Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fly rods

Default fly rods

I like to use a fly rod for reds. problem is that i have managed to break my 8#the last 2 years and Lamaglas has been good about replacing it. Is there a better rod for this application, or do I just need a 9#?

You're breaking an 8wt on reds? I've yarded in over a hundred coho in one day w/ a 6wt lamaglass no problem...I'm thinking it's not a rod problem but what do I know I haven't caught reds in the Kenai since the 5th grade

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Im not fly rod expert but it sounds like the rod has something wrong with it or your working it wrong. An 8 weight is pretty sturdy and shouldnt be breaking on a fish that weighs max 15 lbs.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

You may have had the split shot/sinker hit the rod while casting it. This little ding can make your rod break later while fighting a fish.
    An 8 shouldn't break on reds. If they replace it every time that sounds like a pretty good deal.

My thoughts if this happened to me would be: 2 most common causes of fly rod breakage are high sticking or damage; dings in the rod (split shot, rocks, etc)which weaken it and lead to breakage under loading conditions as power drifter posted. If my rod should break, these would be my first 2 thoughts.

Are the rods breaking at the tip-end?

Some tips from the folks at Scott: http://www.scottflyrod.com/services1...ce...including the section on high-sticking: "...When playing and landing fish, try to avoid rod angles greater than 45-50 degrees. Never lift a fish so that the butt of the rod is pointing at the fish (high sticking) or use your non grip hand to lift fish from the middle of the rod".

Good luck.

Default High production values across the industry, but still some quirks in high end gear...

Reduced weight and stronger performance characteristics are features of a lot of high end gear nowadays, flyrods included. But the components involved can have their quirks. The more I pay for each piece of gear, the more I've paid attention to the labels/instructions for maintenance/best use. (Could be somehow related to getting older maybe?) For waterproof/breathable fabrics for example, like Gore Tex, they need to be washed (oils, dirt impair fabric function). High end optics: scopes, binocs etc have delicate coatings, so I now clean my optics differently. And fly rods too. I've received two exceptional rods as gifts over the years. Here's an email excerpt (from the VP Marketing at TFO rods) in response to my inquiry about rod breakage awhile back. I've had excellent experiences with TFO rods, but not everyone has:

"...Modern fly rods are wonderful pieces of equipment but they are far from bulletproof. Carbon fiber is a wonderful material, light and responsive...and very thin walled in the most vulnerable part of the rod, the upper 1/2-1/3. Incidentally, there are not many makers of carbon fiber, we're not the only rod manufacturing company (or aerospace company..LOL) purchasing raw material from our supplier...hyperbole or marketing spin aside.

Lead eyes breaks may not be apparent at the moment the collision occurs, but if any of the fibers are damaged, it is only a matter of time before the rod fails. The higher the modulus count (back to hyperbole) the more susceptible a rod is to an impact break as it takes less material to achieve a desired stiffness.

High sticking breaks are a simple matter of physics. Carbon fiber has a 3 to 1 stretch vs. compression ratio (give or take but 3/1 is close enough), on the contrary, fiberglass (think ugly stick) is almost 1 to 1. When a carbon fiber tube is bent past the materials capabilities the bottom part of the bend collapses into itself. This is an experiment you can do with a McDonald's straw... The radical taper on ...[some] rods creates a longer stiffer butt section, which shortens the arc in the upper third of the rod. Longer less aggressive tapers are not as susceptible as the rod can be shaped into a longer smoother arc.

... Once a rod/series is approved for production, there are no changes made in the materials and/or our manufacturing process for lifetime of that rod/series...consistency is paramount. We also keep very close tabs on rods returned for warranty work (as do our competitors), less than 1% of our total rods in the market are sent in for repair on the annual basis. I would also venture a guess that's pretty much the industry standard.

Thanks for taking us fishing!
    Best regards,
    Jim

PS: Alaska is very tough on rods...most are high sticking breaks..."

If you hear from Lamiglas, be interested to hear if there's some other factor. Sometimes, I'm certain there is more to the story. Good thread. Thanks.

