Thread: Impeller rebuilds

Default Impeller rebuilds

Have run through my set of shims and I want to get your recommendations on who/where (in/near anchorage) to have an impeller rebuilt and how much I should expect to pay. For a 50hp outboard

Quote Originally Posted by lineburns View Post
    Have run through my set of shims and I want to get your recommendations on who/where (in/near anchorage) to have an impeller rebuilt and how much I should expect to pay. For a 50hp outboard
    If it was mine, I'd take it to Gary at GreatLand Welding on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy....

In Anchorage, go to A1 prop & impeller repair. They used to be just off of the Old Seward around 72nd or so. Top notch outfit IMO. Greatland is hard to beat in the Valley.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I've used both mentioned shops too. Both top notch. Just depends on where ya live.

OK Thanks. About how much $ for the rebuild?

Just give either shop a call. But Great Land is booked solid for a couple of weeks when I checked last week.
    Tennessee

Can anyone recommend a place in Fairbanks to have an impeller rebuilt?

Quote Originally Posted by lineburns View Post
    If you are on the other side of your shim stack, I would think its your liner that needs replacing not the impeller.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I have mostly been told that the liner and impeller should be replaced at the same time. Just replacing the liner would be a bit cheaper. SInce I had a new spare impeller and the local shops seem to have a bit of a seasonal flood of work I'm waiting on the rebuild for now. Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else just change the liner?

The liner always wears down before the impeller, unless you make a habit of pumping serious amounts of gravel. I've seen liners wear down very quickly in silty water like you folks in Ak have.
    Is it an Aluminum or SS impeller? Even the Al units will last through quite a few liners.
    I'd grab a new liner, slab it in, shim it to proper clearance, and see where you're at. I bet your impeller is just dandy.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.