Thread: Denali Highway caribou info

Default Denali Highway caribou info

I'm at work, and do not have my regs. Is there caribou hunting going on around the Tangle lakes area? I was looking at heading down that way this weekend to camp with my wife. I just don't want to go if folks are going to be hunting hard around that area. I went last spring, and didn't realize there was a subsis hunt going on. That was crazy busy. If it's getting hunted, I'd prefer to just stay out of folks way, and go camping elsewhere. Info? thanks.....
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Tier I hunting started on August 10, 2011 so you will most likely run across hunters.

Additionally this weekend is the opening weekend for the drawing permit hunt up there, thus adding to the numbers. I wouldn't count on being alone in that area this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    Tier I hunting started on August 10, 2011 so you will most likely run across hunters.
    Thanks for the info FishKing.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Honestly, we went up last weekend and didn't see as many hunters as I thought there would be. Probably more tourists. The tangle lakes campground was full, but there are plenty of pull outs for camping. We shot our caribou very close to the east shore of tangle lakes. You will see people, but I think most are on 4 wheelers a ways from the highway. I'm going again this weekend to help my brother fill his bull permit.

Thanks for the info folks! I think we'll just stay away from that area for awhile longer. I'll let folks trying to fill the freezer have a little extra breathing room, and head off in a different direction!

I saw more campers and tourists than hunters. the colors should be good this weekend.