Thread: Seward Silver Salmon Derby- Round 1

Default Seward Silver Salmon Derby- Round 1

Seward Silver Salmon Derby - Round 1
    August 13 & 14, 2011

Saturday I get off to a late start. Don't get in the water till 11am. 8 hours later...nadda...for salmon. Got bored so dropped deep and got a DOUBLE! Too bad it was P-Cod. Argh.

So I stay at a great Bed and Breakfast, Alaskan Odyssey http://www.alaskanodyssey.com/ Check it out if you are staying in Seward.

I sleep in again! Ack! But at least I am on the water by 7am.

Nothing for the first hour and then my rod doubles over! Oh yeah!...Dang lost it...wait...what the heck?

WHaaaa? THAT caused my rod to double over? Hmmm..... something fishy going on here...

Finally after paddling out to Tonsina Creek, I see a few boats hooking up. It took me over an hour but finally I get hit. Nothing. ARGH!

Finally I get in the groove and quickly land 3. My first one I thought was a monster. Then I weighed it and it was only 12 pounds. Needs to be 50 percent; bigger to even have a shot. One's a runt that I let go after closely examining the fish for tags.

I get hit another 3 or 4 times and no hook ups. I hate shortening the second hook. But I don't want to leave snag marks even if the first hook is in the mouth. I'm going to make them longer. I got to land them before I have to worry about snag marks. 90% will be ok.

2 more towards the end of the day closer to Miller's Landing. Keep one, let the other go.

So the tally after two days, 20 hours of on water time....5 fish landed. Biggest a respectable 12 pounds and 30+ inches for an upgarde for my AOTY points! Got something out of it at least!

Because it was a derby, I really didn't mess around with the video.

I'll be back next week!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Hey Kard, do you have a way to keep the fish cold out there? In my experience, silvers need to go on ice soon after they are caught or the quality of the meat degrades very fast. I'm not criticizing, just asking if you've come up with some ideas for this since you clearly put a lot of thought into your rig and your techniques. Back in the day, I used to just keep pouring seawater on them, but in my experience, Res Bay water isn't all that cold unless you are near Bear Glacier, and even then, it's not cold enough.

Great question. And if the criticism is legit and constructive, then I have no issues with hearing it.

I used to carry a fish bag with some gel ice. I need to get back into doing that. You are right about the cohos deteriorating fairly fast. Throw in the fact that in the ocean they are feeding actively and there is "stuff" in their stomachs they can go bad.

I've just been using a towel over the top and dumping seawater on to them. The water was 55 deg so its not really "cold". I am going to pick up one of these http://www.amazon.com/PRECISIONPAK-CATCH-FISH-KEEPER-35489/dp/B0040U6PIW

Here's a good link for you to study. http://nsgl.gso.uri.edu/aku/akug89005.pdf

By holding a coho for 12 hours at 50 deg, and then icing, you reduce the shelf life from 12 days to about 10 days. It's not a good thing and its not a premium fish but it is perfectly fine for smoking and canning.

But I agree with you completely, I need to come with a better fish storage system for the summer time.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Great question. And if the criticism is legit and constructive, then I have no issues with hearing it.

I used to carry a fish bag with some gel ice. I need to get back into doing that. You are right about the cohos deteriorating fairly fast. Throw in the fact that in the ocean they are feeding actively and there is "stuff" in their stomachs they can go bad.

I've just been using a towel over the top and dumping seawater on to them. The water was 55 deg so its not really "cold". I am going to pick up one of these http://www.amazon.com/PRECISIONPAK-CATCH-FISH-KEEPER-35489/dp/B0040U6PIW

Here's a good link for you to study. http://nsgl.gso.uri.edu/aku/akug89005.pdf

By holding a coho for 12 hours at 50 deg, and then icing, you reduce the shelf life from 12 days to about 10 days. It's not a good thing and its not a premium fish but it is perfectly fine for smoking and canning.

But I agree with you completely, I need to come with a better fish storage system for the summer time.
    Kard, I'm completely sincere!!! When I had a smaller boat, I always struggled with this problem and was often disappointed in the quality of myfish when they hit the cleaning table. The flesh was often soft and the tissue gaped very easily. Now I carry lots of ice in a separate cooler and as I add fish to my fish hold (cooler), I layer ice on them to keep the fish cold. I cringe sometimes when I'm at the docks and I see boats come in with the fish held in a garbage can, been baking in the sun all day, or even just the heat from the motor etc. Yummy!!

I figured that you had a plan, you seem to think everything through pretty thoroughly. Good luck on the derby.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Kard, I'm completely sincere!!! When I had a smaller boat, I always struggled with this problem and was often disappointed in the quality of myfish when they hit the cleaning table. The flesh was often soft and the tissue gaped very easily. Now I carry lots of ice in a separate cooler and as I add fish to my fish hold (cooler), I layer ice on them to keep the fish cold. I cringe sometimes when I'm at the docks and I see boats come in with the fish held in a garbage can, been baking in the sun all day, or even just the heat from the motor etc. Yummy!!

