Thread: Any Homer Silvers?

Default Any Homer Silvers?

Thinking of re-launching my boat @ Homer next week for Silvers. Hope I'm not to late for salt caught Silvers. Any current reports for Pogy, the Bluffs, Sand Waves, Three Fingers or Silver Ridge is greatly appreciated? Hate to make the trip if I've missed it. Thanks.

Default There HERE...

Yup, silvers at Pogi today. Clients got 2 each and this 9-pound feeder king. Birds were working the water hard. I pulled up a rockfish that was spitting up needlefish, so it's only going to get better now.

Attachment 51735

Hey Cliffhanger, thanks a bunch for the heads up on Silvers by Pogy. I'd imagine that Silver Ridge & the Fingers should be heating up as well. Looks like I'll be heading to Homer within the next few days. Thanks for the info.

I have heard of these two locations, Silver Ridge and the Fingers, but do not know their locations. I hope I'm not asking too much, but could you give me a location for these two spots. Also I live on the bluff above the mouth of Stariski Creek and there are a lot of silvers in the creek. Yesterday there was about 12 boats in the salt (just out from the mouth), but unknown what their catch was. Hope this helps someone. Thanks Dan
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

I'm not on my boat & don't have access to GPS coordinates or charts but the "Fingers", "Sand Waves", & "Silver Ridge" are several miles due west of Pogy in Cook Inlet. They're all adjacent to each other. The "Sand Waves" are listed on the chart which is directly west of the Kachemak Bay chart. Once you've located them on the chart, look for bottom irregularities (looks like three fingers of a closed hand) directly north of the sand waves. Silver Ridge is south-south east of the fingers and is a large hump on the bottom. Typically you'll see other boats out there once you've gone about 5 miles west of Pogy. Simply follow the diving birds which are feeding on balls of needle fish.

Thanks gr8lyf. That gives me a direction to look at. Dan

Okay I just looked at an old chart and found the Sand Wave area. There seems to be 2 areas on the chart for Sand Wave. The north one which is pretty much straight west of Kachemak Bay at around 30 fathoms and the second one is due south of the north one(around 3 miles) at about 34 fathoms. Going to check them out. Thanks again. Dan

Default More at Pogi

frenchkings3.jpg

Got two 4 more silvers yesterday and these 2 dandy kings at Pogi.

Those are some nice looking feeders - good job! How many clients were on your charter that day? gr8lyf

gr8lyf I tried to send you a PM and for some reason I can not. Maybe you are still too new of a member as far as post go. I was trying to get a little more info (coordinates) on the 3 areas that was described before. I went to the Sand Wave area yesterday and not sure I was in right area, it was 180' of water. No other boats in the area. Could not pick out the other described areas on my plotter. Fishing was very slow, water was good but heavy rain all day. If you could PM me with a way to better pin point these location I will for ever be in your debt. Just may have to take you out fishing, as I'm always looking for a reason to go. Thanks Dan

Dan/Blue Thunder. Not sure how PM works on this site but I never got it. As for "Sand Waves", I usually fish north of there (Fingers/Silver Ridge) this late in the season. Typically there will be a bunch of charter boys (10-15 boats), searching for bait balls around the "Ridge & Fingers" by now. You should definitely see boats congregated there - I think you were too far south. I've not returned to Homer yet due to pressing family matters but intend on hitting the silvers hard as soon as I can spring loose (perhaps later next week). Coordinates are on my boat & I'm not there so exact locations are impossible to give. It's my understanding that the silvers are running late & they're just starting to show up @ Pogy. I've also heard rumors that they're picking some up around Flat Island in the current breaks. Try talking with Bart (owner), @ Homer Fish Processing for up to date info. His son Kamma is another resource for current info & he's a good fisherman. They both have a handle on where fish are being taken. Perhaps I can take you out when I return. gr8lyf

gr8lyf Let me know when and if you get down this way. I would love to hook up with you and we could go out on my boat (2859 Bayliner) or I will buy supper some night and talk fishing. Thanks Dan

I had three that day. It was a short 5 hour excursion to Pogi.

Hey Cliffhanger: That's a productive trip for only a 5 hour trip Jim. Considering that you're spending at least 1.5 hours of travel time and another 15 minutes of setting up, your clients should have been stoked. Six salmon (2 of which were Kings) for 3 hours of fishing is OK in my books. I'll probably run into you later next week after I re-launch my boat. I'm in J-26 (Eclipse) across from yours & we shot the breeze while South Central Radar installed your new antenna. Good luck fishing & thanks for the updates. Keith

Default silvers.... maybe later...

yeah, i think there's one silver in there somewhere.....
    the other 8 are kings...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

We had some great luck on Sunday - about 20 miles out by compass rose. bait balls schooling had the chicken halibut up circling around the boat like butterflies and some decent size coho swimming through them. mooched, jigged, and even had the halibut biting on my small mooching rigs. landed 3 nice coho and 1 smaller one. limited on halibut and - just had a fabulous day.

i too was looking for the fingers and silver ridge and embarassingly got out there and coudn't find it.

Sounds right . . . when you get into the bait balls, halibut will be on top with the salmon. It's a great time catching halibut while trolling for silvers. Got two 45# butts @ silver ridge last year on hoochies. It's a blast catching butts w/salmon rods. As for three fingers & silver ridge, find the NOOA chart directly west of the Kachemak Bay chart. There are three distinct topo fingers (around 32 fathoms) about 6-7 miles (guess) W,NW of Pogy. Just look for a pile of boats w/downriggers in that general area & you'll find it. Watch for diving Shearwaters & set up there. Downriggers or mooching does the trick. Often times the action out there is out of control.

Spoke w/Bart @ Homer Fish Processing yesterday & he said the silvers & kings are doing really well out there.