Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Family Caribou Hunting (SUCCESS!!)

Default Family Caribou Hunting (SUCCESS!!)

Seeing the option of four Tier I tags to be had in one camp, we started to make plans for our family of 5, both sets of grandparents, along with my cousin and her husband to hit the tundra and see if we could bag a 'bou.

I went in to setup camp on August 7th thinking we would be elbow to elbow with the other thousands of people with the same tag in their pocket. To our surprise, we didn't see anybody the entire trip...so that was a bonus. The 'clan' headed up on the 9th and I met them at the trail head and we headed in much later than expected (8pm starting a 2 hour wheeler ride is late for a 1 year old).

We saw barely a drizzle for roughly the first hour of our trek and from then on, not a drop fell from the sky for the 4 days we were there.

Taking off!!

The boy ready to rumble...

Me and the oldest:

A beauty of a rainbow made the kids happy as we drove to camp
    Last edited by hunt_ak; 08-26-2011 at 18:36.

We got to bed after midnight and didn't plan on getting an early start.

The first morning, my cousins husband, Jeremy, woke up early because he had a sub-standard sleeping bag and started a fire. He then proceeded to break CARDINAL RULE NUMBER ONE when 4 MASSIVE bulls strolled 40 yards from camp and he failed...to...wake...anyone...up!

Our goal was to get all 4 ladies in camp a caribou, so after we got up, two good bulls were spotted (along with the 4 camp bulls who were further away) fairly close to camp. 15 minutes after leaving camp, we had the girls on the animals for a possible double just hours into the opening day.

My cousin taking a bead on the caribou she was slotted to take during the pre-stalk whisperings

The 'cus and Mrs. Hunt_AK ready for a shot...

You can see a small dot in these pics and the bull was staring right at us not giving a shot opportunity. During the whisperings about shot timing between Jeremy and I, we decided that Mrs. Hunt_AK should take a shot.

It didn't end up being a double, but one bull down so far and it was a nice one!!

What it looked like through the spotter from camp:

Her first caribou was taken exactly 365 days (almost to the hour) after her first moose!

Well done ! There are some nice looking bulls being taken this year. Thanks for sharing and congratulations !

Yeaahhhh buddy!!! Nothin' I love more than being outdoors with my girls!
    How is it every guy on this forum clearly married up???

What about the part where I tried waking you up for 10 minutes with no success! With bulls that close to camp, the risk of not only waking you up from having to talk so loud as well as the risk of waking up your 3 darling children was a fine line. I think my efforts of spotting your wifes caribou long before anybody else even thought of waking up makes up for any "CARDINAL RULE" breaking that I am accused of.

Fine family,folks that make America great
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

In came the cavalry in the form of Grandparents and kids. We snapped a couple family pics

YAY MOM!!

While reveling in the early success, one of the four bulls that strolled through camp broke from the gang and we happened to see him.

My cousin and Jeremy took off from the first kill-site and after about 20 minutes, we heard two shots!

Double first caribou on the opening day and another good bull! This thing was all about main beam and not about symmetry. We lovingly dubbed him 'Gnarls Barkley'...what a unique critter...

After much cleaning, the guys got to eat breakfast at 2:30 and we had both 'bou back to camp.

We took it easy the rest of that day and enjoyed the sun. The clear weather made for a few frosty nights. One evening the baby woke from her pack and play (yes, we had a pack and play 10 miles from the road) and said "COAT ON, COAT ON!!!"....fire up the buddy heater....

Late on the second day my Dad filled his tag with another dandy bull. All 3 of these were pretty big bodied with lots 'o meat.

Not a bad sight to gaze upon while sitting around the campfire eating fresh tenderloin

On the last day on the way out, my father-in-law and Jeremy (woods&water) made a mile and a half stalk on this bull to round off the four tags. This was his first 'bou as well...

That's awsome - congrats to the ladies and crew and thanks for sharing!

I know its already pic heavy, but what the heck

Baby checkin' out Moms bull

My boy says "Why didn't the kids shoot any caribou?!"

Fresh tenderloin over the campfire

Not sure if I've ever had more gear in my truck...cab was packed too...

Baby and Mom up late (its a bundle of work doing this kind of camping with a 1 year old)

613 pounds of caribou waiting for the freezer

A few things I learned on this trip

-Primos trigger sticks are indispensable. Its a truly 'must have' item

-A buddy heater can definitely heat up a tent enough to get babies back to sleep

-TAG bags are definitely worth it

-You can have gear coming out your nose with a 1, 3, and 4 year old camping along with 8 other adults!!

-There is nothing quite like a Cabelas guide model tent

-I'd take sustained 25 mph winds over rain any day of the week

-Having a wife who can wrangle 3 kids in a camp that far from the road, drive her own wheeler, shoot a bull like that and get back to camp to cook meals is one I'm planning on chaining to myself!

-Seeing your baby girl delicately pick blueberries with her small fingers while hunting in of your favorite spots that you often hunted while growing up is worth the price of admission alone.

I'm unsure if I've worked harder on a hunt but I don't think I could've asked for a better family to hunt with, better weather, and better animals for harvesting. The word "epic" gets thrown around pretty loosely these days, but this trip has TRULY been an epic hunting trip.

Now its 'mud and blood'...that's been the story for this massive 'post cleanup' job thats not close to being finished!!
    Last edited by hunt_ak; 08-15-2011 at 23:44.

Awesome work Brosef and Cuz!!!! Wish I coulda been out there with you guys, looked like a blast and WHAT WEATHER YOU HAD!!!! Don't worry we were busy soaking up all the rain for ya to the north!!! Thanks for sharing the pics and memories!!!

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    Looks like the annual Moffat Family Slaughter, errr, harvest has begun. Looking forward to the rest.
    Hope it continues in a few weeks
    Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Yeaahhhh buddy!!! Nothin' I love more than being outdoors with my girls!
    How is it every guy on this forum clearly married up???
    I'm not sure! Some good Alaskan girls on here, thats for sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by woods&water View Post
    What about the part where I tried waking you up for 10 minutes with no success! With bulls that close to camp, the risk of not only waking you up from having to talk so loud as well as the risk of waking up your 3 darling children was a fine line. I think my efforts of spotting your wifes caribou long before anybody else even thought of waking up makes up for any "CARDINAL RULE" breaking that I am accused of.
    Duly noted. You were definitely walking a fine line there. We all know that 'stealth hunting' is outta the question with those kiddos (especially the baby!!!). Tying a rope to my leg like we discussed might show merit on future hunts!!

Glad I finally wrung your first post outta ya!! Keep it up now

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Awesome work Brosef and Cuz!!!! Wish I coulda been out there with you guys, looked like a blast and WHAT WEATHER YOU HAD!!!! Don't worry we were busy soaking up all the rain for ya to the north!!! Thanks for sharing the pics and memories!!!
    Would've been special to share it with ya, but we appreciate you sucking the rain towards you!! Sunburn city where we were

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Hope it continues in a few weeks :

Glad I finally wrung your first post outta ya!! Keep it up now
    Yes, well...some of us have to keep a low profile Glad we could help keep you and those precious kiddos out of the rain! Looking forward to a "family trip" here one of these days

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast