Thread: Ruffed Grouse

Default Ruffed Grouse

Anybody been seeing any numbers yet???

TZ,

A bit early yet to be seeing a whole lot of grouse. Birds are still young and the broods move about as little as possible and try not to be seen. Adults are also doing some molting and laying low, too. I suspect there will be a fair number of ruffed grouse about this fall, up a bit from previous years. But you'll still have to work hard for them as we're not near a high in the cycle by any sense. As we get into mid-September the ruffs will begin some dispersing and you'll likely see more.

Hope you have a grand season!

Jim

Hey Jim....was just a question

I dont usually start getting out for them until after Sept. 15 after moose season for everyone. I might hike around the weekend before but nothing to serious....

Saw some, and shot some. A lot of young grouse out and about. I wish the season was pushed back till Sept 1 in the enterior region. I hate to lose hunting opportunities, but the birds are just to darn young in August.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Hoyt,

I agree. Kids start school so early now that that reason is not viable anymore. I think the hunting would be better if we deferred shooting at them until after Sept. 1. JMO. In any event, I can personally choose to NOT hunt them until after a certain date. The birds will be impacted though especially in their family groups. What reasons are there for shooting them the second week of August?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Woodsman View Post
    Hoyt,

I agree. Kids start school so early now that that reason is not viable anymore. I think the hunting would be better if we deferred shooting at them until after Sept. 1. JMO. In any event, I can personally choose to NOT hunt them until after a certain date. The birds will be impacted though especially in their family groups. What reasons are there for shooting them the second week of August?
    I don't really know why the seasons are what they are. We have a pretty healthy population of birds in the interior. So maybe it was decided they can survive the impact of an early start to hunting them?!?!? Maybe Jim has some insight on that. Like I said, I would have no problem having the season pushed back till Sept 1 around here. I will admit that I do hunt them in early August, but in a limited fashion. This year with the new dog, I will be out more in the early part of the season than normal.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

ADF&G is all about maximizing the opportunities for hunters. And then there is regulation based on subsistence issues. Nah, I don't generally take birds this time of year, with the exception of a few over the decades taken over a new pup. But it's a good time to be out with gun in hand, scouting covers, and for a dogman, it's a good time to tune up the dog and teach goofy young birds to fly. I guess you could think of it as bird training time! The bird season has been opening on August 10 for a very long time. Too hot and too many leaves on the trees right now anyhow.

Jim

I remember reading somewhere years ago that the grouse and ptarmigan opening was early so sheep and caribou hunters could shoot them for camp meat. Makes some sense and back when that season was established there were dang few dedicated upland hunters in Alaska. I too agree that the August birds are a bit young although the young spruce grouse with their still white meat are among the best eating of all. Even though there are now a fair number of dedicated upland hunters in Alaska, the effect hunters have on game bird populations in Alaska is nil. Of course in some high pressure areas hunters do make some difference it just does not amount to much in the overall scheme of things. And even though I think it is too early, I still find myself in the field every August taking a few birds getting the dogs ready for the real hunting just around the corner.

I got two on the 11th (2nd day of season.) By the 13th none were to even be seen or heard.