Thread: Fur sewing ideas

Default Fur sewing ideas

HI, I have several tanned fox hides. Thinking of having gloves made for my wife as birthday present. Is this feasable? Or what should i have done? Who should i get to make something? Thanks rol@acsalaska.net

I'd pick out the nicest fur and have a hat made out of it instead. Most folks that do gloves, get commercially made gloves that are made of a soft suede or deer skin and decorate them to taste with bead work, fur trim from scrap and/or added on gauntlets with bead work.
    I had a pair of gauntlets that my gf had made for me. The glove was commercial and had smoked moosehide gauntlets added with eagles (US Seal pattern) beaded on them. The tops, wrists and back running down to the fingers were trimmed in beaver fur. Fringes were on the outside running from the wrist to the top of the gauntlet with a beaver fur tassle hanging from a longer fringe at the wrist.
    The same lady who made the gloves also did a pair of beaded moosehide slippers and a marten hat to order.

You don't give a location for yourself, but since my gf is from one of the villages, it's easy for me to get stuff made. She beads, but doesn't sew.

There are a lot of people out there who are very talented at making hats, gloves, mukluks and slippers. One of the things you can do is attend a native function of some sort like the AK Festival of Native Arts or the World Eskimo Indian Olympics where people are selling their crafts and look over their work. Most of them will make items for you to order with materials you or they supply.
    Now what ?

Default fox is fairly delicate...

Fox doesn't get used for gloves or mittens often because the skin is too thin - stitches could rip out too easily. The best use for fox is a nice hat, or better, a fur headband with a nice tail attached (headband is usually about 4" wide with velcro in the back). Really simple to make, probably cheap to have someone put together. Any seamstress can make things from fox because you can sew the hide easily with a regular sewing machine. I only wear my fur hat when out in the cold for a hours at a time or all day, but I wear my fox headband when I don't want to mess up my hair - to and from work (and yes, I'm a woman).

Default Things to do with fox

Thanks for your imput.