Thread: Denali Highway Caribou

Default Denali Highway Caribou

I'm headed up in about a week, bringing the motorhome and trailer. My biggest concern at this point is finding adaquate parking. My goal is to hunt in the Clearwater non motorized area. If for some reason I end up camping in the non-motorized side of the road due to lack of room can I still hunt the area? My idea was to leave the non-motorized area, then start my hunt on foot. If I am lucky enough to fill my tag I would hike all the meat out of the non motorized area first, then to my camp. Am I just overthinking this?, Is there plenty of parking still available two weeks into the season?, or should I just keep driving until I fnd a spot, then use the four wheel to access my starting point? Any help or advce would be appreciated, but with only a week before I leave I may just be hunting where I can park versus hunting where I scouted this summer.

sorry my "i" key sticks and spellcheck didn't pick it up for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxindy View Post
    If for some reason I end up camping in the non-motorized side of the road due to lack of room can I still hunt the area?

I think you mean motorized side?

should I just keep driving until I fnd a spot, then use the four wheel to access my starting point? Any help or advce would be appreciated, but with only a week before I leave I may just be hunting where I can park versus hunting where I scouted this summer.
    I don't see why you can't park wherever you can and then use your atv to get to the non-motorized CUA if you have to. You can use the Denali to transport game from the CUA side of the road (after you hump it out of the CUA) to your motorhome if it was parked on the motorized side.

On a side note, I blew out two trailer tires pulling my snowmachine trailer up that way, on the gravel. I was driving slowly (30 mph or less) and was not overloaded. My trailer has the crappy, nylon, chinese-made 20x8x10 tires on it. Bring spares if you have the same type of crappy snowmachine trailer tires. I think the 13-15" tires/wheels would be fine though.

Check the milepost too. I don't have one. It will tell where all the pull-outs are.
    Tim

OK. After I re-read your post, you ARE talking about whether the issue is if you can park your RV + trailer on the non-motorized side and still hunt the CUA. Yea, that's not a problem at all as long as you're on foot when you're hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    On a side note, I blew out two trailer tires pulling my snowmachine trailer up that way, on the gravel. I was driving slowly (30 mph or less) and was not overloaded. My trailer has the crappy, nylon, chinese-made 20x8x10 tires on it. Bring spares if you have the same type of crappy snowmachine trailer tires. I think the 13-15" tires/wheels would be fine though.
    Thanks Tim, I've gone thru a couple tires already from this summer so I have some pretty good rubber, spare, plus a tire repair kit.

I do agree, I believe as long as you start and end your hunt on foot you're good. I could be wrong, I'll be doing some more research before I leave

If it says non-motorised, then nothing with a motor can be in the area. I would not chance it, you might lose your rig.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

there really only two access points to hunt the non motorized area that i can think of...without having to slog brush for 2-4 miles...
    take a bicyle and ride up windy creek or valdez creek....we saw bulls all over up valdez creek and its a great road to ride a bike on for sure!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    there really only two access points to hunt the non motorized area that i can think of...without having to slog brush for 2-4 miles...
    take a bicyle and ride up windy creek or valdez creek....we saw bulls all over up valdez creek and its a great road to ride a bike on for sure!!
    Yeah tux take a bicycle!!

(inside joke, tux was giving me some good natured ribbing the other day about my upcoming bicycle hunt.)

Funny AKF, I was about to text you and see if I can borrow yours. Wherever I end up I'll have fun but it won't be on a bike. I'm really hoping to camp in the pullout I stayed in all summer, then none of this will matter.

Look at the other post about the hunters that were sited with there vehicle in the closed area. They were sited. You can drive in the area as long as your not hunting. If your hunting you need to keep your vehicle out of the area. Makes for more work but it's the rules

Page 68 of the regs;

"2. Clearwater Creek Controlled Use Area: ........This does not prohibit motorized access, or transportation of game on the Denali Highway and adjacent highway vehicle parking areas."

There you go. Good post Superx. There is no problem with camping on the non-motorized side. Just don't use the atv to hunt. What Superx posted tells me you can ride your atv up and down the Denali, looking for a placer to get up on a hill and glass, as long as the hunter's on foot in the cua. Shouldn't be cited for camping/parking in the cua. Driving a vehicle in the cua while hunting is a no-no.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    There you go. Good post Superx. There is no problem with camping on the non-motorized side. Just don't use the atv to hunt. What Superx posted tells me you can ride your atv up and down the Denali, looking for a placer to get up on a hill and glass, as long as the hunter's on foot in the cua. Shouldn't be cited for camping/parking in the cua. Driving a vehicle in the cua while hunting is a no-no.

Tim
    Depends where you park and if your there on a hunting trip or just camping. It can be tough to decipher all the regs but the troopers have no problem letting you know when you did something wrong.

Looks like they've been nailing people for driving in the Delta cua recently.

Tim

Thanks for all the advice. I think in order to avoid a possible citation I'll be camping outside the CUA. Hopefully I can find a spot to park, then use the ATV to access where I want to hunt. Leaving the ATV outside the CUA of course. I think I could park up Valdez Creek, leave the CUA on foot before re-entering but the perception of the Officer is all the matters and I'm sure they would see it differently.

There are a lot of pullouts and I'm headed up mid week following the weekend opener, I should find one....I hope.

I belive Valdez creek is in the cua. You can't park in it, walk out of the area and then re-enter to hunt. Your motorized transportation must remain out of the CUA exept for transport of game on the Denali HWY and adjacent parking areas. Not side roads, not trails only adjacent parking areas. Keep it simple and don't try and manipulate the regs. The troopers will win. This is why everyone uses mt bikes or feet and makes the area more difficult to hunt.
    If you want to hunt the cua then I wouldn't even bring the wheeler.