Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not enough troopers?

Default Not enough troopers?

I read it all the time on this forum. There are plenty of you in the know, it's unfortunate you don't the opportunity to use your knowledge to assist others. Simply put, unless you are a Fish Cop you have no teeth.

So, why not go out of the box? Propose legislation to create a Civilian Fish Cop.
    Let it become a branch of enforcement that is volunteer, requires certification, and gives the right to issue warnings and citations.

Can you imagine wearing an astutely designed jacket that is printed with Alaska Fish and Game-Civilian Enforcement Volunteer?

It's your state and your stream. It's your fish and your future. Most importantly, it's your government and it is your right to effect needed change.

They most certainly won't listen to me. I won't even make the application for Alaskan residency until January of 2013.
    Yet, they will listen to you if you make it known. All I can do is throw what I deem might be a good idea on your table...

Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK / Sarasota, FL
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

One would think there would be a way to fund such a program. Maybe some grant money or something similiar.
    Even if they were not given authority to write tickets due to some legal reasons there might be other things they could do.
    Give them all video cameras and whilst they are fishing if they spot a violator they throw on their special hat and break out the camera and turn them in with the evidence. Or if they call with a serious enough violation they would have a direct line to a trooper who shows up based on the fact of it being a more serious and witnessed violation and worth their time.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I think it's a great idea. It would definitely keep a lot more people honest not knowing how many civilian fish cops were fishing around them. I fear though that many would take it out of control and issue tickets for stupid things. It would probably clog up the court system also. Unfortunately, it would never get funded since there is no money for this kind of thing. There practically no money for anything anymore since our genius president spent us into a nonrecoverable death spiral.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Is the situation on the rivers really so bad that we need to turn AK into a police state?
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Is the situation on the rivers really so bad that we need to turn AK into a police state?
    I think it can be. Are you honestly saying you've never seen a violation? Ive seen dozens and Ive only lived and fished here this year. I dont even cover a ton of ground. Ive fished about 8-9 different rivers. How many more are there? A police state probably isnt necessary but a better more effective way to keep people honest is definitely needed.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Sounds like Hall Monitors back in School.

"An astutely designed jacket"

"Here Timmy wear this vest....There, feel important now?"

We have teeth, its called stepping up being responsible, teaching those traits to newcomers and the young, and reporting those who violate.

Busy Bodies with no formal Law Enforcement training would be a liability, not an asset...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

We already have the power to do a citizens arrest in this state. No need for more enforcement. Every citizen of Alaska has the ability.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    We already have the power to do a citizens arrest in this state. No need for more enforcement. Every citizen of Alaska has the ability.
    BK
    So you're gonna try and citizens arrest someone committing a fishing violation? I will say something to people but Im not gonna get up in someones face. Many people (including myself) are armed here. No need for that kind of trouble.

I think the comments here are rapidly overestimating the follow through that citizens would have participating in such a program. Volunteers simply don't follow through very well.

This sounds like a feel-good sort of policy that would create far more problems than it would solve.

Nothing is currently stopping anybody from documenting violations when seen, identifying the violator via license plate or boat RN, and reporting to the authorities. Are official hall monitor badges going to change anything?

can't rep you hippie but my thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    So you're gonna try and citizens arrest someone committing a fishing violation? I will say something to people but Im not gonna get up in someones face. Many people (including myself) are armed here. No need for that kind of trouble.
    I have courteously informed folks for years when I see them blatantly violating the law that their actions where illegal. Twice I have, after being told to perform a sexual act on myself by violators, called the ADF&G "Report Violations" Number in the direct presence of the criminals. And used my phones camera and/or video camera to record their actions prior to and after the phone call.

Both times response was a bit slow (hey we are in the sticks), but the offenders where cited.

I wouldn't attempt to apprehend someone, due to exactly what c6 illustrates. That is also why I believe a "volunteer" force is a liability. They may get "certification", but they would by no means have either the training or the experience needed to deal with a potentially violent situation.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    can't rep you hippie but my thoughts exactly.
    Tried repping you as well. Same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    Are official hall monitor badges going to change anything?
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!!!!

taggart-hedley_lamarr.jpg

C6,
    I didn't say I would step in and arrest someone for a fishing violation!
    I only pointed out the law essentially exists, no need for more rules and cops, that's what I am saying.
    I also carry.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!!!!

taggart-hedley_lamarr.jpg

Dern Canucks can't even get the Westerns right.....

(Tho' the Blazing Saddles reference is telling on a few fronts)

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I have courteously informed folks for years when I see them blatantly violating the law that their actions where illegal. Twice I have, after being told to perform a sexual act on myself by violators, called the ADF&G "Report Violations" Number in the direct presence of the criminals. And used my phones camera and/or video camera to record their actions prior to and after the phone call.

Both times response was a bit slow (hey we are in the sticks), but the offenders where cited.

I wouldn't attempt to apprehend someone, due to exactly what c6 illustrates. That is also why I believe a "volunteer" force is a liability. They may get "certification", but they would by no means have either the training or the experience needed to deal with a potentially violent situation.
    Ive never gotten into that situation. Most are ok or just move on to break the law else where I suspect. My hands are usually pretty nasty so Ive never had time to get my phone out and take a picture. I guess I need to try and stay cleaner while I fish.

What is the report number again?

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Ive never gotten into that situation. Most are ok or just move on to break the law else where I suspect. My hands are usually pretty nasty so Ive never had time to get my phone out and take a picture. I guess I need to try and stay cleaner while I fish.

What is the report number again?
    1 - 800 - 478 - 3377

Thats the joy of fly rods and fingerless gloves....No messy hands...Oh, and a bandana in the same ziplock as the phone is helpful as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    1 - 800 - 478 - 3377

Thats the joy of fly rods and fingerless gloves....No messy hands...Oh, and a bandana in the same ziplock as the phone is helpful as well.
    Just added to the speed dial list.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    BK
    That is crazy! The real cops don't even arrest people for fishing violations, lol...

do we need more FWP troopers? ABSOLUTELY I've been fishing here with the legally required liscense for 8 years now (when I turned 16) I've been checked 3 times by FWP, and 2 of the times I had to ask the trooper if he wanted to check my license. Also been checked once by APD (walking down viking with a fly rod in my hand lol) and USFS.

Should we train vigilantes? Probably not.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast