Thread: 1993-2005 johnson or evinrude 40 48 50 lower unit?

Default 1993-2005 johnson or evinrude 40 48 50 lower unit?

does anyone know where i might find a 1993-2005 johnson or evinrude 40 48 or 50 lower unit?

my lower unit on my 96 johnson 50 (J50TLEDS) isn't in too great of shape, quite a bit of metal shavings came out and a little bit of water was in there as well, i also have help available if i choose to look into it myself, so also curious as to how difficult a job some people would consider rebuilding/repairing a lower unit, i am pretty mechanically inclined and have done quite a bit of work on trucks, dozer, snow machines and 3 wheelers over the years, swapped couple transmissions, rebuilt some motors, stuff like that just to give u an idea, i have zero experience working on lower units, but my dad said he's done a few and my cousin said he's done a few as well, but if anybody might have a line on a lower unit like maybe a salvage yard to call or someone who may have swapped one for a jet or lost a powerhead on, i've been told all the 93-2005 johnnyrudes in 40,48 and 50 are interchangeable so that's kinda nice to know, outboardexchange.com says they got em for 560 used or 1050 remanufactured so that is another option but have seen several other lower units even some new on craigslist for 50-300 bucks (just not lucky enough to run into the one i need right now) so i figured i might poke around and see what kinda stuff might be around local b4 i buy used or do any work on this one.... thanks in advance for any information u might have or even just a little insight if you've been in the same spot b4

frank...

For *****s and giggles one day I was on Ebay, and typed in Evinrude 48 spl, and was pleasantly suprised of the amount of parts available for my engine should I ever need them. If push comes to shove, and you cant find one locally, I know I seen plenty on there along with all the other "nice to have extra" parts. Just have to sift through the ones that charge a ton for shipping, and you should be ok. My skag is missing, and has a Mac's River Runner on it to cover up the carnage. I feel I lose some performance from my engine with it on there, and was also considering replacing the lower unit, or atleast getting a new one welded on. anyway, hope this helps, and good luck
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

thanks, i called JKS and they said they can pop it off and take a look at it and it might not be too bad, but worse case they said they got a good used one they went through for a very affordable price, so i think i'll probably take it on over there tomorrow, i'm gonna be busy heading out to the bush to get my moose tag and do some work on the homestead and i'll be going back in september to go moose hunting so it should work out good for my busy fall schedule. i was kinda hoping i'd be lucky and find one laying around but it sounds like j kimberly should take care of me...

i did check around ebay they do have tons of lower units and some really ncie lookin ones for real good prices, but couldn't find one for mine sept for a 1500 dollar rebuilt one... but yeah ebay sure is good i've found lots of goodies for old snow machines and stuff b4