Thread: Trapping School

Supporting Member

Default Trapping School

The Alaska Frontier Trappers Association is offering a 1-day general trapping school on October 1st. For more information and/or registration, contact Bob Shumaker at (907) 745-2807.

Where is the class going to be located at?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Where is the class going to be located at?
    And any other information (Cost....???), that could be posted. I would like to learn the basics of trapping. From a survivalist prospective.

Supporting Member

Class will be conducted at the University of Alaska, Mat-Su campus off Trunk road in the Valley. Scheduled to run from 8 am to 5 pm. Youth 15 & younger $30, 16 and older $50, AFTA members $25 (all prices include lunch). Space is limited to 60 students maximum. Please register by paying in advance, either at the AFTA website (www.akfrontiertrappers.com) or by mailing payment with your name and contact number to AFTA, P.O. Box 3208, Palmer, AK 99645.

Supporting Member

Forgot to mention the price for "non-members" includes a 1 year membership in the AFTA.

Supporting Member

Still some openings left for the general trapping school on the first of October. Adults (male & female) and children welcome to attend.

Back in the State (MatSu Valley) and I ain't ever leaving!

Default Another Date For Trapping School...October 15th

I home school my boy through IDEA and they sent an e-mail about a Beginner's Trapping school on October 15th.
    The information is similar as listed above but on the 15th. I wonder if they got the date wrong on the e-mail I received?
    Here's the information in the e-mail I received:

SOUTH CENTRAL CHAPTER OF THE ALASKA TRAPPERS ASSOCIATION
    TRAPPING SCHOOL FOR BEGINNERS

>>> NEW FORMAT <<<

- Interactive Stations
    - BBQ
    - Swap Meet

Includes:
    - Trapping Ethics
    - Hands-on Basic Trap & Snare Techniques

COST: $30 = Youth (17 & under) Must be with paying adult
    $90 = Adults / 18 yrs and up (incl 1 year ATA Membership/Magazine)
    Discount available for current ATA members
    Limited Seating - prepayment required to hold seating

WHEN: Saturday, October 15, 2011
    8am - 6pm

WHERE: Beach Lake, S. Birchwood Loop (Chugiak)
    Training will include outdoor session, dress accordingly

CONTACT: Keith 907-223-1993 or email: nohorn@gci.net-- re: Trapping School

NOTE: Early Registration Encouraged
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ******

I do plan on attending and bringing the boys. Anytime out in the woods with my boys is a good day indeed!

BakinAlaska, the Trapping School that spike posted is being put on by the AFTA on the 1st of Oct. The one on the 15th is for the ATA. I'm sure you and the boys would have a wonderful time at either one!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Supporting Member

Still some seats open for the trapping school on Saturday, October 1st. As an added note, all students will be receiving a 3-ring binder with course materials that is theirs to keep at the end of the class.

Supporting Member

Thank you to everyone who helped make our first annual AFTA general trapping school such a huge success. The school was well attended and we had a good mix of adults (male & female) and children present. We were also fortunate to have 4 of the valley's AST Fish & Wildlife Enforcement troopers in attendance and their presence and participation was well received and appreciated by students and instructors alike. As an added bonus, the weather cooperated and we had great (though a bit windy) conditions for the field portions of the school. We would also like to give a special "Thank You" to the Mat-Su campus and staff of the UAA for allowing us classroom space and to the UAF Experimental Farm for allowing us to use their property for the field portions of the class. We're hoping to make this an annual event and look forward to swelling the ranks of our trapping fraternity with well-educated new trappers.