Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai Mountain Caribou DC001

Default Kenai Mountain Caribou DC001

Looking for any good info on a solo bike & hike Bou trip up Ressurection Trail for a long four day weekend in Sept. Suggestions on flying service for Bou location, drainages to hike up to get to elevation, and distance one thinks I can get to on a bike w/50lb pack.

I tried this hunt several years ago with a bike and kiddie sled. The trail is wide enough for the two tires to the Caribou Creek Cabin. We hiked from there and did not see a bou. If I get the tag again, I will use my fat tire snow bike and a bob sled to make it further up the trail. I will have 2-3 people with me and take 7-10 days. I will have to train for it better too. It was the hardest hunt I have ever done. All the other posts will say hike far, hunt high and camp high. Do a search and read other posts, there is good info there. Best of luck.

There is tons of info on here. I did what you are attempting last year. Went in from Hope on bikes and packs. Made it to Caribou creek cabin. Not too bad but after the cabin, the creek is on the right side of the trail and the trail gets rougher. If and when I do it again, I'll go in from Devil's Pass side and start hunting. The caribou are scarse to begin with, but caribou creek to devils pass is a good spot to start. And flying with anyone would be even smarter. Rent a cabin if you can and take in as little as possible. It's gonna be a rough pack out if ya connect.

I also did this hunt last year,but on foot from Devils Pass. I'm thinking of biking it if I ever get drawn again, although I do know peeps with horses now. We found Caribou sign everywhere but the only caribou we found was a huge shed while we were ridge walking. need to cover lots of ground and stay up high.

Thanks waterbustn'! I'll post an update once I recover from my trip.

Thanks robbentler! Do you know how far could one expect to get with a bike from the Cooper Landing side?

Thanks Daved! Yea I'm expecting it to be pretty hard. I don't have 7-10 days, more like 4.5. I was hoping to get up pretty high, just don't know what drainage to hit from the trail once it gets too hard to peddle.

Actually I'm not sure of the mileage, but it is possible to pedal the entire trail. Just not easy in some spots.

was thinking of doing the same bike trip in early oct for black bear....anyone see much for blackies on their trips up there?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Pgh Boy go in devils pass trail, hunt high there in the SNOW nothing else needs to be said. Go light it takes 2 but more like 3 days to pack one out if you take all the meat on a solo hunt,,,so 5 day minimum hunt time. The bikes a waste of time.

Packed a few out last year the snow keeps the meat cool till you get it all out.

I flew this area last week looking for caribou. We flew the west side between Resurrection trail and the Kenai flats. Only saw 2 caribou and about a dozen black bears. One of the bears was a real bruiser close to a couple of high mountain lakes. The guy I was flying was really amped up to go hunting up there until we had flown the area a bit and he saw how rugged the terrain was and how scatterd the caribou were.

Anyone have success with this tag this year? Pics?

Just went up Palmer Creek Road this weekend. Saw absolutely nothing there. So don't waste your time there.

I believe Brian did this trip successfully last year, he went in from the Kenai side of the Rex.

Just back. My buddy Skip (wish I could have gone along). Bike & hike. 11 miles in. Back home and processing meat 4 days later. Don't know what everyone else with this tag has been doing...

Pursue happiness with diligence.

Love it! They're few and far between, but there sure are some beautiful bulls in those mountains.

Tell Skip, well done. Very nice Caribou.

Another nice bull caribou, well done !

That's my bull that Rich (Wyo2AK) posted. I got him this past Saturday. Those hunting this area should listen to the other posters and get ready for a sheep hunt for caribou. We spent a few days glassing from mountain tops before we spotted this herd on Friday evening. We spotted them from about five miles away using my spotting scope - we couldn't see them at all with our binos from our initial position. Luckily, the heard held where they were and gave us a full day to go up and down a few mountains to get on them. This guy was the biggest in the herd, which consisted of 30 or 40 caribou.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Nice work. Hayduke has that tag, hopefully he'll let us know how he did.

A guy at work killed a cow on that hunt in august, he doesn't take photos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast