Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunters arrested by AK. State Troopers

Default Hunters arrested by AK. State Troopers

The article states that some hunters were arrested, but I suspect that they were actually just cited rather than taken into custody and arrested. People are rarely arrested for game violations.

Read the regs.....saves the troopers a lot of hassle.
    BK

Let the excuses Begin
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    The article states that some hunters were arrested, but I suspect that they were actually just cited rather than taken into custody and arrested. People are rarely arrested for game violations.
    If a trooper pulls you over for a traffic violation, you are under arrest. You are not booked and incarcerated, but you are under arrest. If you fail to pull over it is called resisting arrest. If you were stopped and only given a verbal warning, you were still under arrest. This is my understanding.

Here is the definition of arrest as per dictionary.com:

to seize (a person) by legal authority or warrant; take into custody: "The police arrested the burglar. "

Hoping not too many of our ranks goofed up!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    BK
    Well, the first question is, do they even care about the regs. I suspect there are enough rouge players that don't, until they get nailed.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

May have been taken in for other reasons such as booze or felon with weapon.Untill the whole story is known its like T.V. news
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    If a trooper pulls you over for a traffic violation, you are under arrest. You are not booked and incarcerated, but you are under arrest. If you fail to pull over it is called resisting arrest. If you were stopped and only given a verbal warning, you were still under arrest. This is my understanding.
    Not true. You can be cuffed for officer safety. You can be detained for many reasons, and not be arrested. You are arrested when you have been charged with a crime, detained, and read your rights (basically the point at which you are told you have been arrested, and are going to jail). If you fail to pull over (failure to stop), you have committed a crime (beyond the traffic violation), and then will be arrested when caught for that crime. Thatís just the basics of it, no pissing match intended. Not attacking you, but what you basically said, was that any time a LEO stops and talks to you, you are under arrest.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    My buddy and I just talked about this incident. We both were thinking the same as you after we read it in the Fairbanks paper. People have been arrested for poaching and game violations before, but the majorities are citations. The liberal Fairbanks paper loves to pump up a story. They also included the fact that one group left to get butchering equipment, and one of their caribou was still alive when they returned with the troopers. Why was that bit of information included in the article? Is there a failure to dispatch law now on the books that I donít know about? Our paper up here really loves to put as much negative spin on things like this as they can.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Scroll down and see what really happened, per the dispatch:
    http://www.dps.state.ak.us/PIO/dispa...1.20110814.txt

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    May have been taken in for other reasons such as booze or felon with weapon.Untill the whole story is known its like T.V. news
    You're prob right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Scroll down and see what really happened, per the dispatch:
    http://www.dps.state.ak.us/PIO/dispa...1.20110814.txt
    Yeah, the troopers don't use the word "arrest" for their stops. Here's the text from a couple of them:

Case Number: 11-80054
    Type: Take Caribou Closed Area X 2
    Text: On 8-13-2011 at 1740 hours, 36 year old Erik Foote of Palmer, and
    49 year old Phillip Chapman, also of Palmer were charged with taking
    caribou in a closed area. The charges resulted after AWT on patrol
    observed the men walking towards the Richardson Highway with rifles in
    Donnelly Flats. AWT contacted the men and learned that they had just
    shot two bull caribou not far away, and were getting the butchering gear
    out of the truck. AWT seized the rifles and accompanied the men back to
    the two bull caribou, one of which had to be finished off, as it was
    still alive.
    The area where the caribou were shot in Donnelly Flats falls within a
    portion of Game Management Unit 20D West of Jarvis Creek, which has no
    open season for caribou.
    The meat was donated to a charity from Delta Junction at the scene, and
    the antlers and rifles are being held as evidence. The two men are
    scheduled to be arraigned in Delta Junction District Court.
    Author: BSG9
    Received Sunday, August 14, 2011 2:14 PM and posted Sunday, August 14, 2011 2:42 PM

---------------------------------------------
    Case Number: 11-80381
    Type: Delta Controlled Use Area Violation
    Text: On 8-14-2011 at 0940 hours AWT on aircraft patrol observed a
    highway vehicle .4 statute miles inside the Delta Controlled Use Area,
    near Donnelly Flats. There were several men walking in the brush nearby,
    one which had a bow visible. There were several bull caribou in sight as
    well. Upon landing, AWT contacted the men and learned that the three men
    had been hunting for caribou, and were attempting to get across Jarvis
    Creek. 26 year old John Wild, of North Pole was charged with using his
    motorized highway vehicle to transport big game hunters and hunting gear
    inside the DCUA. The men had seveval large caliber firearms and other
    hunting gear with them in addition to the bow.
    Wild is scheduled to be arraigned in Delta Junction District Court.
    Author: BSG9
    Received Sunday, August 14, 2011 2:14 PM and posted Sunday, August 14, 2011 2:49 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    Not true. You can be cuffed for officer safety. You can be detained for many reasons, and not be arrested. You are arrested when you have been charged with a crime, detained, and read your rights (basically the point at which you are told you have been arrested, and are going to jail). If you fail to pull over (failure to stop), you have committed a crime (beyond the traffic violation), and then will be arrested when caught for that crime. Thatís just the basics of it, no pissing match intended. Not attacking you, but what you basically said, was that any time a LEO stops and talks to you, you are under arrest.
    As I stated that WAS my understanding, which I got directly form a LEO friend. Thanks for the clarification, and I do not even remotely consider your response as hostile. Rep point sent. Thanks

You know that area near Delta is a magnet for violations. From the non motorized restrictions to the caribou and moose in closed and restricted areas to shooting sublegal bull moose the papers are filled with violations in that area. They need to put some huge signs along the road way and at all access points regarding the non motorized and closed to caribou and moose hunting areas cause apparently the hunting regulations booklet is too difficult for a lot of guys to understand!
    ďI come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. ď Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    They need to put some huge signs along the road way and at all access points....
    The wouldn't last a week.

There are signs on the road system, last I looked. The new regulation book seems fairly clear to those who read and follow the rules. It is the ones who don't follow the rules that we as hunters keep hearing about, and wearing a proverbeal blackeye for. To the public a poacher is a hunter, not a usually criminal.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    BK
    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Let the excuses Begin
    Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    ...apparently the hunting regulations booklet is too difficult for a lot of guys to understand!
    When these gus are standing before the judge perhaps they can claim the defense that they tried to read the regs, but they were just too doficult to understand! Yup, illiteracy and ignorance is always a great excuse.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    As I stated that WAS my understanding, which I got directly form a LEO friend. Thanks for the clarification, and I do not even remotely consider your response as hostile. Rep point sent. Thanks
    Thanks! Take care.

I've seen plenty of signs in that area. For some reason or another, there are always violations in that area. I think people see a caribou and moose, and think they can get away with it. It isn't that difficult to understand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast