Thread: Loading my first batch of ammo

Talking Loading my first batch of ammo

Well, after months of planning, buying equipment, reading, reading, more reading, asking questions and visiting Murphy once (need to do that again). I have everything to load my first batch of ammo. Looking for any input and opinions. I am going to load up some reduced load 44mag plinking rounds. I want to start getting good with my Super BlackHawk. Here's what I have.

Once fired brass
    Unique Powder- 7 or 8 grains???
    240gr .430 lead cast SWC's (no gas checks) got 500 pretty cheap- 30 bucks.
    CCI 300 primers

Should I load up some at 7, some at 7.5 and some at 8gr? From what I understand these loads should be around 800 fps. What do you all think?

Perry

Wink

Perry, I think your going to have fun! Get your self a brass 45 cal brush, used to remove barrel leading if it happens. If the lands lead up your accuracy goes south, happens all the time with .357"s. I just loaded up some 320 grain Cp cast gas ck. type bullets, Starline brass, WLP primers, 21 grains H110, heavy crimp. These tested safe in my SBH, and SRH rugers, super accurate! FYI I just replaced my cyl. lock pin spring in my RSB, 4 5/8ths, barrel. The spring would work it"s way loose with the heavy loads , easy cheep fix if it happens with yours. Enjoy Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Thanks. Sounds like a whopper moose hunting/bear load. That's what I'll work up to. Not sure about 320's though. They fit in your SBH huh? At this point I have been leaning towards the Cast Performance 300gr. I'll get a few rounds under my belt first though. Thanks for the info, I'd been wondering about starline brass. I've read that it's pretty good. When I start loading up my hunting loads I'll get some new brass.

Default Nice .44 loads...

7 or 8 grains of Unique? Yes.
    Nice load. Won't beat you up, accurate, economical, about where I load .44 Specials.
    Good place to start with your reloading. What's cool is after that first shot goes off, and you realize ya done it, you'll be needing someone to chisel the grin off your face!
    Worry about the 'barn burners' later. Plenty of time for that.

You will find real quick that you loads buck a bit harder than anything you've bought at Sportsmans Warehouse so I'm all for starting low and working up. Its kinda funny to watch how hard a pistol will buck on an MT chamber hehe. After you shoot a few, only load 5 and spin the cylinder. Then take aim and fire all six. If it bucks real hard on the one MT chamber you might want to reduce the load a bit.

Wink

Snyd, thats some bad face! The loads fit just fine, mine is a new model SB. The starline brass I find to be good stuff, primer pockets tight, no case trimming when new, over all length very close, so you just prime, flare, charge, and seat with crimp. I think some of the special ammo makers use it also, but I"m not sure. Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Right on, good to hear your about to load of some rounds of your own.

When I was at the range about to torch off some of my first reloaded rounds for my 44 mag I stood at the table re-tracing my reloading steps over and over again just to make sure I didn't make a mistake. While reloading I was very careful to use the right powder and the right amount of it so I knew the most curcial part was well taken care of. But I was still wondering if I should have brought my atv helmet, carhart overalls, and heavy duty eye protection. After that first round I felt much better!