I figured that you had a plan, you seem to think everything through pretty thoroughly. Good luck on the derby.
    My apologies. I know you are sincere. I just meant to say that if anyone has good advice, I'm all ears! I definitely do NOT have a monopoly on good ideas for sure.

Love to talk fish! I appreciate your input!

The smaller of the two fish in the double picture is a walleye pollock.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Question Idea

I saw you this weekend, didn't realize it was you until today. Here is an idea I just heard about today (after my trip of course); the charter boats will let a live swimming Silver stay on a hook/line swimming around from the bow of the boat, out of the way of the fisherman in the back. The idea being; Silvers are a schooling fish that will attract other fish. Makes sense, because the bite is usually on or off for silvers, just look at how the fleet of boats usually do, everyones catching or no ones catching!

Your kayak is perfect for this, versus a power boat, you can keep it there for a long time. Humanely and legally, that swimming fish is, or shall be, technically your stringer. As far as tangled lines with a newly caught on swimming around the one on the "stringer" good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    I saw you this weekend, didn't realize it was you until today. Here is an idea I just heard about today (after my trip of course); the charter boats will let a live swimming Silver stay on a hook/line swimming around from the bow of the boat, out of the way of the fisherman in the back. The idea being; Silvers are a schooling fish that will attract other fish. Makes sense, because the bite is usually on or off for silvers, just look at how the fleet of boats usually do, everyones catching or no ones catching!

Your kayak is perfect for this, versus a power boat, you can keep it there for a long time. Humanely and legally, that swimming fish is, or shall be, technically your stringer. As far as tangled lines with a newly caught on swimming around the one on the "stringer" good luck.
    Wow...scary good idea with tons of potential. I have a few issues like keeping hte fish out of my drive and rudder. But the concept is a very solid one from my observations. Thanks! Whether it works or not, that's thinking outside the box! Talk about one really super sized flasher while mooching!

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    The smaller of the two fish in the double picture is a walleye pollock.
    You are absolutely correct! Good catch. It fell off as I was bringing it in. But the picture makes it very clear! Hate to be wrong on fish identification.

I was thinking one of the smaller silvers might have been a small king but didn't see spots on the tail. Black outside gums but white where the teeth are. I have only caught a thousand kings before... But the ocean environment and small immature kings are something I don't have as much experience in. Will try to post other pics later.

Good job! can't wait to get down to the water!

Took a day off Tomorrow (WED) so I will be in Seward! Gonna hit it this weekend as well! let me know if you are down there!

my brother and I will be down there, of course using kayaks! see you there, hopefully will be on the water by 12 at the very latest!

Quote Originally Posted by dudemandude View Post
    my brother and I will be down there, of course using kayaks! see you there, hopefully will be on the water by 12 at the very latest!
    Ugh..4am...ok, motivating.

Are you talking about today or the weekend? Should be on water by 8am. Paddling out to Caines Head and fishing anywhere I hit fish. PM sent with cell

If the weather isn't all windy and driving rain, I'm shooting for getting to Seward Friday morning early and getting out on the water by 7 a.m. Do you know where to get derby tickets early in the morning?

I see that the leader right now has a 19.15 pound fish caught near Caine's Head. Pretty sure there's a 19.5 pounder swimming right near Miller's Landing.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bibico View Post
    If the weather isn't all windy and driving rain, I'm shooting for getting to Seward Friday morning early and getting out on the water by 7 a.m. Do you know where to get derby tickets early in the morning?

I see that the leader right now has a 19.15 pound fish caught near Caine's Head. Pretty sure there's a 19.5 pounder swimming right near Miller's Landing.....
    The fish house opens at 6am I think. That's where I got my ticket. Maybe safeway has them.

I bet there are! I'd consider at least trying ot get out ot Tonsina Creek. If you can get out to the Tonsina, I'd say between Miller's Landing and off Tonsina Creek have produced 80% of the action for me. Saturday is currently 50% chain of rain, variable winds to 15mph, seas 3ft. Not great but within reason.

here's someone who has way too much time on their hands. Talks a little about average weights from locations. I wish it had more detail.....
    http://welcometoseward.net/rec-pages/silver-salmon2.php

"the charter boats will let a live swimming Silver stay on a hook/line swimming around from the bow of the boat, out of the way of the fisherman in the back. The idea being; Silvers are a schooling fish that will attract other fish. Makes sense, because the bite is usually on or off for silvers, just look at how the fleet of boats usually do, everyones catching or no ones catching!
    "

I have wondered about keeping your fish in the water when yak fishing, but didnt consider it a good idea because of the potential for having a seal come and take hold of my stringer. while that would make a heck of a story, It might make for a misrebly cold trip if he pulls you over and drags your kayak any didstance. I have seen a lot of seals while ocean fishing, and they seem to be around whenever/ wherever the fish are. They have gotten quite close to me, without me trying to get to get close from my end at all. So, with that in mind, is it a good idea, or not? do you think a seal would get that close to a kayak for an easy meal? Just wondering, because I really need a good way to keep them cold too.