Thread: Is everybody going to set up "early" this year

Default Is everybody going to set up "early" this year

Only couple weeks til opening day. Last year I set out deks, etc early to "claim my spot" and I didn't like it. First time i've ever done that on public land. The area had loads of people, some very close to where I had set up. I had a difficult time finding my set due to putting it way back in a remote corner. Not going to do it this year. I will be on the water on the 31st scouting and making plans on where I plan to hunt at the next morning, check current water levels and accesability, etc. On the first, I'll head out a couple hours earlier then usual to fight the crowd and find my chosen location, or at least close to it without infringing on somebody who might already have filed claim there. Have a extra thermos of coffee and maybe donuts to pass the morning away. If I like the spot and do ok, I may leave the deks out for the next morning but I would consider that a little different then setting up the day before the opening.

What are your plans, those of you with deks, are you going to wait til opening morning to claim your hunting location, or put out a day or 2 early. Remember, its public land, somebody has every right to come out and sit right next to you and hunt your deks along with you. Lets hear it. Bud
    Wasilla

I claimed my area and just killed two geese this morning. I guess that counts as early. Guess I better go to the Post Office and get a stamp.

Yay it's almost time for the annual pissing match over morals and setting up early and leaving your decoys out then crying when someone sets up next to your abandoned decoys on public land! It is like clock work these annual debates got to love it!

I'll be out there the 31st scouting and i'll setup my deeks around midnight. wont be able to sleep anyway lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Yay it's almost time for the annual pissing match over morals and setting up early and leaving your decoys out then crying when someone sets up next to your abandoned decoys on public land! It is like clock work these annual debates got to love it!

AMEN Bsj425,
    Why can't we just get together with our deks, guns, shotshells and dogs and do like our grand fathers. Find where the birds are at all kill the darn things! After all are we not all trying to do the same thing, feed our families, meet new hunters and have a good time while doing this. Maybe I was just brought up the wrong way.

Terry

I will set mine up the day before the season, but I will also be in a tent a hundred yards away from them. I don't leave my decoys out without a babysitter. Too many theives out there.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Going to take the two I killed this morning to the dumpster. I can kill my friends, but I can't eat my friends. Cost of Duck & Goose food has doubled from $10.55 to $22.70 per 50# (Good thing we have no inflation).

so do you shoot ducks and geese with a bolt action also?
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

boy, this thread has taken some strang turns in its short life, lol!

I'll be out there early, but I'm not setting up decoys before the season. Too much work to go out a head of time just to set up and go home.

The tide isn't very good for a morning shoot anyway, so I'll hunt in one spot for opening light and plan to set up decoys for the high tide later in the day.

Erich

Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870 View Post
    boy, this thread has taken some strang turns in its short life, lol!

I'll be out there early, but I'm not setting up decoys before the season. Too much work to go out a head of time just to set up and go home.

The tide isn't very good for a morning shoot anyway, so I'll hunt in one spot for opening light and plan to set up decoys for the high tide later in the day.

Erich
    I don't advocate putting out early then going home,( alot can happen between home and the marsh) but if you are going to be camping out and plan on hunting the spread over a few days I don't really see a problem with it. It's legal for one,( everyone has the same option) unlike most other states. And stealing's not. As for people setting up on you, I have found that it don't really matter, they still set up on you. Now whether you agree with it or not let's try to keep a 300 yard distance please. And if you do happen to set up on someone work together. Now let's play nice.

We'll be setting up the morning of the opener. IMO, I think too many things can happen to ruin a hunt when setting up decoys prior to the hunt...not to mention that it doesn't take that long to set them up in the morning. The wind could also change and then you'll have to pick them up and change locations all over again.
    Personally, I like setting up in the morning especially on opening day. Finally "the day" has come, the decoys are looking nice and the dog is ready to go. The only thing to make things complete is spilling the coffee all over the place when you hear them cupped up and screaming over head.

In the words of Bart Scott.....CAN'T WAIT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJshw2Axsqc&NR=1

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    The only thing to make things complete is spilling the coffee all over the place when you hear them cupped up and screaming over head.
    Yeah, 10 minutes before legal shooting time, a dozen birds in the decoys ...... and then nothing for an hour.....sigh....good times for sure.

I've been haunted by picking up decoys and the birds always coming in when I'm standing waist deep in the drink. That being said, I've gone as far as trying to trick the birds because it always seems like they're gonna come in as soon as you get out of the blind.

Ah, we'll give it five more minutes....then another five minutes...looks good to you? Yeah, I don't see any birds...they must be done flying for the day...and right when you think its safe to pick up the decoys...get down get down...here they come over the treeline!
    Gosh, I love duck hunting!

Got to love the ideas running on this topic..lol

Here is my 2 cents for the opener...1: keep the distance from other hunters, Min 300-400 Yards. If you realize you want to hunt the same area..ask him or her and see if you can work together..if you are hunting out with us in the flats..there should be plenty of water to move around and find another spot. If you set up to close to me or a couple of others I know..they will come to you and ask you to move or they will. If in doubt, just run over and ask what they think.. most will provide information on other great areas or spots...common sense please..not looking to get confrontational..just take a common sense approach to duck hunting with others..some new hunters dont know that within 300 yards, this really can cause issues with birds working. 2. If you just bought a duck call and dont know how to blow it or the different types of calls and when to use them...leave it at the house or in the trk...dont bring it and try to learn on the morning of the opener..BUT, if you are hunting with somone that knows and is willing to teach you..then bring it and only use it when he says so...never know..you might get one down good enough to help...might take you awhile to learn the rest...birds do flare to a dying mallard..lol 3. Skybusting...got to love this topic...dont think the 31/2 will kill that duck at 1/4mile high..kills me to have a bunch of birds working the marsh or spread and some knucklehead thinks that while the birds are turning out to come in that he has to shoot across the marsh and try to break a wing....shoot birds working your spread. 4. make sure you have enough gas to get out and back...have given away gas to a many hunters over the years as others..dont mind..but plan for mistakes and oversights on your part...lastly..have fun, meet other waterfowlers and enjoy the sport together, should be a great season, anyone wanting to link up and learn the ropes or just shoot birds..let me know..specially like getting the kids into the sport..dads that dont have decoys, boat etc...shoot me a PM. I will help if our schedules link up.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.