Spot on advice from Power Drifter and 6xLeech.

Video below adds to their suggestion...

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

My solution for you, buy a Loomis!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

A $600 fly rod will snap just as easy as a $200 fly rod.

Just hurts more
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default fly rod breakage

Where did the rod break - at a joint, the tip, or ??

I've seen a number of breaks of cheap and high end 3 piece rods at the top joint over the years. It also seems don't see near as many 3 piece rods for sale as i did in years past.

Quote Originally Posted by bydingtime View Post
    I like to use a fly rod for reds. problem is that i have managed to break my 8#the last 2 years and Lamaglas has been good about replacing it. Is there a better rod for this application, or do I just need a 9#?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

rod broke about 1 ft above joint, heard loomis was bought out and has changed their return policy (not as friendly)

Unfortunatly I have broken a few Loomis rods while fishing. Most of them 18" or so from the tip. These were not being "horsed" or high sticking. They just broke (all in the same place). I also have several Sage rods that I have fished for longer than any of my Loomis rods and the only one of those I (or family and friends) have broke is one that got closed in the trunk lid... My bad but it was still replaced by Sage with no problems. As was stated earlier, Loomis has sold to an overseas company and now will not stand by their rods as they used to. In fact all the older Loomis rods that were bought with lifetime warranties no longer have "Lifetime" Warranties. At least that is what I was told the last time I tried to have one replaced. It was not replaced by the way. No more Loomis for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    No more Loomis for me...

You, me, and a lot of other folks I suspect.

Sad to hear.

They were one of the top five....

Scott
    Sage
    RL Winston
    St Croix
    ????

That is a major bummer, I haven't broken any of the loomis' I own, so I never had to contact them to get them replaced. But if you are going to buy a company that was built on G Loomis' reputation and waranty, you would think that they would continue to keep the thing that makes people buy thier rods going. Darn foreigners!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default greedy Americans!

I'd place the blame on greedy Americans- MBAs, owners, etc! They certainly didn't have to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    That is a major bummer, I haven't broken any of the loomis' I own, so I never had to contact them to get them replaced. But if you are going to buy a company that was built on G Loomis' reputation and waranty, you would think that they would continue to keep the thing that makes people buy thier rods going. Darn foreigners!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Great video clip, Dan. Thanks.
    I've got you all repped out apparently, but the clip was perfect illustration of key points.
    And, featured Echo rods... maybe soon to be the new #5??

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Great video clip, Dan. Thanks.
    I've got you all repped out apparently, but the clip was perfect illustration of key points.
    And, featured Echo rods... maybe soon to be the new #5??
    The Echos are bomb-proof AND won't break the bank (The Ion 8-wt is $180). Take a look at Tim Rajeff's "stress test" videos on YouTube. Both World Wide Angler and Mossy's carry Echo. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

You're landing the fish wrong. When the fish is close back up instead of trying to pull it up to your hands. And back up with less bend in the rod.

Almost all fly rods are broken when landing the fish.

Got older model Winstons and no problems from NC trout to some pretty big redfish, jacks and more than a few snook. I always let off enough line to straighten out the tip a little while keeping some pressure on the fish, back off the drag in case it runs and land the fish using a net, boga or my hands. Looking forward to adding salmon, grayling and...

10 weight rig coming in the spring for some mahi and tarpon.

Whoa, SC - redfish on a flyrod??? And Jacks - as in Crevalle?? Yawza. How does that happen - chum the fish up first? Sporty, I bet.
    (Sorry Bydingtime).

Quote Originally Posted by SC2079BS View Post
    Got older model Winstons and no problems from NC trout to some pretty big redfish, jacks and more than a few snook. I always let off enough line to straighten out the tip a little while keeping some pressure on the fish, back off the drag in case it runs and land the fish using a net, boga or my hands. Looking forward to adding salmon, grayling and...

10 weight rig coming in the spring for some mahi and tarpon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast