Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Successful Sheep Hunt

Default Successful Sheep Hunt

Here is the story of my latest sheep hunt. After getting into the hunting area I had chosen on Thursday August 11th, my son and I immediately spotted many sheep along the hillsides but of course they were ewes, lambs, and 2 year old rams. So we decided to look further into the drainage behind us and low and behold there were 9 rams eating along the grassy slopes in front of their escape terrain. After deciding that a few were legal we decided to drop back down the creek bed and back to camp. Friday came and there was not a cloud in the sky. We ate breakfast and gathered our essential tools and water and headed up a ridge to get a better look. We sat for a few hours glassing where they had been the night before and they were nowhere to be found. I was getting bummed by this point. We kept looking and finally found them in the high rocks below the top of the mountain. We then put a stalking plan together and decided to wait on the other side where the rams fed the night before. We waited there what felt like forever and the rams never did move. The afternoon was passing by quick. I decided it was do or die so we snuck up below them, (they watched us the whole time), to a good shooting rest. Range finder wasn't working and the rams started to get unsettled and were all standing up looking down on us. The oldest ram got up and started heading to the left and up the mountain. Time was running real short. Now or never. I got the rifle (Weatherby .300 Accumark V and 180 grain Nosler Partition) in a good position and found the ram in the scope, took a deep breath and pulled the trigger and thought I missed. As i was ejecting the cartridge my son started yelling he's rolling down the mountain. The job was done. We field dressed the ram and all the edible meat when the fog started down the mountain toward us. By the time we made it back to camp at 11:30 it was really foggy and the rain was coming down relentlessly. Didn't even bother with dinner, went straight to bed. Awoke the next morning to rain, fog, and caribou. Was a really wet and miserable day Saturday getting back out of sheep country. Sealed the ram at the Palmer F&G office this morning. Measurements were left horn length: 34 1/8", left horn base was 12 6/8", right horn length: 33 2/8", and the right horn base was 12 4/8." Ram was 8 years old. Going to have backstrap tonight, can't wait. Here is a picture of me with the ram.FH000007.jpg
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Congrats Mr Grayling - and wow what a breathtaking picture - truly an adventure to remember!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Nicely done! There are few things better than a father-son hunt, especially when the quarry is sheep. Thanks for sharing.

Well Done, Congratulations to both of you.

Way to go man!!! Good push for sure. Enjoy the memories and good food.

Sometimes things just work out. Congrats to you and your Father!! Nice Ram.

Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 08-15-2011 at 18:56.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Nice going Mr. G, one fine trip with your son too! Great memories for sure, not to forget the packages in the freezer!

Congrats to you and your son. It will be a memory neither of you will ever forget.

Great job, awesome sheep!

Most excellent, thanks for sharing the hunt!

Thanks for the kind words fellas, and I hate to rub this in, but I had sheep backstrap cooked in olive oil, butter, and seasoned with Serendipity, and mashed potatoes with corn on the cob. Heaven on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grayling View Post
    Thanks for the kind words fellas, and I hate to rub this in, but I had sheep backstrap cooked in olive oil, butter, and seasoned with Serendipity, and mashed potatoes with corn on the cob. Heaven on Earth.
    Sounds ok.............. who am I trying to kid, that sounds **** delicious! Been a couple years since I've sunk my teeth into some sheep, but I remember it very well! Good stuff, wish I would have connected last year.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Congraqts on your success! If there were more than on legal ram, how come your son didn't get one? Too much work most likely.

Congrats on a wonderful trophy!! Sound like you made short order of it.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Yes, just that one sheep was enough. That was the most horrible weather we have had out of all the hunts
    that we have done. Rain,snow,wind,and sleet. But it was also the best. Next year or the year after we are
    going again for me. Going caribou hunting in a week or two. Gotta go get another freezer. (the first one is full of fish)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Springer View Post
    Congraqts on your success! If there were more than on legal ram, how come your son didn't get one? Too much work most likely.
    Steve, you hit the nail on the head. My son is only 11, could have got another one, but we decided one was plenty.

way to show the son on how to get it done!nice sheep

That's not rubbing it in . . . you earned it! Congratulations on the father-son sheep hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grayling View Post

Congrats to the father and son combo! Very nice!

IMG_0024.jpgLove all the hunt stories pouring in from the field. Wondering if anybody hunted in the Wrangells, Talkeetna's or the Kenai mountains? My loving wife made Souvlaki with sheep meat and vegtables. Was really good. Anyway, hope everybody is enjoying the last bit of summer, or early fall. Good luck to all those still heading into the field.

Jason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast