Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor of very large ram taken this year

Default Rumor of very large ram taken this year

Just got word of a 46" ram taken this year. Haven't seen any pics, but the report is credible.

This will be the first sheep season I've missed in the last four years or so. Had a nasty mountain bike crash and tore up my right knee in early August. At this point, I'm just hoping it will recover in time for some mid-fall SEAK blacktail hunting.

I hope its true. If someone is finding big rams in open areas it is encouraging that there are still big rams out there. On the other hand if its another subsistance sheep it just pisses everyone off.......
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Sounds like this ram was taken in an open, relatively hard hunted, well known area.

I'd like to see a pic when you get it???

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    I'd like to see a pic when you get it???
    +1, and a story.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

was that an offical measurement, or a field taping? I have never harvested a "wild' sheep so don't know if any shrinkage. Really just curious, I know my biggest moose lost about 6 inches in width from day I shot him till I got the mount back and it had dried.

Chris

A 46" ram in an open area that is a well known, hard hunted area?? Sorry but without a solid report and pics of a sealed ram, i'm finding that very hard to believe. I would believe another "subsistence" ram from the Wrangells though.

Well, if it be so..........I extend a massive congratulations to whom ever scored that trophy.

This story was relayed to me by a friend the day after he got back from his sheep hunt this year. He ran into an air taxi operator on a strip they were both using and the air taxi operator reported that one of his clients killed the 46" ram. The air taxi operator also mentioned this ram to a guide hunting the same location. I have no reason to doubt this report.

I'll add to the rumor. When I was at Fairbanks fish and game getting my ram sealed they told me I just missed a 45" on one side 42" on the other that had been in for sealing....was taken in the Brooks.

One of my students had his dad take a 41" ram by bow that should make at least top 20 P&Y from the Brooks. The student missed on one almost the same size. He, the student, took a 42" incher last year. Families like that give me hope for the future.

believe it when I see it...I know of a young 40in ram but thats it

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Commercial operators need successful clients to further the biz. Doesn't mean the story is false, but I've always taken info from guides/transporters with a grain of salt until evidence is available.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

There's starting to be some independent verification. Pics have been floating around Anchorage and were seen in Barney's yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Trout View Post
    believe it when I see it...I know of a young 40in ram but thats it
    Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Commercial operators need successful clients to further the biz. Doesn't mean the story is false, but I've always taken info from guides/transporters with a grain of salt until evidence is available.

Default 42 7/8" and 42 3/8" green score 176"

a friend of a friend took this one, probably not the 46" you guys are talking about but a nice ram none the less
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    A 46" ram in an open area that is a well known, hard hunted area?? Sorry but without a solid report and pics of a sealed ram, i'm finding that very hard to believe. I would believe another "subsistence" ram from the Wrangells though.
    +1...

Love to be proven wrong about it though.
    Proud to be an American!

Attachment 51816 Sorry couldn't resist :-)
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default Ram

I will confirm this story as it was my hunting partner that took this ram somewhere in the Brooks I had it in my hands and helped pack it.I took a 37 1/2 and his was 46 on the strong side.I will post a story and pics after I discuss with hunting partner just got out of the field. He green scored 178 which will put him well in the books and was taken in open hunting land.One hell of hunt and Bill deserved his ram as we both hiked well over 20 miles.

Big 27
    A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Quote Originally Posted by BIG 27 View Post
    I will confirm this story as it was my hunting partner that took this ram somewhere in the Brooks I had it in my hands and helped pack it.I took a 37 1/2 and his was 46 on the strong side.I will post a story and pics after I discuss with hunting partner just got out of the field. He green scored 178 which will put him well in the books and was taken in open hunting land.One hell of hunt and Bill deserved his ram as we both hiked well over 20 miles.

Big 27
    I wish I would have taken you up on that hunting partner ad earlier in the year haha (I'm sure I'm not the only one) Congrats on your success that's amazing!!

Oh, this is gonna get goooood! Looking forward to the story and photos.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast