Thread: Canning moose and Bou? Any suggestions?

Default Canning moose and Bou? Any suggestions?

I have done fish for years but was thinking of canning some meat instead. Any suggestions? Like do you need to brown it before canning? Good extra ingredients? Any suggestions would be appreciated. What have you found to be a good mix?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Limited experience but I have canned deer meat. Cut up in 1"-2" raw chunks and put in quart jar. I press down but not packed tight. Leave an inch down from top of jar. I just put in a teaspoon of salt and pepper on top, no liquid. Pressure can at 10 pounds for 90 minutes. There are many ways to eat, with BBQ sauce, plain on bread with mustard, but my favorite is making a gravy with the liquid that forms in the jar, heat the meat and put in gravy and put over mashed potatoes. Very tasty. Good luck with the hunting and the canning.

Ground meat needs to be cooked before you can it. Solid chunks of meat can be canned raw.

Canned ground beef is really good and very convenient to have around. Makes a quick meal for the days you really do not want to spend much time cooking.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

We've canned moose for as long as we've hunted. Chunk and pack uncooked lean meat with the same headspace and cooking times as fish. We typically add some beef bouillon but have tried seasoned salt, garlic salt, etc. Worchestershire Sauce is my favorite moose condiment but I've never tried it in canned meat. Out of the jar the meat makes great stews and spaghetti sauce and my favorite, add some mayo and spicy mustard and mash it up for meat salad sandwiches.

I like to slightly cook to color the meat and provide texture. I usually add salt and black pepper. Did one batch up with taco seasonings, and came out really well. Makes it easy to have tacos or burrito wraps in hunting camp. Meat does not need refridgeration till open.... and if tastes good normally don't have left overs! Another good flavor is brown up ground meat and pack with one or two slices of jalopenoes. Make sure you trim as much fat off as possible, watch headspace, and wipe top of jars carefully.
    You can always make a small batch with mixed products (same size jars) and test to see what you like before doing a big batch of any one flavor.

Chris

Default liquid smoke

we left about 1in space from the meat to the lid and added a drop or two of liquid smoke and that was yummy

I just canned a case of ground moose (last years). Browned then canned, it looks great can hardly wait to eat it.