Thread: Berry Identification

Default Berry Identification

Anyone have a website to help me identify alaskan berries? Something with pictures, description of ranges, etc.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sunny View Post
    Anyone have a website to help me identify alaskan berries? Something with pictures, description of ranges, etc.

Thanks.
    More than just berries, this is a good reference to have in the field.

The only possibly tricky berries are the bog cranberries the grow close to the ground which can be confused with dogwood berries (which will make you sick) High bush cranberries are distinctive, and stinky

Other then that, blueberries don't have anything to mistake them with, though they grow in the same area as lingonberries which are almost black in color and not as sweet as blueberries. Rasberries and salmonberries are distinctive.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I don't know of a website, but we have several books in our bookstore for identifying berries in Alaska. HERE'S THE LINK.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay