Thread: New to Alaska

Default New to Alaska

Whats going on? I just moved to Alaska 2 weeks ago. I got a little place in Anchorage to finish up school at UAA. I did a lot of DH back in California, so i really want to get into it up here. I've read a lot of different posts and have come to the conclusion that I do not know **** about DH, at least DH in Alaska. I have very minimal gear, for i had to sell a lot of it to get up here. Im not asking for hand me outs, just good advice on what i need to get started, and where to go?

Welcome to the forum 870sm, and to Alaska. I hope you grow to love Alaska as much as I have. Bud
    Wasilla

If you were hunting the Central Valley......you will find Anchorage duck hunting very poor in comparison. Mostly bird numbers, and length of the season you actually get to use.

the best duck hunting on the road system near Anchorage requires a small boat or a strong level of fitness.

Where to go: Jim Creek Swamps from Maud Road or the Knik River ATV trails. Includes Jim Lake, Mud Lake, Gull Lake, Swan Lake, and Leaf Lake. Very little shore hunting due to the harsh terrain, but you can use a boat to get to spots that are great shore hunting areas.
    The Palmer Hay Flats State Refuge has boat access at two points, and then walk in access at Cotton Wood creek.

You can also hunt the Anchorage Coastal Refuge. There are some good threads on here already for that info.

Walk in hunting can be had down along the 20 Mile River in Portage, or you can take a river boat up to get further back in.

What you need: a dozen decoys, gun, and a few boxes of ammo. Sometimes calling works. A canoe would improve access. Quality chest waders. Just the usual stuff.

870SM...welcome to Alaska..a TON of information on this forum..do some research and look through the previous old and new posts..you will be overwhelmed with information...as far as getting out and shooting ducks... I have a few weeks in September to chase the birds..dont mind taking you out and showing you the ropes..you should be able to PM me your number or email..we can talk.

Welcome again.
    DH01
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

What about the nancy lake system? Have a canoe -- is this a good place to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Moose&Duck_Hunter View Post
    What about the nancy lake system? Have a canoe -- is this a good place to go?
    that is a state rec area and is archery only. no firearms until you are outside the boundaries.

If you have a canoe, go to the end of Maud rd, you can access Mud, Gull and Jim lakes easily and they offer good shooting. If you don't have one, invest in a used canoe or small boat, you can buy on CL for $200 or under. My 14' jon boat only cost $150, can't beat a small boat for a seasons worth of hunting.
    Wasilla

Thanks for all the advice! I've been anxious for the season to start, and I can't wait to kill some ducks.

Great posts....I'm in a similar situation to yours (870sm). However, I would appreciate some advise on where to go in the Fairbanks area. I've been up here for about a year now and am loving it so far. This summer has left me with a freezer full of fish already. Any advise on hunting the Fairbanks area would be greatly appreciated!

Stephen

@akblackdawg - how far is Jim Lake from Maud Road? Would it be possible to carry / drag an inflatable down there?

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    If you have a canoe, go to the end of Maud rd, you can access Mud, Gull and Jim lakes easily and they offer good shooting. If you don't have one, invest in a used canoe or small boat, you can buy on CL for $200 or under. My 14' jon boat only cost $150, can't beat a small boat for a seasons worth of hunting.

About 10 ft from where you can park...weather dependant...
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    About 10 ft from where you can park...weather dependant...
    and dependent on how the partiers have left the mud tracks. i usually park in one of the camp spots which makes it about a 50 foot drag to the water. out near the water are too many fire rings and burnt nails for me to venture and get a flat.

Quote Originally Posted by CountryThunder View Post
    @akblackdawg - how far is Jim Lake from Maud Road? Would it be possible to carry / drag an inflatable down there?
    keep in mind that jim lake is at the very end of the road. you drive right by the boat "ramp" at mud lake.

do not park down on the ramp at mud lake. canoeists and kayakers do it all the time and end up blocking the ramp for guys trying to get a boat on a trailer backed into the water.

Follow Maud rd, at the end is jim lake, you can drive right to it, just before jim is mud lake, you can also drive right to it. The short road/trail down to mud lake is drivable with a boat and trailer but be careful and watch others launch first so you see how its done, not much room there and can be very muddy. Mud lake is the perfered access, from it you can access all the lakes in the system except jim, which is not connected. look at the sign with map just after the pavement ends on maud rd. Bud
    Wasilla