for some info that anyone may have on fishing that area this time of year. I know it's pretty late for sockeyes but wondering if people have targeted coho's in the copper river or its tributaries.

I took my father and brother on a trip to the Kenai/ Russian confluence in August two years ago and people from this forum gave me a ton of info which made our trip a huge success, so very much appreciated and thanks!!

We will be making our way to the kenai/russian confluence on this trip probably next Tuesday to try our luck with coho's and trout there since sockeyes will be closed, so any info in that area would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Nate

Eagle River/ Juneau

Not totally sure but I hear very little about silver fishing in copper river tribs, not sure if that's because they aren't there or what... The russian is really not great for cohos BTW, plus the limit is only one.

My advice
    -Hire a guide to help your GF learn (teaching GF's is bad news!)
    -Take the GF grayling fishing...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

There's silvers in the Tonsina. Thats about the furthest Copper drainage that I've heard of that has silvers. But it's tough to fish, and beyond MY skill to float. I suspect most of the silvers hit they Eyak and Ibek instead of the copper.
    I compare invasive species to children. Both can be prevented with rubber.